Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

What's the best Christmass Present you gave?

7 replies to this topic

#1 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

POPULAR

The first year of our marriage, we were so poor and in debt, that we couldn't afford Christmas.  We convinced ourselves, that we didn't really need presents, we had each other.  I had discovered during that first year, that my wife was able to make money stretch further than I could, when buying things and I was better at saving money, by doing without things.

So for Christmass, I surprised her with an envelope full of dollar bills, I had squirreled away that year.
I told her she MUST spend it all on Christmass Decorations, so that we could enjoy them together next year, and remember our first Christmass together.  She said there were so many practical things we needed more, but I insisted, that all the decorations were at their lowest price after Christmass, they were our presents to ourselves to enjoy now and every year to come.  We had scrimped and saved, for a whole year and we needed to release the pressure, on ourselves, by spending on somethings that make us happy.

She did spend that money on Christmass decorations over the next week, and we excitedly decorated our home each night, like a couple of kids, with what she had bought that day.
For the last 39 years, I have giving my wife an envelope of money, Christmas day.

I say, it's the best way I know, that the present she gets, are the one's she wants, at the best price.
She claims, I'm too lazy to buy her a present, but it makes us both,
think back and remember our first Christmass together.

It's the best Christmass Present I ever gave, and it keeps on giving

Attached Files

#2 Earthling

Earthling

Regular

• Banned
  • 153 posts 65 rep

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

The best Christmas present I ever gave, was advice that saved my best friend's life, sadly, he died the following year.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

View Posteds, on 17 December 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

The first year of our marriage, we were so poor and in debt, that we couldn't afford Christmas.  We convinced ourselves, that we didn't really need presents, we had each other.  I had discovered during that first year, that my wife was able to make money stretch further than I could, when buying things and I was better at saving money, by doing without things.

So for Christmass, I surprised her with an envelope full of dollar bills, I had squirreled away that year.
I told her she MUST spend it all on Christmass Decorations, so that we could enjoy them together next year, and remember our first Christmass together.  She said there were so many practical things we needed more, but I insisted, that all the decorations were at their lowest price after Christmass, they were our presents to ourselves to enjoy now and every year to come.  We had scrimped and saved, for a whole year and we needed to release the pressure, on ourselves, by spending on somethings that make us happy.

She did spend that money on Christmass decorations over the next week, and we excitedly decorated our home each night, like a couple of kids, with what she had bought that day.
For the last 39 years, I have giving my wife an envelope of money, Christmas day.

I say, it's the best way I know, that the present she gets, are the one's she wants, at the best price.
She claims, I'm too lazy to buy her a present, but it makes us both,
think back and remember our first Christmass together.

It's the best Christmass Present I ever gave, and it keeps on giving

Thank you sweetie. That brought good tears to my eyes; and with the last few days of deep sadness
from the tragedy in Newtown, it's good to have tears of joy for a change.

As for the gift; my Pop was a lifelong lover of Laurel and Hardy, and I found two ceramic figures of them
about 3 foot high (years ago, I was 12 or 13-and they weighed a ton too, as I recall.) :laugh:

My Pop was a strong man, but he got teary eyed Christmas morning when he saw them; they made him happy. :biggrin:

#4 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Ed for your sweet story, and you too Shortpoet.  

I think a photo scrapbook I gave my mom a few years ago was the best present I ever gave someone. She loved it so much, since we live far apart and it gave her a way to share in many memories and experiences that she has had to miss out on over the years.

The best gift I ever received was the bedframe my husband built for us. I think it's kind of sweet and romantic that he has built us a bed to share that should last forever. One of these years we are finally going to splurge and upgrade our bedding too, but it's not that year yet.

#5 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Ed
All year you bring us interesting and helpful posts and blogs that keep us not only informed and up to date, but also demonstrate the many practicle and timely ways we can not just live and think green, but also add meaning to our lives.

I too got tears in my eyes when I read this post because you touched our hearts and help us remember what is truly important and magical at the holidays, family, love, selflessness.  You have made many great post here, but this one is the best ever.

My friend, merry Christmas, happy New Year, health and happiness, peace be with you and your beloved bride, poems, prayers and promises to you all.  Your example is a blessing to us all and your voice is a priceless oracle of change we all cherish.

Thank you for this posting and all the rest.
Lois and Jeff Moore

#6 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Definitely, love for your spouse, no matter how you show it, is the greatest gift.  We have also picked up decorations every year as mementos of our near 45 years together, including some my mother gave us from my childhood when we had our first Christmas after marriage.

I always make her the breakfast of her choice then we open gifts together and share the day with friends.  Happiness is good friends and a loving spouse!

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

A gift to wildlife could be included, right?

For the past several years, I cruise the alleyway's after Christmas and bring home the live trees that have been
discarded and pile them up against my fence as a "home" for birdies.
It gives them some protection against the winter winds and area stray cats.

I keep feeders and water close by too. :biggrin:

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

So happy we won't have to listen to his drivel anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users