Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

What are the best items to recycle?

9 replies to this topic

#1 janayc

janayc

Curious

• Shifter
  • 13 posts 0 rep

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

We would like to start a recycling unit in my garage. What is the best product to recycle?  Where would I take the items to be recycled?  On another forum, we gathered ideas about having two or four garbage cans to separate household trash from recyclable cans, plastic bottles.

#2 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

You would have to look into where your recyclables can be taken in your area.  Many areas have trucks that come around to collect and some areas do not.  Some areas you have to bring your recyclables to a specific location.  They have trucks in my town that pick up all the recyclables but my Dad lives in a town that has big bins at a local town garage to bring them to.  You can recycle many different things.  We recycle card board boxes (including cereal boxes), plastic (many different plastics), glass, metal (often to a scrap yard), cans, newspapers just to name a few items.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

View Postjanayc, on 27 March 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

We would like to start a recycling unit in my garage. What is the best product to recycle?  Where would I take the items to be recycled?  On another forum, we gathered ideas about having two or four garbage cans to separate household trash from recyclable cans, plastic bottles.
As good hearted as this sounds, you have to be careful. People don't always recycle properly-cleaning cans/bottles
out of food stuffs and with it being in your garage, the odors could attract rats and bugs.

#4 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

In my area, there are recycling centers that take plastics 1 and 2, paper, aluminum, and tin.  All of these have to be cleaned in order to be recycled.  Some areas take glass.  Like shortpoet-gtd stated, a lot of people do not clean their recyclables.  You would have to clean them in order for them to be taken.

#5 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

I believe the best item that you can recycle includes both newspapers and cardboard.

In my city there are many center that gather these materials and they have always literally tons of them on a daily basis!

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:41 AM

Technically, everything can be recycled in one form or another.
Either the typical stuff, can, bottles, paper, plastics, car oil, clothing, furnishings or re-purposing it into something new; or
for instance-
http://www.altenergy...l-trash-images/

#7 janayc

janayc

Curious

• Shifter
  • 13 posts 0 rep

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

View Postrbaker_59, on 28 March 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

In my area, there are recycling centers that take plastics 1 and 2, paper, aluminum, and tin.  All of these have to be cleaned in order to be recycled.  Some areas take glass.  Like shortpoet-gtd stated, a lot of people do not clean their recyclables.  You would have to clean them in order for them to be taken.

Do you have a website for your area, and do they take items from other states? I Never knew that you could recycle plastics 1 and 2.  The program I know recycles plastic no. 5.

#8 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

If you have some hazardous waste or any waste, you can take them to your local recycling center or visit this site for more info http://www.actenviro.com/

#9 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

Next Generation Medical Waste Management

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

The most profitable (although it doesn't pay as much as it used to) is aluminum cans; beer-soda.
Next is tin cans; food cans & cat/dog food cans but tin doesn't pay as much as aluminum; so separate them;
otherwise they'll just pay you for the tin. Clean beforehand.

All types of metals pay well too. Parts; parts of cars, metal chairs; anything metal. Copper, brass, steel should
all be separated as each metal pays different values.

Goodness of your heart stuff (you don't get paid anything) are plastics #1-#7 (depending on your local)
clean paper (shred paper that has your info on it) cardboard (including all product packaging i.e. cereal boxes,
crackers, etc.
Glass if they do that in your area.

California has the best recycling in the nation.
St. Vincent DePaul's even accepts furniture; stuffed chairs, mattresses, couches-etc. They break it all down
and send the wood to one place, the metal springs another place, the stuffing off to be cleaned, the material
to be reused.
Everything is reused/recycled or repurposed. Styrofoam too.
Wonderful organization.
https://www.svdp.us/...-manufacturing/

At one time; I used to make candles. I had a lot of leftover wax. Couldn't recycle it or donate it so I ran an ad
on Craigslist; free candle wax. I unloaded it within a few hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users