Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Sweden's Unique Garbage Problem

15 replies to this topic

#1 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

POPULAR

I don't think any other country has Sweden's garbage problem.  Sweden is well known for recycling its waste.  What isn't recycled is then burned to create energy.

Sweden has done so well with reducing its garbage that they only trash 1% of what they throw away.  This has created a problem for the country because they don't have enough garbage to convert for their energy needs.  Because of this, they have to import garbage!

They now import 800,000 tons of garbage which is then turned into energy.  The garbage comes from neighboring European countries.

Sweden is well ahead of the curve when it comes to recycling.  The average in Europe is 38% of trash ends up as waste.  Sweden is 1%.

http://www.care2.com...rt-garbage.html

More information on this "problem" (most countries would love to have this problem!)
http://www.pri.org/s...tion-10428.html

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Once again FTC nice find we want to share this link also. Wow your on fire today. Great thread

#3 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

That's pretty  darn amazing. It really is. I don't see anything of that magnitude happening nationally. I can see cities or states implementing it and spreading nationwide. Very impressive.

#4 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks E3!  You're welcome to share whatever links you find interesting.

Hardison, it would be difficult for the US to set this kind of national goal.  The states would fight any kind of standard for waste reduction either invoking their right to set their own goals or some unseen constitutional right to make garbage.  However, individual states and cities should be working towards goals to reduce waste.  Sweden is setting an example because they not only reduce waste but they convert it to energy.  That's two benefits in one.

I think California is at the forefront of the green living movement.  However, checking around the internet I found that California is at 52% statewide diversion of garbage.  So, we're still trashing 48% of what we consume.  That's not even close to the 38% trash level for most of Europe and a long way from Sweden's 1%.  Note:  That was California's rate for 2006.  It may be better today, but I doubt it is close to 38%.
http://www.calrecycl...6/August/33.htm

San Francisco is working towards a zero waste policy.  This Monday plastic bags will be banned throughout the city.  I guess if any city can do it San Francisco can.  The people seem more willing to take on these kinds of things than in other parts of the country.

#5 ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 237 posts 21 rep

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Wow, that's not a problem. That's an opportunity for neighboring countries to get help from Sweden with their trash.

After reading this, I kind of wish the US was neighbors with Sweden so they could take some of our trash.
1%! That is amazing. We still have a long way to go. Heck, in my neighborhood there are still people who don't even throw their trash in trash cans let alone recycling bins. My neighbor called the police last week because this alcoholic woman that lives nearby was tossing her glass beer and liquor bottles into my neighbor's yard. What a jerk.

#6 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Most countries should wish they had Sweden's problems.  I agree that we could probably fuel all of Scandinavia with our trash.  Too bad they couldn't go out to the ocean and haul the garbage patch to Sweden piece by piece.

You know, this could be an opportunity for one state.  They could borrow Sweden's technology and set up trash to energy conversion facilities.  Then, they could work with other states to convert their trash.  They could make money by charging these states to take their trash (beats renting landfill space).  It probably would turn into a profit making venture after not too long.

#7 ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 237 posts 21 rep

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 05 October 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

Most countries should wish they had Sweden's problems.  I agree that we could probably fuel all of Scandinavia with our trash.  Too bad they couldn't go out to the ocean and haul the garbage patch to Sweden piece by piece.

You know, this could be an opportunity for one state.  They could borrow Sweden's technology and set up trash to energy conversion facilities.  Then, they could work with other states to convert their trash.  They could make money by charging these states to take their trash (beats renting landfill space).  It probably would turn into a profit making venture after not too long.

Yes! Seriously, why can't they borrow a page from Sweden's book and make that happen in the US? Why are people not working on making this happen right now? What would it take to bring that technology to the US?

#8 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Honestly a little governmental action, reduce, reuse and recycle and some education.

#9 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

That is amazing! If only America could get their trash system under control. Sweden has some amazing medical programs too. I just watched a documentary and found out that they had a large boom in heroin usage in the 90s, but their free clinics helped drop that rate down and citizens can now function. I don't know about you all, but I am ready to pack up my bags soon!

#10 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

I honestly think we need to point at these examples on a national stage here in the United States and start a little compatition here to see what and who are the best recyclers, nothing like some good natured competition to get people involved and doing something.  Also good old cash helps too.  Here in Hollywood we get gift cards and bonuses for the amount we recycle.  Lois and I love going to dinner and paying for it with a RecycleBank gift card, it makes recycling fun and makes us want to do more.

National programs by companies like this would make a huge differance.  The companies make more money and pass a little back to the people doing the work, its a win, win for everyone and nobody had to pass a law or use a stick to get people involved.

#11 Pat

Pat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 108 posts 7 rep

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

It would be good to see that type of program used in Sweden to reduce garbage to use in the States, even if each state had to start their own program.  The benefit of getting reduced garbage and energy should get some people thinking how we can use it here. I think I am asking too much:)

#12 teamrose

teamrose

Curious

• Shifter
  • 14 posts 0 rep

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

We have so much garbage in South Florida, they build mountains out of it. Driving past one of the huge dumps smells something awful. Wish Sweden would take some of our trash. In fact, I bet we would pay them to take it off our hands.

#13 Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles

Curious

• Shifter
  • 23 posts 2 rep

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

If the world sent their landfills to Sweden for use as biofuel, things would be much better. It would be equally awesome if the rest of the world adopted their fuel strategy, but we can only hope. I used to live next door to a Swedish couple, and they said that the UK's refuse habits were very wasteful. They talked about biofuel then, and I thought the concept was wonderful.

#14 aerieth

aerieth

Curious

• Shifter
  • 11 posts 0 rep

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

These sorts of initiatives are wonderful and are actually happening in the United States as well. I think going into the 21st century we're going to start to see significant battles over waste in developed and developing countries. It's just too valuable of an energy source to ignore.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

https://www.wm.com/s...echnologies.jsp

#16 ChanellG

ChanellG

Regular

• Shifter
  • 67 posts 7 rep

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

I wish the U.S. had a trash deficit. Not only do people throw out too much that can be reused or recycled, but there are also the people who just dump things at the side of the road. Sometimes they even dump in lots on private property!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users