Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Newest IPCC report lowballs warming.

permafrost global warming fossil fuels

9 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

Their newest report (due out next month) says that the burning of fossil fuels is the
leading cause of global warming; 95%- up from 50% in 1995.

But, the IPCC report does not include the importance of the carbon cycle feedback
by ignoring the thawing of the northern permafrost.

Think Progress article.

http://137.205.102.1...05.26.31PM.html

#2 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

Is it time to nuke China and India yet? :laugh:    Coal will grow 1.3%/yr/ through 2040, over three fourths of that is China and India alone. China is now the #1 car market in the world and they're just getting started.  India is a China wannabe where fossils are concerned.

#3 Dustoffer

Dustoffer

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 471 posts 91 rep

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Sounds like the IPCC is being "Politically Correct" and want to keep their jobs rather than tell the truth about the coming tipping points in the Arctic.  Open ocean self warming from losing the cap, and tundra methane self release, both unstoppable natural reactions to the HGHGs of such magnitude.  Time is running out and supposedly intelligent people are ignoring the need to reduce emissions by everyone on Earth or equivalent, 90% by 2023.
I thing the USA should be the leader in turning all fossil fuel power plants into GenIV waste using nuclear first.  I have read that it "could" be done worldwide in as little as 5 years.  All roofs in good areas go solar, windy areas with wind generators at home or business, hydro--fine, with its various types, and beginning a large population reduction by will instead of nature at mid century.
Of course, if India, or China, or enough others, do not do the same, then the reductions will not be enough or in time to prevent the thermageddon 2300-2500 scenario.  To me, that is nothing less than the "future murder" of people, animals, and plants that we and other eco--systems needed to live.

#4 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

If there's a cliff we're going over it.  Just look at the projected coal plants in China and India and there is no other rational conclusion.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostPhil, on 02 September 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

If there's a cliff we're going over it.  Just look at the projected coal plants in China and India and there is no other rational conclusion.

It's not just the impending cliff up ahead but we (humans) seem to be driving as fast as can to get there. :wacko:

Clue to world leaders-apply the BRAKES!!! :huh:

#6 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

With China now the #1 car market and India selling the cheapest car in the world, looks like they're hitting the accelerator instead! :ohmy: :biggrin:

As my neighbor and I, (both California transplants), agreed, Washington is the new California. :biggrin:   If you can't take the heat, move as far north as possible! B)

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

View PostPhil, on 02 September 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

With China now the #1 car market and India selling the cheapest car in the world, looks like they're hitting the accelerator instead! :ohmy: :biggrin:

As my neighbor and I, (both California transplants), agreed, Washington is the new California. :biggrin:   If you can't take the heat, move as far north as possible! B)
With the climate shifting, north may become hotter than the south. That is what is so unpredictable. Some states
will see monsoon like rains repeatedly (as already witnessed this year and the last few), while other area's
will see record high's as far north as the border states of Canada.

#8 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

It was weird seeing Fairbanks Alaska in the 80's with people hitting the beach as if it was Ventura or Malibu! :biggrin:   For a couple of weeks it was warmer up there than it was in Washington.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

Anchorage broke the old record of 80 degrees, set back in 1926; climbing to 81.
An "unofficial" temperature of 98 was recorded at Talkeetna. :sweat:

And with most in the state not having air conditioning, it can be very uncomfortable when it climbs into the 80's-90's.
Mosquitoes are a major issue too.
Article

Talk about heat! Check out these stat's from Climate Central.
http://www.climatece...re-record-16161

#10 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

That's hot! B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users