Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Hyundai Tucson Hydrogen Fuel Cell Roll Out 2014-2015

3 replies to this topic

#1 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hyundai reiterated this week that it is set to go into limited production of its ix35 fuel cell crossover and will be made available before the end of 2014. The company goal is to have 1,000 vehicles produced by 2015, with that number reaching 10,000 in the year after 2015.

The all-new Hyundai ix35 fuel cell contains an electric motor that is powered by hydrogen. That allows the vehicle to go from 0-62mph in 12.5 seconds, which matches the current gasoline powered Tucson. A full tank will provide 365 miles of driving, with a top speed of 100mph.

Owners of the zero-emission ix35 will be able to fill up their rides at specially outfitted stations; secure in the knowledge that water vapor is the only exhaust emission that comes from the vehicle.
  After 14 years of industry leading research and development and close to 2 million miles of road tests in real world conditions across the globe.

The ix35 fuel cell vehicle comes equipped with a stop/start system that will ensure the fuel cell is turned off while the car is stationary. Brake energy regeneration is also used to charge the batteries, using a system that uses normal air as opposed to compressed. This will reduce power consumption by as much as 50%.

Talking about the ix35, Vice Chairman Woong Chul Yang, head of Hyundai Research and Development said that he believed it represents the pinnacle of Hyundai’s advanced engineering, as well as their commitment to being a leader in eco-friendly mobility.

From E3 Wise - guys I drove one of Hyundai’s Third Generation Santa Fe Fuel Cell in 2009 and again in 2010.  When the Tucson was rolled out for Drive and Rides in 2011, I got three chances to drive it and another two times this year.  Folks I love this SUV, it seats five adults comfortably and has lots of extra room in the back for taking lots of stuff along with you.  The acceleration is fine and with a mileage 365 miles per fill up it has the range to appeal to the average consumer.

The only drawback so far is the cost, which in Europe is set at $52,000, but cars cost more in Europe and the projected cost is set to be up to 20% less here in the US in 2015 and a projected $30,000 by 2017.  The cost reduction is due to the soon to be new smaller fuel cell package which is said to be ½ of the current size.  So far California is being touted as the first large scale sales area, but with Texas now moving to match California’s infrastructure, with their 1200 mile Hydrogen pipeline, look for Texas to be second on the roll out list here in the US.  Now if I could just get Florida to get serious about this also, my work would be complete.

You can see a picture of the ix35 on the fourth page of the following post.
http://www.altenergy...uel cell cars

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for that. Interesting. :smile:

#3 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Cool post.  I have always been a little skeptical of hydrogen cars, but posts like these make it seem like maybe we can make them work afterall, even if they are limited to certain applications.

Of course the volatility of the hydrogen in the event of an accident is the part that makes me pretty nervous, not so much the other technical aspects.   :laugh:

When I went to Walgreens the other day to pick up some "sicky supplies" for my husband I noticed they had a brand new charging station for electric vehicles. Small signs of progress keep creeping across the country.

#4 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Cool, yes we have been seeing electric charging stations for EVs more in certain markets.  In Europe they are most prevalent in Germany and France.  EPWG recently completed a  300 kw solar instillation in Hamburg for a large retail outlet kind of like the super targets we have here in the US, but for a German company, as part of the design we were asked to integrate a 20 car charging area that incorporated the solar cells into the covered parking.  when we were touring the facility to get the overall layout for our design, Lois asked how many employees had electric cars, the answer was 3, but they felt that with the growth of EV,s in Germany customers would be driving the cars more and the ability to charge at retail outlets is something the German government is pushing, so they wanted to be ready for the increase.
Here in the United States we are seeing most EV charging stations in California and Austin Texas, with more going in slowly.

On the subject Hydrogen volatility and possible explosion risks, first hydrogen is no more explosive than gasoline, likewise all Hydrogen cars have non explosive gas tanks, the testing has included hydrogen cars hitting anything and everything from other hydrogen cars to gasoline cars and semi tractor trailers, with results demonstrating a 56% less chance of explosion than gasoline.  likewise a gasoline leak has fuel going all over the highway, causing a lot of possible problems, a hydrogen leak vents to the atmosphere in less than 2 1/2 seconds, with no residual explosion risk possible, meaning if a crash occurs a safety venting occurs, much like how the sensor for air bags work, venting the hydrogen to prevent explosion, the technology was developed by the racing industry.

I wish I had the video still but in 1998 a test was done comparing the explosion and fire comparison of hydrogen and gasoline.  The hydrogen fire lated 1.43 seconds and then self extinguished, where as the gasoline fire lasted until someone put it out.  So when compared hydrogen is actually safer. Now with that said Chevy took 3 of its Equinox FCV's and had then literally run over from the front, back and side by a tractor trailer semi truck, in all three cases the cars never exploded, any occupants would have been killed anyway, but the test proved that no collateral  damage would occur, little consolation for the people in the car but if the same thing happened with a gasoline car the possible fire risk was higher.  

Hope that helps, problem is everybody thinks about the Hindenburg when they hear hydrogen, what the don't realize is that it was painted with paint that had the same chemical composition as jet fuel, so of course it burned spectacularly, if the fire had only had hydrogen as the fuel the fire was estimated to last 7 seconds, not the almost 5 minutes that occurred when the Hindenburg crashed.  luckily no jet fuel will be used as paint for FCV's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users