Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

The Story Behind Apple's Environmental Footprint

apple gadgets

5 replies to this topic

#1 gina

gina

Regular

• 62 posts 2 rep

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Like many I LOVE my iPhone! I was clicking around the Apple website and found some pages with amazing facts about Apple and their Environmental Footprint.

You can find it here: http://www.apple.com/environment/

I particularly like how smaller packaging for the iPhone saves on emissions... I just think its sexy! :)

#2 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

It is good to see Apple taking some level of green stance on their products especially when they have no upgrade path and have created a culture of having purchasers always buy the next best thing. Of course this means that they are only fulfilling the Recycle mantra of the "Reduce-Reuse-Recycle" message where Reduce and Reuse are the most preferable options.

Its also important to note that Apple was really forced to recycle their products by its users who were not impressed when it didn't have a recycling story.

#3 Lucy

Lucy

• Shifter
  • 5 posts 1 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

That is cool that they show it. Do other computers show their footprint? Do Apple customers generally care more about the environment then say a Dell user?

#4 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

View PostLucy, on 21 September 2011 - 12:13 PM, said:

That is cool that they show it. Do other computers show their footprint? Do Apple customers generally care more about the environment then say a Dell user?

Other companies are showing where they are becoming environmentally less damaging. HP was early in demonstrating recycling and sustainable handling of their products.

As for the second question, I think it is more about Apple's branding than anything. They basically have positioned themselves as being innovative and progressive to their target market. If you are doing that while creating products with a short life cycle that will end up in the dump, you don't look all that innovative or progressive. In my view, that is why it was important for Apple to take steps to appear more green than they initially would have liked to do. Now they are seeing the cost benefits of doing so.

#5 Cecille

Cecille

• Shifter
  • 4 posts 1 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

It's amazing how a big company like Apple tries to keep as environment-friendly as they can in producing less toxicated products. I think all companies must be doing this in order for us to reduce the effects of global warming and further environment destruction.

I do applaud Apple for this. Makes me love my Apple gadgets even more. :)

#6 Player One

Player One

Curious

• Shifter
  • 21 posts 0 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Apple's pretty impressive. They have good phones and they contribute to the environment. Just like Cecille said, all companies should also participate in these kind of activities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users