Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Borrow, Trade, Share or Rent

10 replies to this topic

#1 Green Thumb

Green Thumb

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 135 posts 7 rep

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Helping others as well as ourselves made these economizing customs popular nowadays.

Have you done your own share of borrowing, trading, sharing or renting stuffs to prevent from buying? What method have you applied so far and how have you benefited from it?

#2 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

Because we live a fair way from the shops, my neighbours and I have got into the habit of trading with shopping. If I run out of milk, I'll borrow some from next door, then replace it next time I go shopping. And if one of us is going shopping, we always ask the other if they want something, or if they want to go along for the ride. Not only does this save on gas, it also saves us both money, as making fewer visits to the supermarket means we spend less.

#3 ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 237 posts 21 rep

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

I've used online swapping sites to trade my books and DVD's with others who have items I want. It's mutually beneficial, green and economical.

#4 godarna

godarna

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 14 rep

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:29 AM

Helping our family with shopping, offering lifts to the market and supermarkt. Thus saving gas and lessen trips to the shops. Saves money and it gives a good feeling to help some one out.
Let the family share in our food, when we have too much and accept food when they offer it to us, Saves electricity and varies your dinners.

#5 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

No, I can say that I have. It's hard to get to know my neighbors so it's hard to share or trade. Everyone sticks to themselves. I do rent movies from the local library instead of buying the DVD. I only buy a DVD if I really like it. In fact, I have been borrowing books from the library more often. I used to purchase the latest marketing or my favorite genre of fiction books. Now, I wait a bit and it's usually at the library 4 to 6 weeks after it's released.

#6 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Unfortunately my neighbors are not enthusiasts to borrow, trade, share or rent anything, and while having good ideas we could implement, all of them are too absorbed in their own bubble world that it's truly hard convincing them of the advantage that such practices may carry to our community and eventually the environment, because my community was trying to encourage the use of a single car to drive 6 neighbors to their jobs rather than having 6 cars rolling out.

No way, neighbors are not the collaborative kind :(

#7 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I often borrow stuff from friend, swap items like books and DVDs online (at sites like swap.com) and rent items I need for parties (like plastic chairs). I share produce from my garden with my family and we even swap veggies too.

#8 Sugarhill

Sugarhill

Regular

• Shifter
  • 55 posts 4 rep

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

The only thing that I could see myself doing is renting a car. I love to drive, but I didn't replace my car after it was totaled. As far as letting someone shop for me, I can't see it. I've seen too many people that don't even know how to pick a pack of bacon and just grab a carton of eggs without looking in, so I'd never trust that to anyone.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

I found these, if anyone is interested in a broader swap.
And they make the point that as kids, we got into swapping/trading at an early age-a twinkie for a apple. :tongue:
http://www.barterquest.com/
http://www.u-exchange.com/
A few ideas in this article too-
http://www.moneycras.../how-to-barter/

#10 fancyfingers

fancyfingers

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 13 rep

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Being a mom of triplets, we had a lot of items, potty seats, cribs, sheets, blankets, lots of toys and especially clothing that we were happy to pass on to other parents, multiples or not, to help them and to keep things from going into the landfill. Most of the clothes I didn't give to other families or donated to charities, I have kept and turned them into quilts.
We have given dishes, pots and pans, furniture to neighbors and nephews and neices starting in their new places. I share many coupons with family and friends to help them stretch their budgets.

#11 Magic Pixel

Magic Pixel

Curious

• Shifter
  • 36 posts 2 rep

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Borrowing, trading, sharing, renting? Hmmm... :smile:  Does buying second-hand books count? Other than that I don't think I have done my bit here. (But then, my neighbours are strange mainacs who don't like even the flowers blooming in our garden so forget about trading anything.) One thing though, I don't buy clothes etc. all the time. And between us cousins we tend to gift each other clothes we've used a few times every now and then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users