Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Soaring BPA levels.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Grow your own or eat local from a farmers market is the sound byte of the day.

#2 karmaman

karmaman

Regular

• Shifter
  • 56 posts 5 rep

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

I thought that canning our own foods would get around the BPA problem, but I found out today that most canning lids that you buy at the store are also coated with BPA. I wish they would stop using it because I have plenty of BPA free canned foods and canning lids that don't let the food spoil any faster.

#3 KeenGreen

KeenGreen

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 0 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

I had read this story in my news feed a few days ago. I'm glad I'm seeing it again here to remind me that I really want to try to make my voice heard about this.  One article I read said that not all companies use BPA in their canning.  I intend to contact the companies who make my favorite canned products and ask them if theirs do.  And if so, I intend to urge them to change their practices.
I didn't know about Senator Lautenberg's work.  I'll try to throw my support behind that, too.

The EPA needs to create stricter guidelines.  After seeing what they allow for certain alarming chemicals, I don't trust their current standards at all.

#4 Guest_climagician_*

Guest_climagician_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

These people who make the laws eat the same food as we do, they wouldn't poison themselves. Longevity has only increased in the modern age. Better living through chemistry? It's all about dosage. Keep you liver healthy and it will rid your body of most toxins. And I can honestly say this - Why would anyone want to live beyond 60? Seems plain slefishness. I plan to euthanise myself as soon as I reach that age.

#5 KeenGreen

KeenGreen

• Shifter
  • 9 posts 0 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

View Postclimagician, on 04 December 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

Why would anyone want to live beyond 60? Seems plain slefishness. I plan to euthanise myself as soon as I reach that age.

I'm trying to figure out if you're serious or having a go at us.  Your posting history seems to indicate the latter, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
While it's true that the human body can withstand a lot of abuse and dangerous chemicals under certain thresholds, the fact remains that the actual damage caused by some of what the government allows into our food supplies is understudied.  No, I don't think those who work at the EPA are willfully poisoning us, but I think they're operating under "ignorance is bliss" for the most part, with legislation and lobbying keeping their hands tied for the rest.

I'm amused that you think living past 60 is worthless.  I'd wager you'll change your mind when you're older (and hopefully wiser).

Peace.

#6 Guest_climagician_*

Guest_climagician_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

I was always a fan of Logans run - just thought the 30 year cut off was a bit short. Or maybe it could be you get to live 100 years minus 10 for each child you have ;)

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

Going off topic here folks..........

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:43 AM

http://motherjones.c...12/fda-bpa-cans

#9 makeitmom

makeitmom

Curious

• Shifter
  • 45 posts 2 rep

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Reading this was very informative, in fact after doing some reaserch on the internet, I came across this website :

Cans without BPA's
http://inspirationgr...lined-cans.html

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:23 AM

View Postmakeitmom, on 29 December 2011 - 06:38 PM, said:

Reading this was very informative, in fact after doing some reaserch on the internet, I came across this website :

Cans without BPA's
http://inspirationgr...lined-cans.html

Excellent. Thank you very much! :biggrin:

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

This stories about BPA levels soaring from folks eating canned soup.
http://www.cbsnews.c...ned-soup-study/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users