Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Climate change addressed in Obama's inaugural address.

storms fires drought

12 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

"My fellow Americans, we are made for this moment and we will seize it,
so long as we seize it together.

We understand that outworn programs are inadequate to the needs of our time.
So we must harness new ideas and technology.

We, the people, still believe that our obligations as Americans are not just to ourselves,
but to all posterity.
We will respond to the threat of climate change,
knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations.

Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid
the devastating impact of raging fires, and crippling drought, and more powerful storms.
The path towards sustainable energy sources will be long and sometimes difficult.
But American's cannot resist this transition.

We must lead it.

We cannot cede to other nations the technology that will power new jobs and new industries.
We must claim its promise.
That’s how we will maintain our economic vitality and our national treasure,
our forests and waterways, our crop lands and snow capped peaks.
That is how we will preserve our planet,
commanded to our care by God.
That’s what will lend meaning to the creed our fathers once declared."
:drinks: :cheer:

#2 yoder

yoder

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Congrats to our president.  I hope he takes the fight to them.  If he tries to build concensus again, he will fail.

#3 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I agree let us hope that a redoubling of drive and effort will bring about a new growth spurt in renewable energy and water practices, serious climate change legislation and new jobs that work toward a truly sustainable and climate friendly future.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

View Postyoder, on 21 January 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Congrats to our president.  I hope he takes the fight to them.  If he tries to build concensus again, he will fail.
His organizing people across the country will help him win the support he needs on a myriad of policies,
including climate change.
http://www.guardian....-america-action

https://my.barackoba...20130118_bo_act

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hoot-Hoot. Another victory. The courts side with Obama and the EPA.
http://www.dailykos....reenhouse-gases

#6 yoder

yoder

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 22 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

That is interesting.  And very good, but interesting.  What's happening up there in the SCOTUS ivory tower?  We are seeing a smattering of sensible non-extremist decisions coming from SCOTUS.  Has he** frozen over?

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

View Postyoder, on 22 January 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

That is interesting.  And very good, but interesting.  What's happening up there in the SCOTUS ivory tower?  We are seeing a smattering of sensible non-extremist decisions coming from SCOTUS.  Has he** frozen over?
Could be the women are quietly taking over. :laugh:  (Calmer heads prevail.)

#8 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 22 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

I think Reuters and Daily Kos messed up, have read too much into the decision.
The decision has to do with sulfur dioxide, standard air pollution stuff.

Not greenhouse gasses, not carbon dioxide.

The Reuters article here: http://www.reuters.c...22?feedType=RSS
Another article on the decision here: http://www.businessw...t-by-high-court

While I view this decision as positive overall, I don't see that it is a sure indicator of any future Supreme Court decisions on greenhouse gasses.  Hopeful, but not sure.

A reduction in SO2, while positive overall, will likely lead to a tiny bit more warming in that SO2 ends up oxidizing more and producing light colored particles in the air, a little light colored haze, reflecting a litle sunlight away.  Standard stuff.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

At the very least, Obama is openly talking about climate change now. He has been silent about it too long.

#10 Amethyst45

Amethyst45

Curious

• Shifter
  • 24 posts 4 rep

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

How it should have read:

• “We, the people, still believe that our obligations as Americans are not just to our desire for immediate entitlements, but to all posterity. We will respond to the threat of ballooning debt, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations. Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of economists, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging spending, and crippling interest payments on our debt, and powerful special interests demanding their share of my money. The path towards sustainable spending will be long and sometimes difficult. But America cannot resist this transition; we must lead it. We cannot allow other nations to enable our growing debt, as it crushes new jobs and new industries – we must claim the promise of a budget surplus and shrinking debt. That is how we will maintain our economic vitality, for it is economic prosperity that funds the preservation of our national treasure – our forests and waterways; our croplands and snowcapped peaks. That is how we will preserve our planet, commanded to our care by God. That’s what will lend meaning to the creed our fathers once declared.”

#11 yoder

yoder

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 23 January 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

At the very least, Obama is openly talking about climate change now. He has been silent about it too long.

That is true, however, I was at a local Nation Mag discussion group and Keystone came up.  I don't think Obama truly believes that KXL is anything more than a few temp jobs, but again, I don't think he is going to fight it.  So that leaves the fight to the rest of us.

#12 yoder

yoder

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

People are free to believe Fox News (for example) over the vast majority of climate scientists. They are not free to force the country to  follow them in their political or religious beliefs, which is what this is truly about.

#13 yoder

yoder

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

A hero of mine, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, said, "Science doesn't need you to believe in it for it to be true."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users