Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Super Power Stations:The ten biggest power station in the US

6 replies to this topic

#1 Prkralex

Prkralex

• Shifter
  • 5 posts 2 rep

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Is US still more dependent on conventional sources of energy. Six of the ten biggest power stations in the US are fossil-fuelled, while the other four, including the two biggest Grand Coulee and Palo Verde, are hydro -and nuclear-powered.

I recently read an energy site that profiles the ten biggest power stations in the US based on installed capacity.

#2 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

The United States is the largest economy and energy user in the world.
. . . Changing that . . . will take a little . . . time.

http://www.iea.org/c...s/unitedstates/

#3 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

View Posteds, on 04 July 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

The United States is the largest economy and energy user in the world.
. . .
Valid point but perhaps a little out of date.

China  5,398,000,000,000 kWh
USA  4,099,000,000,000 kWh

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

That famous line from charlton heston-"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands." applies
to coal and oil too.
The fossil fuel industry (led by the koch brothers and others) are fighting dirty to keep us dirty with their polluting
fuels.
But it's a tooth and nail fight we have to win; otherwise the planet cooks.
"Now we're cooking with gas" takes on a whole new meaning.

Attached File  koch cr@p.jpg   65.42K   0 downloads

#5 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 05 July 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

That famous line from charlton heston-"I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands." applies
to coal and oil too.
The fossil fuel industry (led by the koch brothers and others) are fighting dirty to keep us dirty with their polluting
fuels.
But it's a tooth and nail fight we have to win; otherwise the planet cooks.
"Now we're cooking with gas" takes on a whole new meaning.

A few points in no particular order.

Obviously the fossil fuel giants want to hold on to their markets - they make money from it.
I'm reminded of a notice I read at one of my work places when I was a student.
It was about jobs. No customers, no sales, not jobs.
Fossil fuel suppliers would not exist without customers. So customers, us, are one side of the equation..
No customers, no sales, no big oil.

But there are customers. Lots of them. For the most part, people in general, are indifferent to, perhaps even ignorant of, the issues of climate change. To get them to move to green, clean, more expensive energy suppliers (there are a few here) when their main objectives are affording to feed, clothe,and house their families and have a few of the nice things is never going to be easy.

Then there are the issues of scale, continuous availability and costs of green energy production. At present, scale and continuous availability are still quite some way off being competitive replacements for fossils.

Solve those two and fossil will die a natural market driven death.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

View PostBesoeker, on 05 July 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

A few points in no particular order.

Obviously the fossil fuel giants want to hold on to their markets - they make money from it.
I'm reminded of a notice I read at one of my work places when I was a student.
It was about jobs. No customers, no sales, not jobs.
Fossil fuel suppliers would not exist without customers. So customers, us, are one side of the equation..
No customers, no sales, no big oil.

But there are customers. Lots of them. For the most part, people in general, are indifferent to, perhaps even ignorant of, the issues of climate change. To get them to move to green, clean, more expensive energy suppliers (there are a few here) when their main objectives are affording to feed, clothe,and house their families and have a few of the nice things is never going to be easy.

Then there are the issues of scale, continuous availability and costs of green energy production. At present, scale and continuous availability are still quite some way off being competitive replacements for fossils.

Solve those two and fossil will die a natural market driven death.
Grim reality.

I wonder if people would rise up if the insurance companies denied access to claims like the va does to vets.
No payments for disasters would wake them up???

Climate change is costing us billions but the insurance companies continue to pay for rebuilds.
Like supplying addicts with clean needles. :wacko:

#7 mikedall

mikedall

Curious

• Shifter
  • 33 posts 2 rep

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:41 AM

Yah, US and China!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users