Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Your old cell phone

recycling cell phones

22 replies to this topic

#1 criticalthinking

criticalthinking

Curious

• Shifter
  • 36 posts 1 rep

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

I know it's possible to recycle cell phones. I've never done it, but that's because all of my old cell phones are still floating around in drawers, waiting for me to remember to transfer info from the sim cards. I've heard of a few places that take your old cell phone and refurbish it to give to service people overseas, or victims of domestic violence trying to get back on their feet. Has anyone here used a service like that? In general, do most of you recycle your old cell phones?

#2 Ares7

Ares7

Curious

• Shifter
  • 10 posts 3 rep

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

I did this once. There was a programme running in my university and I got an email asking if I would like to donate my mobile. Obviously I don't know where you live so I suggest checking with your local school or university and see if they do anything similar. I hadn't even heard of this type of thing until they asked me if I wanted to give them my phone! If that fails check online for charities that may do this near you. Also if you don't want to just give your phone away and you want it recycled there are plenty of websites and mobile phone shops who will buy your old mobile back from you. With this though, the amount of money you receive depends on how old your phone is and you might not receive anything for really old ones.

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:16 PM

There are some shops here that could buy your old or defective mobiles. I think they will fix it again or just use the devices or parts of your mobile phone that can still be use to fix other phones. There are also some places here where you could donate them but I am not yet sure of their exact locations here in our country but definitely they are environmental friendly kind of group that would not like seeing such kind of device be just in waste bins and become a pollutant.
I do usually give my old mobile phones (that are still in good condition) to someone in the family that might need it.

#4 kristyleann

kristyleann

Curious

• Shifter
  • 10 posts 0 rep

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

There is a site called gazelle.com that will buy old phones, computers, etc. and even if you send them something that doesn't work at all they won't buy it from you but they will recycle it for you for free. I've sent them some stuff so I know they're legit. In fact, I sent them an old laptop and once they got it they determined it was actually worth even more than we had agreed on so they paid me a little more, so that was pretty cool. I'm not sure what they do with all that stuff though...I think they just resell them on their site.

#5 Usty

Usty

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

When I want to get ride of old electronics, I freecycle. I don't care about selling it, I just wan't to unload when it's usefulness is maxed exalted..

#6 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

Talk to the company that gave you the phone or that handles your service. They might have something. I know my cell phone carrier has a program where I can bring a phone to a store and they'll send it on to a domestic violence program.

#7 lovelikewinter3

lovelikewinter3

Curious

• Shifter
  • 25 posts 2 rep

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

I recycle all of my old electronics. It might not be the cleanest or best for those who are doing the recycling, but there are ways that this can be improved on. I also think that recycling materials will be better for those communities than extracting fresh, virgin materials. Next time I trade in my cell phone (hopefully not for a few years!) I will be taking it to Future Shop, where they will give you the value of your electronic (if there is any) in a gift card, and if there's no value, they recycle it free of charge. Win-win.

#8 sbjc

sbjc

Curious

• Shifter
  • 29 posts 0 rep

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

I have lots of old cell phones, they are just stocked up inside my drawer. Those old cell phones of mine are not functioning anymore, but I do not know what is the most clever and wisest way on how to dispose them.
I wonder if I can still get something out of my broken and dead cellular phones.

#9 dugluss

dugluss

• Shifter
  • 8 posts 0 rep

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

Here in the UK mobile phone recycling is big business, there are adverts in papers, magazines and on TV. Basically you collect up all your old phones, go to one of the many recycling companies on-line and stick in the make and model of the phones. They give you a quote on the value of each phone and send out a pre-paid envelope for you to post your phones back to them in. I have done it a few times with mixed results. Some of the companies will offer a good price for a modern phone, others have come back to me saying that the phones are damaged or beyond repair and do not pay out. There is even a price comparison tool available that searches all the recycling sites and gives you the site that is currently offering the most for your phone. Have a look at mobilevaluer.com. Think it's UK based though.

#10 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

View Postsbjc, on 21 November 2011 - 08:22 AM, said:

I have lots of old cell phones, they are just stocked up inside my drawer. Those old cell phones of mine are not functioning anymore, but I do not know what is the most clever and wisest way on how to dispose them.
I wonder if I can still get something out of my broken and dead cellular phones.

There are many cell phone outlets that now have recycling boxes to take the old phones. Public pressure has been high enough in many regions to force these companies to take on the added responsibility. The other thing to do is ask your current provider how to recycle the phones. When they get these kinds of questions, it helps to pressure them to take the phones.

#11 jacobnomi

jacobnomi

• Shifter
  • 7 posts 0 rep

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

There are postage-paid envelopes for used cell phones that are refurbished for members of the US armed forces. You might be able to find them with a google search. They've always seemed to appear in a stack of Sunday newspapers for me. It's a great way to get rid of your old phones and they're helping a soldier keep in touch with their loved ones back home.

#12 GreenQueen

GreenQueen

Curious

• Shifter
  • 40 posts 1 rep

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Ive always wondered the same exact thing. I have so many old phones in my drawers, approximately 6.
I am going to take the advice and go to the gazelle wabsite to see what i could possible get for them.
Thank you so much for making this post. I got some really good information.

#13 Chris S

Chris S

• Shifter
  • 8 posts 0 rep

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

There are TONS of sites that offer free "give us your phone and we'll recycle them" offers!
Some, (you just have to search for the right ones) ;) will even PAY you for your old, broken cellular device! (Because they refurbish it and sell it again, etc.)

#14 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Here's a really good, short article on donating cell phones. It explains that most of the places you donate to will sell the phones to a recycler because most old phone are suitable for re-using. But, that also means it's a small source of income for your charity. I prefer donating my old phones.

http://www.charitywa...lphonetips.html

#15 GreenQueen

GreenQueen

Curious

• Shifter
  • 40 posts 1 rep

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

View Postmariaandrea, on 03 December 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

Here's a really good, short article on donating cell phones. It explains that most of the places you donate to will sell the phones to a recycler because most old phone are suitable for re-using. But, that also means it's a small source of income for your charity. I prefer donating my old phones.

http://www.charitywa...lphonetips.html

Thanks for this information. I mentor a small group here at my college and I'm
pretty sure we can gather up some stuff to send in. This would be something
great to do for charity. Thanks for the post.

#16 JBMedia

JBMedia

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 3 rep

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

This is a good idea. I have about 4 or 5 cell phones laying around somewhere. Does anyone know where you could donate them to people in a higher need? If there's a link, I'd appreciate it so I can do that.

Thanks

#17 yoder

yoder

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

View PostUsty, on 03 November 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

When I want to get ride of old electronics, I freecycle. I don't care about selling it, I just wan't to unload when it's usefulness is maxed exalted..

I've used freecycle a couple of times and can recommend it if it is in your area.

#18 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

I am still getting along with my Nokia fliphone that is going on six years old... ancient by cellphone standards, but you know what? It still works, the original battery still holds a good long charge, and my calls are still crisp and clear.  B)

Your local Best Buy store should also have drop boxes for cellphones, rechargeable batteries, old cords, ink cartridges, and more.

You might try looking at the website www.Earth911.org ... its a search engine exclusively for finding ways to recycle things in your local area.

My son's school has a drop box for small electronics like cellphones, pagers, GPS, and laptops that provides a small amount of revenue for the school. (My son and I started it last Earth Day)

The company we recycle electronics through claims that 80% or more of the items they collect are repaired, refurbished and resold within the US. Their refinery for recycling metals is a BAN e-steward. Overall we have been very pleased with the partnership, so maybe you know a local school that could start their own program?  I think the more convenient it is to drop things off, the more likely people are to do the right thing and recycle.  :smile:  If you would like the link to the company we use, let me know and I will send it by private message.

#19 omkar1991

omkar1991

Regular

• Shifter
  • 94 posts 6 rep

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

I am sure Nokia has a "Recycle your phone" program, I recently saw an advertisement at one of their service centers here in my city. I have never really tried it out though, I just have two phones, a current one, and one old one, which I still use sometimes.

#20 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

I am unable to get a clear indication about the mechanism for disposal of a completely unusable cell phone, which becomes an inert solid waste that is non bio degradable. I mostly donate them to domestic help, office boys and car driver who continue using them gratefully. I am more keen to search information regarding the extent of waste generated world wide from total trash of mobile phones and how is that disposed off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users