Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Students Get School to Compost

15 replies to this topic

#1 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

POPULAR

The students at Castro Valley High School in California have gotten their school to compost all food waste.  It started when a group of students noticed how much food waste there was on campus.  They examined the contents of campus garbage cans.  They found that 80% of what was tossed away was compostable or recyclable.

They set out to start their own composting program on campus.  They call themselves the Compost Squad.  They will educate fellow students on what can be composted as well as make sure that it is being done.  They've all volunteered for the task.

It is interesting to note that the school has a financial interest in this project.  Efforts started last year with composting kitchen waste has saved them $10,000.  By eliminating the 80% of trash that is not garbage, they will cut their garbage bill from $50,000 to $20,000 a year.  What school couldn't benefit from some money savings?

They have been recognized as a green ribbon school by the sanitary district.
http://www.mercuryne...unchtime-scraps

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Very nice posting FamilyTreeClimber

Stories like this are why I really feel that young people can make a fantastic difference.  We adults all know we should recycle and most adults have heard of composting, yet by students making it an issue, they in effect force us to “walk the walk, and not just talk the talk”, so to speak.

Likewise you are absolutely correct about the cost savings of 40,000 dollars making a big difference, I wonder what it could be if every school did the same?  That could pay for a lot more education that’s for sure.  I think getting students involved in green in schools is great because it lets the students find the issues most important to them and then do something about it.  It teaches responsibility, the power of action, and the feeling of accomplishment that comes from solving a problem in a positive way.   That helps them to stay excited and involved, and looking for other ways to make a positive difference for the planet.

Again nice thread FTC- Lois likes the story so much she wants to post it to her Facebook account. Thanks for finding such a good example of student activism.

#3 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Great find! Kudos to the students at Castro Valley.  In addition to doing great things for the environment, they are saving the school money.

#4 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

E3, This generation of Californian children were raised with recycling being required by the state and then household composting was enacted when they were young.  To them, separating recyclables and trash is the way it has always been done.  It seems like it's a natural progression for them to demand the same level of environmental responsibility at school that they have at home.

What I like about this story is it wasn't a mandate from the school district, but action by the students.  The students become the teachers.  I think this shows that when kids are raised with these concepts they will strive to improve upon them.

#5 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Great post showing students who want to be involved. This is excellent information. Thanks so much for sharing it..

#6 BuddhaStarlight

BuddhaStarlight

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 7 rep

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

This gives me hope about the future.

I am sad that I can no longer compost. I used to have my own cabin in the woods with a garden, and we composted all of our organic trash (and since we don't eat processed foods, most of our garbage was organic). Composting was an incredibly beautiful and spiritual experience for me. I had a lot of success with it and made some excellent growing soil.

Unfortunately, we had to move back to the city and now live in a box apartment with zero yard space and concrete all around. We don't even have a front porch where we could compost or put plants or anything. I am looking to move again, but it's been difficult to find something in our price range so for now I'm stuck here, having to throw all of my garbage in the dumpster. The landlords are super jerk-offs and don't support the idea of me starting a "community compost" pile somewhere on the landscaping. They say it will make the property look messy and attract bugs, plus no one else in the building is interested. It really sucks. I hope I can move by next Spring at the latest. A part of my spirituality feels dead without being able to compost. :(

#7 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

BuddhaStarlight

Keep the faith and be at peace, we all have times in our life that we are forced to live without things that are important to us.  I am sure that your composting days are not over and your green ideas and living practices are still being used.  It sounds like you are the type of person who recycles and that is a huge step forward.

I hope you will be able to move soon and please remember some of the biggest accomplishments in green living come from us talking and teaching other people about green living.

#8 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

BuddhaStarlight, In California, many waste districts require you to compost now.  They make it easy for you.  You don't have to do the actual composting.  You put your food waste in the green bin (for leaves, grass, etc.).  They make the compost which is sold to agriculture and gardening companies.

It's more difficult when you live in an apartment.  It seems different rules apply.  Even with statewide mandates they seem to be exempt.

E3, There's a famous quote from Gandhi that I can't remember word for word.  But, basically, it says that in order to change the world, start with your own corner.  I believe that.  I think those high school students are a perfect example of it.  If you look at everything that is wrong with the world, you'll be overwhelmed by it.  It's much too large to tackle. If you look at it from the perspective of "what can I do in my corner of the world to make changes?", then it seems possible.

You see that one person making a change might lead to another and another.  Then, that person gets into an elected position, becomes a community leader, or heads an environmental organization.  They push for change and they implement different things.  Then, over time you see attitudes change, too.  I know some people in California resent our recycling and composting program.  But, I bet they are a very small minority now.

You can see this in practice with our composting programs.  San Francisco started it first.  There was an uproar over forced composting.  But, when it was implemented people saw that it really wasn't that much different to throw their food scraps in one can instead of  another.  Two or three years later, my district started the program.  Now several in the state are doing it, too.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

FTC-Gandi: Be the change you want to see.

#10 BuddhaStarlight

BuddhaStarlight

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 7 rep

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

That's awesome, I didn't know they were doing that in California. Unfortunately, in the South it seems we are a little behind in a number of ways. There isn't even recycling at my apartment complex. :( But we will catch up.

#11 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

Shortpoet, that's another good one, but not the one I'm talking about.  It may have been from his autobiography.  Or, maybe it is the same quote but he went into more detail about it in his writings.  I believe it's true.  Some many times we complain about what others aren't doing when really we should be looking at what we ourselves are doing or can do to affect change.

BuddhaStarlight, Some state governments seem to think this is a state's rights issue or that you are attacking someone's freedom if you force them to separate their garbage.  Some are just behind the times.  I have a friend who lives in a small town in Texas.  They have no garbage service.  They burn their garbage on their property.  Until I met her, I didn't realize people were doing that in the US.

My sister's apartment complex doesn't recycle either.  That's in California.  I think they are exempt.  They've just got a big dumpster.

#12 ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 237 posts 21 rep

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thank you for sharing the article. It's great that the students cared that much about composting. The students at my daughter's school are more concerned with fashion and and primping in mirrors, so I don't think composting would catch on at my kid's high school because it requires effort and getting a little dirty.

#13 FlanneryCam

FlanneryCam

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 5 rep

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Awesome story. I really don't understand why groups like schools don't start moving towards money-saving green initiatives like composting! :) It just doesn't make sense to pay someone tons of money to haul away the garbage and then cut the arts programs.

Also, way cool that the students themselves had the initiative to do this! I'm wondering how hard it was to get through the red tape to get this program started? I worked at a hospital for a number of years and wowsers the waste. But getting composting running was considered too much paperwork for the management to let us start it up.

#14 BuddhaStarlight

BuddhaStarlight

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 7 rep

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 01 October 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Shortpoet, that's another good one, but not the one I'm talking about.  It may have been from his autobiography.  Or, maybe it is the same quote but he went into more detail about it in his writings.  I believe it's true.  Some many times we complain about what others aren't doing when really we should be looking at what we ourselves are doing or can do to affect change.

BuddhaStarlight, Some state governments seem to think this is a state's rights issue or that you are attacking someone's freedom if you force them to separate their garbage.  Some are just behind the times.  I have a friend who lives in a small town in Texas.  They have no garbage service.  They burn their garbage on their property.  Until I met her, I didn't realize people were doing that in the US.

My sister's apartment complex doesn't recycle either.  That's in California.  I think they are exempt.  They've just got a big dumpster.

Yep, a lot of people have to burn their garbage here too. There is garbage service in the city but all the surrounding area you either have to burn it or haul it to the dump yourself.

#15 ChanellG

ChanellG

Regular

• Shifter
  • 67 posts 7 rep

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 28 September 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

The students at Castro Valley High School in California have gotten their school to compost all food waste.  It started when a group of students noticed how much food waste there was on campus.  They examined the contents of campus garbage cans.  They found that 80% of what was tossed away was compostable or recyclable...

They have been recognized as a green ribbon school by the sanitary district.
http://www.mercuryne...unchtime-scraps

That is so awesome! I'm glad to see this idea is spreading. I used to teach part-time at a school where the gardening program grew into a small urban farm. Composting is the least of what the kids there do. Hopefully, the kids will inspire their parents to compost at home!

#16 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yep ChanellG

we were excited when FamilyTreeClimber posted this story also.  We are all familiar with the verse, and they will be lead by the children, as with many other advances in the environment, the excitement and innocence of children sometimes, causes us adults to rise to our best, composting is a great way to help the soil, water, and the air.  Brown gold as we call it at my house, is the best natural fertilizer in the world, so we have a big compost tumbler for our garden, but having large input from schools will be a great addition to what individual are doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users