Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

#TPP-a disastrous global policy no one knows about.

environment human rights secretive

11 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

This falls under the double heading of WT* and OMG.

Is this being reported on the news? Doubtful. Are people even aware of it? Doubtful.
Could it drastically change many, many things? You bet.

Excerpts from the 350.org article.

"The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a highly secretive and expansive free trade agreement between the United States and twelve Pacific Rim countries.
Legislation designed to address climate change, curb fossil fuel expansion and reduce air pollution could all be subject to attack by corporations as a result of TPP.

Additionally, the deal could criminalize internet use,
undermine workers’ and human rights,
manipulate copyright laws,
restrict government regulation of food labeling and
adversely impact subsidized healthcare."

#2 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 27 January 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

This falls under the double heading of WT* and OMG.

Is this being reported on the news? Doubtful. Are people even aware of it? Doubtful.
Could it drastically change many, many things? You bet.

Excerpts from the 350.org article.

"The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a highly secretive and expansive free trade agreement between the United States and twelve Pacific Rim countries.
Legislation designed to address climate change, curb fossil fuel expansion and reduce air pollution could all be subject to attack by corporations as a result of TPP.

Additionally, the deal could criminalize internet use,
undermine workers’ and human rights,
manipulate copyright laws,
restrict government regulation of food labeling and
adversely impact subsidized healthcare."

But not exactly secret.

http://en.wikipedia....fic_Partnership

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostBesoeker, on 28 January 2014 - 06:45 AM, said:

No offense, but just because it's on wiki doesn't mean the nations of the world know about it.

#4 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 28 January 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

No offense, but just because it's on wiki doesn't mean the nations of the world know about it.
No offense taken.
But I betcha quite a few people from quite a few disparate nations can access that resource,
:wink:

#5 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

I had NEVER heard of it until the 350.org letter.  So what if it was on wiki, I had no reason to think there even was something called TPP!
Now, with  the US going back up on emissions from overpopulation, how about kicking out 30 million illegals and collecting all the fines owed--15 Quintillion dollars worth! Plus, no more child tax credits and parents  pay for their own children' educations, and no more write offs or churches.  I am against all the so-called "free" trade agreements.  More transport emissions.  Lower population ASAP.

#6 Besoeker

Besoeker

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 945 posts 64 rep

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostDustoffer, on 04 February 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

I had NEVER heard of it until the 350.org letter.  So what if it was on wiki, I had no reason to think there even was something called TPP!
Nor had I. Perhaps my being a Brit may have had some bearing on that. Anyway, there are lots of things that either I or you or both of us don't know about but are common knowledge to others.And almost 100 references to that article are given - so somebody had to know about it.

View PostDustoffer, on 04 February 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Now, with  the US going back up on emissions from overpopulation, how about kicking out 30 million illegals and collecting all the fines owed--15 Quintillion dollars worth! Plus, no more child tax credits and parents  pay for their own children' educations, and no more write offs or churches.  I am against all the so-called "free" trade agreements.  More transport emissions.  Lower population ASAP.

I take your point about the population. Here in UK, legal illegal immigrants is a hot topic.Legal from the EU countries. Illegal from many African countries. The difficulty with the illegals is that they are often not known about. So under the radar.

#7 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

178 Groups Demand Answers About TTIP’s Climate Impact

Brandon Baker | May 14, 2014 3:03 pm | Comments

"Will the U.S. and Europe consider the climate and environment during their next round of Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) negotiations? Nearly 200 civil society organizations hope so, and wrote about their concerns in a letter to trade representatives from the U.S. and Europe.
The Center for International Environmental Law led the group of 178 organizations to request answers regarding the potential of an agreement weakening various protections for the environment, health and consumers in order to expedite the passage of an international trade agreement. Posted ImageGroups from all over the globe are worried that behind-closed-doors negotiations between the U.S. and Europe are prioritizing international trade at the expense of the environment. Photo credit: American Chamber of Commerce Estonia
“The vast majority of estimates for TTIP’s economic benefits are hypothesized to come from tackling “non-tariff” or “technical barriers” to trade,” the letter reads. “These perceived barriers are also the laws that protect people, the environment and the integrity of our respective economies.”
Earthjustice, Friends of the Earth, Clean Water Action, BlueGreen Alliance and Both ENDS are among the global group organizations that signed the letter. Among other things, they are concerned that the top-down approach set forth in some proposals could preempt standards at the state, regional and national level, especially when a response is needed for emerging technologies, new scientific information or crises.
“We are deeply concerned that TTIP will have a chilling effect on the development and implementation of laws to protect people and the environment,” the letter continues.
The groups also aren’t crazy about closed-door nature of the negotiations"
http://ecowatch.com/...s-ttip-climate/
I do not like TPP, NAFTA, or any other inter regional trade agreements that hurt the US people,
or the environment in general.

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

Transparency is a word they like to throw around but never actually use in reality. The US  is good at secrets;
have been since day one.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:53 AM

An opinion piece on these secret trade agreements and the possible additional power given to corporations.
http://www.newstates...uve-never-heard

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

The more I hear about this; I can only come to the conclusion-American workers will be screwed.
http://www.msnbc.com...al-429350979895

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

I've been in agreement with Obama on pretty much everything he's done in his presidency but he's dead wrong
on this trade "deal"
And Elizabeth Warren is spot on.

Article via Washington Post-
http://www.washingto...fighting-about/

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Posted Image

It got voted down and the dems did it! Yay!!
http://www.washingto...f5cf_story.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users