Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Wall garden made with soda bottles

18 replies to this topic

#1 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

POPULAR

This is so cool - and I am definitely going to do a version of it. It's a hanging garden made with old soda bottles. The website is in Portuguese, which I don't read, but the pictures make it clear how it's done.

http://www.rosenbaum...horta-vertical/

Posted Image

#2 gangandealer

gangandealer

Regular

• Shifter
  • 58 posts 2 rep

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

That is actually pretty cool anf effective. If you want to read whatever is written in portugese, just use google translate to view the english version of it.

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

Nice to see that it was also done in some different countries. ;)
Plants in the bottles are common here and we also use some other used plastic containers as plant vase/container. It was good to reuse plastic containers than being just thrown in the garbage bin. It was also a good idea to still have plants even there is limited space.

#4 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

That is just beautiful and great way to use those soda bottles since they take 1000's of years to breakdown into soil.

#5 Green Thumb

Green Thumb

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 135 posts 7 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

It’s attractive and creative. The effort put in reusing bottles for this purpose profit a beautiful outcome. I suddenly remember our art project in grade school where we use and decorate tin cans and bottles to serve as pen holders and flower vase. On the other hand, my grandma uses bigger cans while my mom would use the plastic paint container to sow small plants. :)

#6 wneely

wneely

Curious

• Shifter
  • 19 posts 3 rep

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

I found this a while back while stumbling and absolutely loved it.  I could see it hanging from a porch roof or inside in front of a window.

We finally have a porch so I'm planning to make a few to hang outside, just to spruce up the space.  :)

#7 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

View Postwneely, on 01 November 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

I found this a while back while stumbling and absolutely loved it.  I could see it hanging from a porch roof or inside in front of a window.

We finally have a porch so I'm planning to make a few to hang outside, just to spruce up the space.  :)

Oh wow, I love that a lot. I hadn't thought of doing a vertical hanging garden, but I do have a balcony with a roof that would be perfect for it. It's going to be tough waiting until spring to plant things - I want veggies and herbs - but that gives me time to make some planters. :)

#8 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Mariaandrea, that is so neat.... That's perfect for herbs. I wonder if you could treat the connecting wires or strings like a trellis for pole beans.

#9 wneely

wneely

Curious

• Shifter
  • 19 posts 3 rep

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

View PostMon-Jes, on 03 November 2011 - 07:28 PM, said:

Mariaandrea, that is so neat.... That's perfect for herbs. I wonder if you could treat the connecting wires or strings like a trellis for pole beans.

I think the wires could also be used as trellises for vining flowers.  I like to combine moon glories and morning glories for blooms which last throughout the day.

I can just imagine how beautiful a wall could become with this!  :)

#10 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

I'd forgotten about vining flowers. Nice.

You could also trellis sweet potato vines if the wall is by enough dirt to have a sweet potato plot....

#11 Usty

Usty

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

I find this very interesting. If one were inclined to do so, they could cut a bunch of 2 and 3 liter bottles in half, and create a sort of portable garden that could be rearranged anywhere within an apartment.

#12 Germs

Germs

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 139 posts 1 rep

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Things of this nature usually sound cool but turn out fairly average.

However this is an exception, looks very nice, something i would love to have in my home/garden

#13 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

View PostGerms, on 05 November 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

Things of this nature usually sound cool but turn out fairly average.

However this is an exception, looks very nice, something i would love to have in my home/garden

I agree. I think that the key to this kind of garden is scale. I don't think it would look as great with just a few bottles. I think a grid of at least 3 x 3 would be needed, but the more the better to make it dramatic.

#14 Lee11

Lee11

Curious

• Shifter
  • 15 posts 3 rep

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

Beautiful!
Thank you for sharing that...
I love it,
I think it would look beautiful in all ways as it is a wonderful re-use of a material that is potentially damaging to the earth (due to its slow decomposition).
I pray everyday that they can stop making these awful plastic containers, but wow, that is alchemy right there.

#15 Julie

Julie

Regular

• Shifter
  • 59 posts 7 rep

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

What a brilliant concept - I use any plastic bottles that I get as mini-cloches to protect seedlings - but I love this hanging idea and can see me using it for a myriad of wild strawberries next year. The strawberries, if left in place, smother my other plantings and I found that I had to simply waste too many of them this past summer Next spring I'll use this bottle idea to transplant extra wild strawberry plants up my wall and fencing.

Thank you for the share !

#16 JBMedia

JBMedia

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 3 rep

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

That's pretty amazing! Thanks for the share. To be honest, I'm very surprised with how well it looks together. I thought it wouldn't have looked good, but it looks great and is for a great cause as well!

#17 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

First time I've seen such creative and wonderful idea. I've seen plastic turns into chairs, concrete blocks, roads, etc, but this one truly captivates my mind. Good to learn another enteresting way on how to recycle soda bottles. In our home, we only give it to people who does the recycling.

#18 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

This is pretty amazing! Looks really neat and serves the purpose!  The only thing I would worry about is any chemicals in the soda bottles that may get into the soil on you.  Not sure if that is what would happen, and this is a great and neat looking idea!

#19 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Pretty interesting idea, especially for herbs! I do not have a wall that I could attempt this one, but I do have a balcony herb garden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users