Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Yahoo's CEO says employees "must" work in office.

travel emissions layoffs

3 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Personally, I think this stinks.
What are your thoughts?

By telecommuting, travel emissions are cut down, number one, along with other benefits.

What say you? Nay or Yay?

(Scroll down for Lloyd Alter's opinion. He makes good points.
Article (from Treehugger)

#2 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I often telecommuted when I worked.  The company got a lot more work out of me because I wasn't exhausted from being on the road for two hours.  I used that time to work instead, sometimes up to 16 hours a day for weeks.

That being said, apparently Yahoo had a real problem with a large population of slackers.   One cannot know what is going on in her mind but I'd hazard a guess that if it was true, she wanted to bring everyone in an do a reset on employee work expectations.   My guess is she will revert back once she is convinced people have recovered their work ethic.

Then again, I tend to think the best of people so what do I know! :biggrin:  I is rather ironic that an internet company demands people be in the office.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

The employee's would have to give permission but a tech manager could have access to their home computers
remotely to check up on their work-or lack thereof; so they could go back to saving all those travel emissions.
But maybe she's just a figure head and not all that tech savvy. I'm not, but even I know that. :tongue:

#4 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

As a former manager, it was pretty easy to see who was performing and who wasn't.  I would think that would apply to software development as well since even more software engineers work from home than hardware engineers.  At least at the various start up's where I worked people loved the challenge of their jobs and really busted their behinds to get things done. Of course generous stock options aren't a bad incentive either! :biggrin:

From a management standpoint, this looks like the company needed a real wakeup call and this was her way of administering it.  I've had to shake up a couple of organizations myself, you have to do something drastic to get people to change direction.

In general, telecommuting is a fantastic invention, aiding quality of life, quality of work, and the environment.  If she didn't have a good reason to revoke it, she must be dumb as a post.  I noticed Virgin airlines CEO Richard Branson lambasted her though, and he's a pretty smart cookie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users