Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

High speed rail coming to America.

siemens renewable energy solar

7 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:49 AM

Sieman's and Cummins (of 18 wheeler fame)
won the contract to deliver diesel and electric trains by 2016.
110 mph on existing Amtrak lines-whoosh. :laugh:

http://grist.org/lis...igh-speed-rail/

#2 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

If Siemens build them in their Sacramento plant, that could be good news on the jobs front for USA. And use of renewable energy.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostBesoeker, on 29 March 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

If Siemens build them in their Sacramento plant, that could be good news on the jobs front for USA. And use of renewable energy.
I can see several gop congressmen hanging on to the end car; kicking and screaming as the train
rockets into the future. (And they'll take the credit for the jobs no doubt.) :laugh:

#4 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 29 March 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

I can see several gop congressmen hanging on to the end car; kicking and screaming as the train
rockets into the future. (And they'll take the credit for the jobs no doubt.) :laugh:
gop?

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostBesoeker, on 29 March 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

gop?
Repugs

#6 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 30 March 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

Repugs
Urban slang.
It meant nothing to me, so I had to look it up.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostBesoeker, on 30 March 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

Urban slang.
It meant nothing to me, so I had to look it up.
I don't respect them so I don't like to use their title. They don't care about the environment (or people, for that matter)

But Siemen's is forging ahead, and that's a good thing. More mass transit, less pollution from individual cars.

#8 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 30 March 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

I don't respect them so I don't like to use their title. They don't care about the environment (or people, for that matter)
Point noted.

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 30 March 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

But Siemen's is forging ahead, and that's a good thing. More mass transit, less pollution from individual cars.
Some musings.

Big cities have mass transit systems. London has the Tube, NY the subway and Paris the Metro.
I've used the Metro but more often the tube in London. It's quick, has conveniently located stations, and relatively inexpensive. You can buy a one day travel card that gets you an unlimited number of journeys and cost about £6/$10 the last time I used the service.

It makes sense to use the Tube for getting around London. Even if you are not concerned about pollution. The congestion charge, exorbitant parking fees - even if you can actually find somewhere to park. And, since the locomotives are electrically powered, emissions at point of use are minimal.

We, UK, also have high speed trains. The intercity 125 does what it says on the can. Between cities and at speeds of up to 125mph on standard tracks. Infrequent intermediate stops result in short journey times.It was introduced the better part of 40 years ago. It was diesel electric but still much less polluting than road vehicles.

A new project is underway here. The HS2. A high speed rail link from London to Birmingham initially.
At an estimated cost of £50bn. US$80bn.
Perhaps understandably, it is a highly controversial.project.
New track will be laid going through green belt land and areas designated as being of outstanding natural beauty.

For sure, travel by rail is less polluting per passenger mile.For the rail part of the journey.But you can only get from rail station to rail station. Whilst that might be OK for some, it isn't for many.

Today we did a 200-mile round trip to have a family lunch - mother's day and a birthday celebration.
Could we have done it by rail?
Some of it. But it would have involved a 4 mile drive to our local station, parking, then a 40-minute rail trip into London, in  the opposite direction of our travel, a change of train line, another two hour journey to a station nearest to our destination, then possibly a cab for the last five miles. And fares for two people.

The practical alternative was to drive.Under two hours door to door each way and jut about three gallons of fuel.

Even at our exorbitant rates, far,far cheaper than trying to go by train.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users