Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Viable solution for cleaning up ocean trash.

plastics recycling oceans

5 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

A 19 year old proved the point. No matter how young or old, we can all contribute to
the cleaning of the Earth and restoring it back to pristine.
(Ok, pristine is a stretch but why not hope for the best?)

Boyan Slat came up with the idea of a boom, "Ocean Array Plan" that could potentially
remove 7 million tons of garbage in about 5 years.
The project could be self sustaining by reusing and selling the plastics.
His concept has won awards too; the best technical design of 2012.

http://www.trueactiv...ans-in-5-years/

Through crowd funding, Boyan has raised $80,000 for the project.
http://www.tedxdelft...-back-on-stage/

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

I read the article in True Activist and watched the video.  I must say I am blown away.  From a design perspective it is simple, very well planned and EASILY feasible.  I could easily see this piloted anywhere, but my first thought was the Great Pacific Gyre  and the west coast of the United States being paid for by the current fines levied by the EPA.

Most people do not know that a specific portion of those fines are ear marked for clean up.  Most of that money goes unused because the technology has not been available to perform that clean up.  This fulfills that model.  Heck in the Gulf of Mexico, fines from an average year of quote minor discharges from oil production could fund the project.  

Because we are so involved in Ocean issues I am going to link this with Facebook and I would encourage everyone who reads this thread to pass it on in what ever manner they use for their social networks.  In other words folks. PASS THIS ON

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for your sharing and caring; we do need to spread the word. :tongue:

The thing that blew me away more than anything was the fact (beyond the brilliance of the idea) was this
young
person stepping up and doing something about it.

Call me biased, but I see too many young people with a "I could care less about the environment, when
does bieber's concert come on?" bs.

This young man gives me hope and "hope is a good thing" like Morgan Freeman said in The Shawshank Redemption.
Call me a hopeless romantic, a bleeding heart liberal and always optimistic. :biggrin:
Thanks Lois. :wink:

#4 RobinM

RobinM

• Shifter
  • 5 posts 1 rep

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

It is fabulous to see young people who care at all. It is so important that they get involved in the creation and preservation of their own future.

#5 Thersher

Thersher

• Shifter
  • 8 posts 0 rep

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:13 PM

Post deleted-spam

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:08 AM