Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

BPA Free Cans

6 replies to this topic

#1 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

BPA (Bisphenol-A) has been a hot topic in California the last two years.  We've been on the verge of banning it a couple of times.  There was another piece of legislation in 2011, but I don't think it was signed by the Governor.

Yesterday, I opened a can of Eden Foods beans.  I was surprised to see the label list it as a "BPA free" container.  With all the discussions that have been on the news about BPA, my impression was that it was used in plastic production only.

Is my metal can not really metal?  Is BPA in more types of containers than I had realized?

I think it's great that Eden Foods has gone BPA free.  It makes me wonder how much more contact I have with it than I was aware of.

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

More info here-
http://www.altenergy...ing-bpa-levels/

#3 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for you thoughts, points and questions on this topic. Also see Eden Foods Bisphenol-A (BPA) Free Pioneer.

#4 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Great information with the links. Thanks for all of it. Hopefully companies will all change their practices.

#5 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hayden, thank you for that informative link.  Now I realize why I only noticed this recently.  They only started labeling their cans as BPA free recently.

These canned beans don't cost anymore than other brands.  I wonder if they have somehow brought down the cost of producing them without BPA or Eden Foods absorbs the costs?

This part of that article is startling:
"Eden was told that they were seeking proprietary, trade secret information and that they could not disclose the requested specifics about the can lining being supplied."

A food manufacturer does not have the right to find out what materials are used in the containers that it buys.  It's considered a trade secret.

It is sad that we do not respect the research done by the EU.  It shows how powerful industries are.  California will pass the ban eventually.  It will be about time.

#6 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Interesting. I guess I was also under the impression that BPA is only found in some plastic products. I have two children so I was always careful about choosing products that were labeled BPA free. I guess I don't buy too much in metal cans, however. Tuna is probably one of the only things... veggies are fresh :)

#7 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

Btatro, BPA is in the news quite a bit in California.  Whenever they talk about it, they always refer to plastic containers especially those that babies use.  I guess the news media does not do the best job at informing us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users