Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

President Obama Blocks Sale of Wind Farms to China!

14 replies to this topic

#1 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

President Obama has blocked the sale of four wind farms, in northern Oregon, near a Navy base, where drones and electronic- warfare planes, are flown in training missions, citing national security risks.

Read more:
http://news.yahoo.co...-181230948.html

#2 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

Good for Obama!  This type of stuff unnerves me.  I sometimes wonder if it makes sense to allow foreign nations into our market for something as vital as energy.  I know it goes on but I question it for security reasons.  I have to admit that I do not fully trust China.

It appears that China has been making other attempts to work their way into our natural resource markets.  One deal was blocked earlier this year which would have allowed a Chinese company backed by the Chinese government to buy up oil drilling interests in the Gulf of Mexico.  One of the main reasons it was blocked is because China refuses to acknowledge the international boycott on Iran and has oil business dealings with them.

But, now I see that they've gone around us and made a deal with a Canadian company that is already established in the Gulf.
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nt-venture.html

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

Obama has America's back. mittens wants to pull the rug out from under our feet.
He (mitt) invested in a Chinese oil company with ties-
wait for it........
to Iran. (Stated in his own tax returns-so it's not speculation or rumor.)
Source

Obama is unlike bush too. Remember when he wanted to sell our ports to  United Arab Emirates?
(Thankfully, the deal fell through when both dems and repubs called foul.)
Source

#4 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Shortpoet, This is the same deal that I mentioned.  Romney invested in the Chinese company for several years even though they were violating the oil embargo against Iran.

We did block the original deal which would have allowed them a chuck of our oil production in the Gulf.  CNOOC has found a way around it though.  They've partnered with a Canadian company.  It is unclear at this point if the Obama Administration can block the deal since we don't have much power over what a Canadian oil company does in the Gulf of Mexico.

#5 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

There is a very strange thing going on in the U. S., I will try to find a link. China has purchaseed land in the midwest to build factories, communities of homes, little towns. The places, will generate tax revenue for the country. Scary in my opinion.  Could not get the link to work, but found something worse. If neither link works, search for china buys us land and check these links there. Sorry.

http://rense.com/general/185/give.htm

http://www.endofthea...e-united-states

#6 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Romney wants money, he will do just about anything for it. He has no values.. When he was against abortion, he invested in a company for waste management, that got rid of aborted material.

#7 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have to say this one is very spooky.  The Chinese practice of pirating new technology and stealing intellectual property rights is well documented to the point that they are now testing a stealth fighter, that looks from the pictures like a direct knockoff of our stealth fighter.

I am not sure if they would have used their own turbine designs or other companies like GE or Siemens, but I will tell you that in the industry both companies have not allowed sales of their recent adaptive pitch/ yaw wind technology, that adjust turbine blades to match changing conditions without the need for a human controller.  Because of its greatly improved wind characteristics the Chinese are reverse engineering the technology as we speak.

The proximity to a naval base testing classified technology would have allowed monitoring of all types of radio, command and control and allowed them to film almost anything in the area, nothing like a tower 300 feet in the air to give you a bird’s eye view of everything.  Also few people understand that the new remote monitoring technology for wind turbines allows digital video and info to be transmitted anywhere in the world, so in my humble opinion, nice call Mr. President.

Oh and watch Romney is slamming the President on his China policies, next he will probably make some comment about it costing jobs even though he himself wants to stop alternative energy because it competes with big oil, gas and coal.  God I wish this election were over.

Anyway back to the thread, did you know that China has dedicated government sanctioned hackers trying to steal Technology worldwide?  When Lois and I were working on a patent idea we needed a type of generator that was only available in China.  Low and behold after talking with the company producing these generators about buying a few for testing our entire office began being hacked, literally within 48 hours, after repeated attempts and us getting notices from all our security software we pulled out of talks and had to change all our Email addresses and pass codes, it did the trick but it got really spooky for a while there.

Nice catch artistry, this is the type of news Americans need to know about.

#8 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

E3, I knew that China's practices were less than reputable, but I had not heard of the hacking of industries.  That is some scary stuff that happened to your business!  It appears that China is jumping ahead of us in alternative energy manufacturing by stealing our research and ideas.

What concerns me the most is these corporations are government owned.   Does the US normally allow foreign government owned businesses to set up operations on our shores?  Maybe this is normal practice.  I don't know.  As I said, I do not trust the Chinese government to be a fair player and to not have ulterior motives.

There is an attitude in Congress that we shouldn't stand in China's way.  Those who talk that way see only dollars and cents.  They don't seem to be able to see far beyond that.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

View Postartistry, on 28 September 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

There is a very strange thing going on in the U. S., I will try to find a link. China has purchaseed land in the midwest to build factories, communities of homes, little towns. The places, will generate tax revenue for the country. Scary in my opinion.  Could not get the link to work, but found something worse. If neither link works, search for china buys us land and check these links there. Sorry.

http://rense.com/general/185/give.htm

http://www.endofthea...e-united-states

Page not found on both
but China is buying foreclosed properties.
http://www.chicagore...ter-buying-loan

http://money.cnn.com...ng-us/index.htm

Rather than pay hefty fines for anti-dumping laws, they're buying properties here in the states; beating us
at our own laws.
http://www.altenergy...panels-goodbad/

#10 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

FamilyTreeClimber if you Google – Chinese-cyber-espionage this is one of the links you will find  http://www.csoonline...conomy-dod-says

The Defense Department says Chinese hackers aiming malware at U.S. industries and government agencies threaten the nation's economy. While not all cyber-espionage originates from China, the communist nation is where a lot of cyber-attacks start.
"Chinese actors are the world's most active and persistent perpetrators of economic espionage," the DoD said in its recent national security report to Congress. "Chinese attempts to collect U.S. technological and economic information will continue at a high level and will represent a growing and persistent threat to U.S. economic security." Since most big companies are state controlled this means that the government of China is allowing this to happen by turning a blind eye toward the situatiion.

China has dismissed such allegations for some time, saying they harken back to days of Cold War politics. Yet officials do acknowledge that-"There's a ghost virus abroad called the Cold War and a virus called the China threat," Qin Gang, a spokesman for China's foreign ministry said in response to another DoD report with similar findings.  

In regard to your question as to the fact that Chinese government owned Corporations are buying US Companies and Properties.  Well that is very real and has been going on for a very long time.  The really sad part is that the trade imbalance means they are using our money spent on low grade, sometimes toxic products and the huge national debt to China to buy up or put out of business, key sectors of the American economy.  Its computer technology, energy, medical, manufacturing, transportation and shipping.  If it cannot be bought then cyber espionage is used.

Once again because we buy their products.  China is the biggest reason why I try buying American made when possible.  A year or so ago ABC did a 3 piece series for the nightly news on trying not to buy Chinese made product, their findings was that it was almost impossible in some areas of our economy like food, clothing, and basic low cost items like Children’s  Wooden Toys (which it turns out where painted with lead paint), you get my point I hope, those low cost products are often substandard, which is how they are undercutting our economy.

I have a cousin, my same age, who has worked in China as a teacher for several years. At a recent family event we had a couple of beers and set and talked about how China gets away with all this.  He has two theories – First we let them get away with it over and over again sending the message we don’t care and second greed. Greg told me that one of the catch phrases today in China is “Everybody wants to be a rich guy,” Meaning that without good laws and oversight individuals will do anything to get rich quick, thinking we won’t find out or care.

Last thing about why this is such a big thing with me. Do you happen to remember the Chinese Drywall sold here in the United States that corroded pipes, electrical lines, walls and so on.  It literally ruined thousands of homes. Now I know for a fact that many of the solar modules produced in China are substandard, many are made of really crappy material, yet they are taking over the solar industry because they are so cheap to buy.

I am literally waiting for that Chinese Drywall like incident to reoccur in the Solar, Wind or Alternative Energy industry.  It is why I will not use their panels in any of my designs or proposals.  Let me tell you I get a lot of blow back from people asking why the cost projections  are higher.  Especially if solar prices are dropping so much.  I have had to do a lot of explaining and at least three times I have been overruled by companies deciding to use Chinese solar in their projects.

If that happens my solution has been to submit, in writing a letter absolving us from using Chinese modules or components.
   Most companies however, after hearing my reasons go ahead and follow our recommendations.

#11 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

I heard about this morning. This is more than a bit scary.

It's really quite shocking the lengths that China will do. It is a matter of national security in addition to protecting American jobs and businesses. They have seemed to devise a strategy to attack from within.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

Now they're suing Obama over it.
Article.

#13 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Let them sue. The law clearly says that in areas of national security the president has the right and obligation to stop foreign owned businesses from threatening national security.  I just wish the law gave him a way to stop big polluters also.

#14 BuddhaStarlight

BuddhaStarlight

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 7 rep

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Totally voting for Obama!

#15 buysoapnuts

buysoapnuts

• Shifter
  • 6 posts 1 rep

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

We do live in a global economy these days.  The balance of allowing foreign investment vs protecting technology is not an easy one to balance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users