Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

The other side of the NTY's TeslaGate

3 replies to this topic

#1 yoder

yoder

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

When New York Times writer John Broder wrote his less than stellar review of the Tesla Model S after his test drive, Elon Musk didn't waste any time refuting many of the issues that Broder wrote about.  Data pulled from the Tesla's "little black box" is used to show that Broder may have misremembered some details of the test drive and of his own actions during the drive.

Personally, I love the graphs that they pulled from the car that detail the speed, recharging and even cabin temp during the drive.  Every vehicle on the road should have this, if not for insurance purposes then just so people can actually see how they are driving.

Elon Musk is to the EV world what Steve Jobs was to personal technology, with similar personality traits it appears.

A few choice items from Elon's blog post:

As the State of Charge log shows, the Model S battery never ran out of energy at any time, including when Broder called the flatbed truck.

The final leg of his trip was 61 miles and yet he disconnected the charge cable when the range display stated 32 miles. He did so expressly against the advice of Tesla personnel and in obvious violation of common sense.

Cruise control was never set to 54 mph as claimed in the article, nor did he limp along at 45 mph. Broder in fact drove at speeds from 65 mph to 81 mph for a majority of the trip and at an average cabin temperature setting of 72 F.

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the clarification, personally I loved my test drive but it was just thirty miles.  I drove 65 to 70, oh it was nice folks.

#3 yoder

yoder

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I've only ridden as a passenger around the block, but even that (if you can believe it) was impressive.

#4 adam_a

adam_a

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

CNN did a similar test today: http://money.cnn.com...el-s/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users