Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Average KwH/day electricity usage?

117 replies to this topic

#1 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

What is your average Kw H/day usage or consumption?

I had checked the bill I had payed last time and i found out that i consumed 3.8 Kw H per day last month. I still find it high since the amount of electricity here is also increasing. Will do effort to lower it for the next months. And lowering electricity consumption is also good for the environment not only in our pockets.

#2 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:43 AM

Interesting topic. Our home uses 31.54 kWh daily as per NV energy report. That's down around 15% over the previous year's avg even though it's summer.

Attached File  avg_kwh.jpg   62.33K   0 downloads

#3 kathie_san

kathie_san

Regular

• Shifter
  • 99 posts 5 rep

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

In my last bill I consume 2.7 Kw/day and that's pretty higher than I expected. I'm going to do measures to lower my consumption for my next bill hopefully, it's just little difficult since I just stay home most of the time and so I can't help but turn on the TV or use the internet for long hours! ^_^

#4 mommymumbles

mommymumbles

Regular

• Shifter
  • 57 posts 4 rep

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

View Postkathie_san, on 23 September 2011 - 08:17 AM, said:

In my last bill I consume 2.7 Kw/day and that's pretty higher than I expected. I'm going to do measures to lower my consumption for my next bill hopefully, it's just little difficult since I just stay home most of the time and so I can't help but turn on the TV or use the internet for long hours! ^_^

I am with you. I am home most of the time too and have the TV on for background noise while I work on the computer. I have to admit I am not good about checking my electric bill and really have no idea how much Kw/day we are using. :blink: But after reading this thread I think I will start. Unfortunately I am probably in for a shock. Maybe by paying attention to the numbers more, I will really get on board here about trying to cut back and save.

#5 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

I must be reading my chart wrong! lol :D

#6 kathie_san

kathie_san

Regular

• Shifter
  • 99 posts 5 rep

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

View Postaltenergy, on 23 September 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

I must be reading my chart wrong! lol :D
LOL I think so too, that's quite high. I thought you live in a home with 10 people with you or maybe you own a computer shop or something. :D

#7 missusyessum

missusyessum

Curious

• Shifter
  • 42 posts 2 rep

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

I took a quick look at our electricity bill and we use 18Kw/day last month. I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly but we do pay a lot for our monthly electricity. I was shocked when I first knew about it, I immediately thought I could buy a new phone with that amount of money. It's quite difficult to lower it down because I'm living with other people but I guess I should still try.

#8 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

View Postaltenergy, on 23 September 2011 - 05:43 AM, said:

Interesting topic. Our home uses 31.54 kWh daily as per NV energy report. That's down around 15% over the previous year's avg even though it's summer.

Attachment avg_kwh.jpg
Living in Las Vegas, Nevada does not help ;) It seems to be the summer heat! January avgs less than 15 kWh. April avgs around 21 kWh, so it seems when the outside temperatures are in excess of 100 degrees (entire summer) it more than doubles our electricity usage!

#9 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:12 AM

If I'm doing the math correctly, about 6 or 7 kWh. However, I also have a strange sleep schedule, so I'm often up in the middle of the night and need a light on. Of course, my last bill was from during the summer, so you can add a couple of fans on high there.

#10 Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Regular

• Shifter
  • 52 posts 0 rep

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:31 AM

I'm not sure what mine is exactly, but I'm kind of an electricity junky. I stay up late so I always have a light on, I use two cpu monitors and I usually have my TV on almost all day, even when I'm not paying attention to it. Not good, I know. I'm gonna turn a light off now.

#11 trusylver

trusylver

Curious

• Shifter
  • 12 posts 0 rep

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

My bill which arrived yesterday tells me that my family averaged 14.7 kWh per day which from what I can find through searching is lower than the 16-18 kWh household usage in Australia.

This is for an all electric household of 5 people (2 adults, 3 teenage boys) this includes running pressure pumps for water supply to the taps (no town water) and pumps used in the sewage treatment plant (no connection to town sewage)

The best part of the bill was the credit at the bottom from generating more electricity than we used :)

#12 Liv

Liv

Curious

• Shifter
  • 49 posts 1 rep

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

I don't know how much I use, I dare not look! I am home all the time too, with my computer on almost constantly so I can work. My utility bills are huge during the winter months and is definitely something I want to change!

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

Went back down to 53kwh for the month last billing. This past summer was brutal though, and my highest
consumption was 571.
I've always used an evaporative cooler (bone dry Texas panhandle) and it's always kept the house
comfortable when outside temps were in the 90's range.
But last summer, we had day after day/weeks of triple digit heat so I broke down and bought
2 a/c window units. OMG 571kwh? I hate the fact of all that extra coal/Co-2 going into the air. :(

#14 Organgrinder Johnson

Organgrinder Johnson

Curious

• Shifter
  • 39 posts 9 rep

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Ok... I'll try this again. Shortpoet, as you know, I've migrated over from Tree Hugger. This was an area in which I posted a fair number of times. My numbgers will olikely be higher than most but I'm not ashamed of them. I have a nice place and make no apologies for it.

The home is 2,981 sq. feet, 1.5 stories, Built Green Level 3 certified (five possible levels) and just shy of level 4 certification. I have r-50 to R-60 in the attic, whatever six inch exterior walls have and R-30 under the floor. Radiant barrier in the attic, also. I am all electric except for a 90% efficient natural gas furnace and cooking. I also ustilize a heat pump and the gas furnace doesn't kick on until it's 20 degrees or less outside. Last year's total gas consumption was 55.9 therms. I have Low e2 argon gas filled windows and alsop use a licensed KVAR unit on my power panel which has saved my roughly 9-11% per year when compared to my base year in the home. I have nearly all CFLs except for three small pendant bulbs over the eating bar. My KWH rates are a smidge under 10 cents a KWH and natural gas rates are $1.23 delivered with all taxes, etc.

I keep my thermostat within a three degree setback (which the HVAC pros recommend for max energy efficieny. If using gas, I would use a five-seven degree setback.) My setbacks as AWAKE: 69, LEAVE: 67, RETURN: 70, SLEEP:67.  Ther thermostat has a plus/minus of 2 degrees, meaning 69 at the stat might be 67.XXX on a thermometer.

So here are the results I last posted on Tree Hugger . It's my November billing reflecting October useage.

Ok... November bill just posted for October useage. All numbers below have been adjusted for 30 day consumption. My bill this month reflected 32 days. A couple previous bills showed 29 days. Brought everything to 30 for comparison sake.

2007.....1443 KWH.....11.0 therms gas.....50.0 avg. daily temp......492 HDD

2008.....1229 KWH.....3.2 therms gas.......51 avg. daily temp........469 HDD

2009.....1288 KWH.....2.2 therms gas.......49.8 avg. daily temp......476 HDD

2010.....1324 KWH.....3.1 therms gas.......50.7 avg. daily temp......446 HDD

2011.....1326 KWH.....1.5 therms gas........50.3 avg. daily temp.....448 HDD

So from the base year, avg. KWH have dropped approximately 8% and held steady. Changes in balance point of heat pump, licensed KVAR, heat pump setbacks from "stock" 5 degrees to three degrees all contributed to the reduction. Factor in that those changes also show my gas useage drop 75-85% means even less electricity would have been used had I let the gas furnace run instead of the heat pump.

And... according to Puget Sound Energy, my bill is $65 LESS than my average neighbor's bill.

I like the consistency. There's at least something I can bank on in these miserable economic times (at least for my business). It's difficult to take a certified energy efficient 3,000 sq. ft. 1.5 story home and get reductions. My overall KWH reductions have been just shy of 2,000KWH last year vs. the first year. Gas consumption dropped from 184.7 to 55.9 last year, a 70% total reduction.

Word is the northwest this winter season will be colder for a longer period and wetter with more snow than we usually see (which isn't much, mind you here in Olympia).

Ho Ho Ho

An early Happy Thanksgiving to all!

#15 yoder

yoder

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

I just checked ours for last month and realized that we are up from last years 29kwh per day, but that includes my servers and computers.  I still have lots of room for improvement and will be using the Kill-a-Watt to track down my next electrical target.

#16 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

A bit sad to know even our usage was bit lowered, as the price of electricity increased, I would still pay almost the same amount.
And I am starting to get a little worried for the incoming bill this month since the fans are on all day because it was hot here. Will still be finding ways to save electricity just like turning off lights and not using the television when I am using the computer.

#17 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:14 AM

View Postzararina, on 09 November 2011 - 06:48 PM, said:

A bit sad to know even our usage was bit lowered, as the price of electricity increased, I would still pay almost the same amount.
And I am starting to get a little worried for the incoming bill this month since the fans are on all day because it was hot here. Will still be finding ways to save electricity just like turning off lights and not using the television when I am using the computer.
Power strip your vampires; it helps tremendously.

#18 omkar1991

omkar1991

Regular

• Shifter
  • 94 posts 6 rep

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

Since the last 4 months, the daily consumption at my house is around 6-7 kWh. It was higher before that, because our air conditioner has broken down recently, and I have a bad habit of turning it on even when the temperature is comfortable.
In general, my computer/internet, and TV contribute the most to my bill. Trying to cut down on that, but with little success.

#19 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:03 AM

View Postomkar1991, on 30 November 2011 - 11:49 PM, said:

In general, my computer/internet, and TV contribute the most to my bill. Trying to cut down on that, but with little success.
Get those power saver bars for your tv/gadgets and your computer/gadgets.
When you flip the switch off, (when you're at work or bedtime) the power is completely shut off-so no vampire draw.

When I installed them several years ago (along with cfl's for lights) my electric bill went down about $30 a month.
It only takes a minute or two for these things to power back up, and the money saved makes it worth those
few minutes wait.
"Instant on" =vampires, which draws a lot of juice even when electrical gadgets are "off."

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

1200 sq ft. 2 bedroom
Gas-heating/hot water/stove.
8/23-9/22 4 ccf
9/22-10/21 20 ccf
10/21-11/21 25 ccf

Electric-lights/frig/washer/other plug-ins.
8/26-9/27 471 Kwh (still the heat of summer) :sweat:
9/27-10/26 73 Kwh :yahoo:

10/26-11/28 185 Kwh :shok: (Way too high!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users