Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Russia says NO to ocean protections.

arctic fishing southern ocean

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

24 nations and the EU had come to a special meeting in Germany to consider proposals
for MPA's (marine protected area's) but Russian won't negotiate.

Only 1% of the oceans are protected.

Article

#2 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

I read some time ago that Spain totally ignores fishing limits and Japan is still hunting whales last I heard.  The problem with common resources is EVERYONE needs to agree to common goals.  That was the problem with Kyoto as well, the developing world refused to sign on.

I wish there was a simple solution but I haven't thought of one. :sad:

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostPhil, on 29 July 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

I read some time ago that Spain totally ignores fishing limits and Japan is still hunting whales last I heard.  The problem with common resources is EVERYONE needs to agree to common goals.  That was the problem with Kyoto as well, the developing world refused to sign on.

I wish there was a simple solution but I haven't thought of one. :sad:
Shipping waste water and dumping it on their doorsteps would be a good start. :laugh:
(The side of the truck could be stenciled with the words-"You stink!".) :tongue:

#4 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Did I mention our town is shipping it's garbage to Canada? :laugh:   A few months ago I decided to embrace the madness and just adapt.  From everything I've read since it was the right decision. :wacko:

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

Watching Charlie Rose last night, I became aware of this organization- Ocearch.
Chris Fischer is so passionate about saving sharks, he sounded choked up, almost throughout the
entire interview.
He was a joy to watch, and his passion is contagious. We must protect the oceans creatures, and with
organizations like this, we can.
The thing that he kept going back to, again and again, was the inclusiveness-the transparency
of what they are doing.
He wants kids especially to become involved; rather than fear them like when Jaws hit the movie screens
and thousands were slaughtered because of that movie.
They tag sharks for study (even great whites) and they track them as they move across the oceans.

http://www.ocearch.org/

You can track tagged sharks here (with a donation)
http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/

This link brings up several previous articles on their research.

#6 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Just had a weird thought, if they can train dolphins for military uses and to perform at Sea World, why not train them to patrol the beaches and chase off sharks?  Perhaps it's not economically viable but if shark attacks dropped to virtually zero, the Jaws scenario would stop being refreshed with every new incident.

Speaking of Jaws, my neighbor hates that movie!  When he lived in southern California he used to take nightly swims after working all day.  Now he can't set foot in the ocean! :biggrin:   Me neither for that matter! :laugh:

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostPhil, on 31 July 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Just had a weird thought, if they can train dolphins for military uses and to perform at Sea World, why not train them to patrol the beaches and chase off sharks?  Perhaps it's not economically viable but if shark attacks dropped to virtually zero, the Jaws scenario would stop being refreshed with every new incident.

Speaking of Jaws, my neighbor hates that movie!  When he lived in southern California he used to take nightly swims after working all day.  Now he can't set foot in the ocean! :biggrin:   Me neither for that matter! :laugh:

I don't know the stats off hand, but jelly's can be deadlier than sharks.

#8 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

That would be interesting but you rarely hear of people dying of jelly's, there have been a rather large number of attacks by sharks this year in particular.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostPhil, on 05 August 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

That would be interesting but you rarely hear of people dying of jelly's, there have been a rather large number of attacks by sharks this year in particular.
Because we've over-fished their food source. We can't blame sharks for our eating habits and non-protections
of this valued part of the food chain.
How many people ingest shark cartilage and have no clue the damage their doing? 99% of them?

It all comes down to overpopulation-
there are too many mouths on this rock.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ways to help shark survive; here.

#11 Phil

Phil

Activist