Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Deforestration in relation to rain

rainfall forest trees

4 replies to this topic

#1 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

Do you believe cutting down of trees from our forest affect the amount of rainfall in a country and does it have anything to do with global warming.

#2 Yoginitrish

Yoginitrish

Curious

• Shifter
  • 47 posts 4 rep

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

Yes. While I am far from a scientist, I know all these things are interelated. When forests are depleted, animals are without habitat, erosion and mud slides become real possibilities and I think rainfall is affected. Since trees and plant life have such an integral role in eliminating air pollution.

#3 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

Deforestation does affect global warming because trees soak up carbon dioxide and effectively store it as part of wood fiber. When we cut down trees, fewer trees and smaller trees mean that less of the C02 is being pulled out of the atmosphere. At the same time, given that we are pumping so much C02 into the atmosphere, having fewer trees makes our excessive C02 production problem even worse. So, yes, trees are important to global warming.

As far as rainfall is concerned, trees are also very important. Trees effectively "exhale" water vapor into the air when the are breathing. They also shade the ground reducing the rate of evaporation. The combination of these factors affects humidity levels in the air which in turn affects rainfall.

#4 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

I would also say yes. if we do have lot of trees, some water could be absorbed by them to avoid too much floods and the roots will hold the soil to avoid erosion. Trees also absorb CO2 and then gives out what we need which is oxygen. Trees could help us in eliminating some "warming"in our environment. They also provide shelter to some other living things.

#5 godarna

godarna

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 14 rep

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

Deforestation really affects the environment, as trees lower CO2 levels. But it causes erosion and landslides as well. I notice here in Mauritius that the more flora you destroy the more flooding it causes during heavy rainfall. More and more modification of drainage systems is required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users