Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

BPA banned in baby bottles.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

I'm posting it here because often babies get their nutrition (food) from these bottles.

The FDA has stepped up to the plate and finally has banned them.
Article here-
http://www.msnbc.msn...ildrens_health/

See also our related thread on this topic-
http://www.altenergy...ing-bpa-levels/

#2 QuatreHiead

QuatreHiead

Regular

• Shifter
  • 62 posts 5 rep

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

This is great news to hear. I'm surprised this is not a change which was instated much earlier. Perhaps it has something to do with there are no clear physical links to the effect of BPA to date? I know that children's toys which used lead containing paints were banned, why not the same for BPA and baby/children items?

Does this mean that FDA will eventually get around to banning the us of BPA in all products? I sure hope so, because it is perfectly feasible clearly, it's just there is little incentive for manufacturers to do so it seems. I'm glad to see more and more BPA free products on the market.

Thanks for this update Shortpoet-GTD!

#3 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Wow, I didn't even think about BPA being in baby bottles! Glad they are changing this now, just wish they never allowed it in the first place.  My kids both had bottles for the first year of their lives :sad:

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostQuatreHiead, on 18 July 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

Does this mean that FDA will eventually get around to banning the us of BPA in all products?
Thanks for this update Shortpoet-GTD!
After more foot dragging, maybe.
Always, always look for the BPA free label.

And you are most welcome. :biggrin:
It's just ire raising that it took this &^%$(*& long!

Related topics-
http://www.altenergy...-bpa-free-cans/
http://www.altenergy...ge__hl__soaring

(Canned goods are not good-they contain high levels of that junk.) Please check out both links for more info.

#5 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

It's definitely a step in the right direction.  I believe France is the first country to make all out ban.

California tried to ban BPA last year, but the bill was blocked.  There is another bill coming down the pike this year or the beginning of next year.  As we get less and less Republican state legislators in the state it will become a reality.

BPA is said to affect the brain and behavior.  It makes you wonder how many modern behavioral problems found in children might be linked to the chemical since infants and children are affected by it more severely than adults.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 18 July 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

It's definitely a step in the right direction.  I believe France is the first country to make all out ban.

California tried to ban BPA last year, but the bill was blocked.  There is another bill coming down the pike this year or the beginning of next year.  As we get less and less Republican state legislators in the state it will become a reality.

BPA is said to affect the brain and behavior.  It makes you wonder how many modern behavioral problems found in children might be linked to the chemical since infants and children are affected by it more severely than adults.
And especially if the mothers warm up the liquid in a microwave. More toxins are released from the heat.
Cold apple juice, maybe not as much.

#7 aphil

aphil

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 100 posts 10 rep

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

I am so happy and relieved for all the babies who won't be exposed. It is amazing how they can justify doing something like this in the first place. It is like every thing we must put under scrutiny in order to safeguard ourselves and our families.
The article is very informative about all the other sources of BPA and that is helpful. Thanks for keeping us updated, as usual Shortpoet.

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

View Postaphil, on 05 August 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

I am so happy and relieved for all the babies who won't be exposed. It is amazing how they can justify doing something like this in the first place. It is like every thing we must put under scrutiny in order to safeguard ourselves and our families.
The article is very informative about all the other sources of BPA and that is helpful. Thanks for keeping us updated, as usual Shortpoet.
You're welcome. :biggrin:

#9 fancyfingers

fancyfingers

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 13 rep

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yeah! About time! It would be a wonderful thing if moms would breast feed and/or use glass bottles. It would be great if people would realize, people got along fine without plastic bottles, plates, etc and people could do fine without them again. Granted, glass does break and you can get cut from it, but it can be recycled over and over again. Glass jars are great for canning and storing items.

#10 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

There are definitely hazards with using glass that makes people reluctant.  My Mom was cooking a roast in the oven in a glass Pyrex pan a few years back.  She went to pour in some water to freshen the bottom and the pan shattered into millions of glass fragments.  It scared her to death.  She never cooked with glass baking pans ever again.

I can say that sometimes I prefer plastic containers because they are lightweight.  I have arthritis in both hands.  Sometimes containers are too heavy for me to handle.  I can't get a good hold on them when I'm washing them.  I have a tendency to drop things, so I stay away from glass.  Still, that doesn't mean plastic needs BPA.

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 10 August 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

There are definitely hazards with using glass that makes people reluctant.  My Mom was cooking a roast in the oven in a glass Pyrex pan a few years back.  She went to pour in some water to freshen the bottom and the pan shattered into millions of glass fragments.  It scared her to death.  She never cooked with glass baking pans ever again.

I can say that sometimes I prefer plastic containers because they are lightweight.  I have arthritis in both hands.  Sometimes containers are too heavy for me to handle.  I can't get a good hold on them when I'm washing them.  I have a tendency to drop things, so I stay away from glass.  Still, that doesn't mean plastic needs BPA.
BPA or not, please don't  microwave plastics of any sort. If it's possible, depending on food type, use
paper plates or a smaller pyrex glass bowl.  For storage, ok but not for warming up foods.

#12 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Why in the world would the manufacturers allow it in the first place? Seems very simple, not to have the bottles contain such from the start. Good that it is going to be, or is banned.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:05 AM

View Postartistry, on 11 August 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Why in the world would the manufacturers allow it in the first place? Seems very simple, not to have the bottles contain such from the start. Good that it is going to be, or is banned.
Rush to market, rush to profits.
They didn't think beyond their wallets to the idea that heating from microwaves would release toxins. And, a lot
of it is imported from countries where standards are lax or non-existent.

#14 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

It seems like a typical cycle repeated over and over.  They come up with a "better" way to make something, meaning quicker and cheaper.  They mass produce it without sufficient study.  Then, 10-20 years later reports start coming out that the product causes health problems.  They deny it.

Several years later, the government gets in on the act and does its' own studies.  At that point, they finally decide a chemical or additive causes health problems.  The company files a lawsuit and has a tantrum for a couple of more years.  Then, finally, someone decides they can, in fact, make the product differently--or they are forced to.  Meanwhile, the people, especially children, who have been subjected to these things suffer with the health problems.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 16 August 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

It seems like a typical cycle repeated over and over.  They come up with a "better" way to make something, meaning quicker and cheaper.  They mass produce it without sufficient study.  Then, 10-20 years later reports start coming out that the product causes health problems.  They deny it.

Several years later, the government gets in on the act and does its' own studies.  At that point, they finally decide a chemical or additive causes health problems.  The company files a lawsuit and has a tantrum for a couple of more years.  Then, finally, someone decides they can, in fact, make the product differently--or they are forced to.  Meanwhile, the people, especially children, who have been subjected to these things suffer with the health problems.
But that's the American way, don't ya know? :wacko: US consumers are the guinea pigs in many things. That's especially
true with medicines.

#16 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Shortpoet, unfortunately, it is!  I was one of those unlucky people on Vioxx when they were pulled off the shelf.  I think I'd been taken them for 2-3 years when it came out that the company had hidden their research findings from the FDA.  You know, in this case, they probably wouldn't have had an issue if they had turned over their findings.  They would have been required to put a warning label on their products.  Doctors would have know there was a risk for people with heart problems.  Instead, they decided to hide the problems so they could make money.  In the end, people were harmed.  If the doctors had had that bit of information about Vioxx, they might have prescribed it more cautiously.  In arthritis circles, it was touted as a new generation of miracle drugs, so you know they shifted many patients from traditional NSAIDS to Vioxx.

#17 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

I blame pharmaceutical lobbyist's.
Years ago, they didn't have such a stranglehold and medicines (otc & prescriptions) were tested longer and more
vigorously.
The last few decades? Weeks, or months of testing compared to years.
Their version of a double blind study? :huh:
Look the other way.

#18 dissn_it

dissn_it

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 183 posts 6 rep

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 17 August 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

I blame pharmaceutical lobbyist's.
Years ago, they didn't have such a stranglehold and medicines (otc & prescriptions) were tested longer and more
vigorously.
The last few decades? Weeks, or months of testing compared to years.
Their version of a double blind study? :huh:
Look the other way.
That explains why we see so many of those attorney commercials now! You know the ones that start off with "Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with ________after taking the prescription drug________?"

It is about time they banned BPA use in baby bottles, never should have been allowed in the first place.

#19 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

http://www.opensecre...dus.php?ind=E01

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that
93 percent of people
had detectable levels of BPA in their urine." What the?
http://werpurple.org...-you-so-lonely/

"The plastics lobby (The Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc), are a force to be reckoned with.
This lobby group has more power in our congress and senate then most. Employing 1.1 million workers and providing
more than $379 billion+ in annual shipments, they are the “golden child” to our senators and congress people.
Aside from what they do for our leaders pockets, they also cause more environmental and human health harm then any other industry.
The Scientific American (the oldest and most respected science publication in America) recently published an
article stating “…Synthetic material has left harmful imprints on the environment and human health, according to a
new compilation of articles authored by scientists from around the world”.
Chemicals added to plastics are absorbed by human bodies.
These compounds have been found to alter hormones and the very DNA that make us …us!
People are exposed to chemicals from plastic multiple times per day through the air, dust, water, food and use of consumer products.
For example, phthalates are used as plasticizers in the manufacture of vinyl flooring and wall coverings, food packaging and
medical devices.
8 out of every 10 babies and nearly all adults have measurable levels of phthalates in their bodies.
In addition, bisphenol A (BPA), found in polycarbonate bottles and the linings of food and beverage cans, can leach into food and drinks."
http://werpurple.org...-you-so-lonely/

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

Update-

"Among its devastating effects, bisphenol A (BPA) -- a common plasticizer in food packaging and water bottles -- has been shown to lower sperm counts, damage the uterus and trigger obesity. It appears that exposures to even tiny doses of the hormone-scrambling chemical could pose serious harm."
Source

Maybe BPA (and it's chemical cousin BPS) is the silver bullet we've all been searching for;  for overpopulation control. :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users