Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Why do You Care?

48 replies to this topic

#1 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

I heard a great quote today from Terry Tempest Williams. She said, as a society - we think that the narrative is that everyone wants to be safe and middle class and so on.

No, really, everybody wants to tell somebody else their story and to be considered meaningful and decent, and that we've done something in the world.

This got me thinking about alt energy shift, all of us are taking the time to interact regarding green energy, the environment, sustainable living, clean air and water and so on.

So here is my question to all of you.  What got you interested in the environment and alt energy shift.
To be fair I will start, I was raised on a cattle ranch, where taking care of the land and environment was the first concern.  Things like clean water and air were very important and living with the land instead of trying to conquer it or overuse it was the norm.  One of my first memories as a child was my grandfather and I sitting on horses looking over our land, he was telling me that man had to cherish Mother Nature, and to do this we had to be good and faithful stewards of the land and water resources.  He was also the one that got me interested in wind turbines and solar energy.

After hearing about Alt. Energy Shift on NPR, I decided to check it out and Lois and I were hooked immediately by the thought of this ground breaking international online forum for sustainable energy and green living.

I would also like to say that Hayden, Ed’s, Gina, Yonder, cherrichiodo, tigerlily and all the moderators and staff, and all of you have made this forum a very fulfilling and interesting way to participate in something that we feel is making a big difference in people’s understanding and commitment to our environment.  We have become close to a lot of you, and although we have never met, sharing these ideas with all of you makes this forum a great endeavor that continues to blossom and grow into something that is having a real impact in peoples understanding and lives.  Now Ill shut up.

So what got you interested,  how did you find out about Alt Energy Shift, and why do you care about the environment and green energy and sustainability.  Tell us what you like about the forum and what you would like to achieve.  I hope everyone will write something and this means you especially.

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Gina brought me here.
I was a moderator on the now defunct treehugger forums-had been for several years. When discovery realized
they weren't making money hand over fist with people sharing ideas about becoming greener, they shut it down.
The site had been started by a few folks that wanted to share their ideas, news and thoughts about
living a more sustainable life, but sold the forum to discovery.
And I was a moderator here for a time but too many rules led me to become just a poster (sorry Hayden)
but it's a great forum.
140 characters on Twitter isn't enough, and some other places have "comment" areas, but no real discussions.
We have discussions here and that helps make people become aware. Changing someones point of view.

Anyway-
my Pop got me interested in the Earth at a young age. We'd go "transplant hunting"-looking for small to medium
sized trees suitable for transplant, and I was his right hand "man". Ma always had a garden but us girls
had to pick off those big, fat, juicy, horrible tomato worms, and although I loved the tomato's, I hated those
worms, so I was always ready to go "transplant hunting" asap. Born and bred tomboy.

We lived out in the "boonies" for 7 years before the tract homes/urban sprawl moved in and laid down
paved streets, street lights, and houses all in a row.
It went from peace and quiet with bunnies and butterflies, to noise and bar b ques too quickly.

I want to preserve it for other youngsters so they can have that same experience of peace and quiet and butterflies
that I had. Why shouldn't they experience all the beauty I've witnessed?

If it's all asphalt and houses, it's not living.

#3 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I think I mentioned it somewhere on here before, but you know how old threads get buried. Thankfully one of the rules I try to enforce here is for users to feel free to re-post previously discussed topics. :smile: Thanks for bringing this up in this format. This is a more personal topic and I'm sure we will all take away something positive from it.

For me, the environment has always been close to my heart. I grow up 1 minute walk from the crystal clear Caribbean sea, filled with fish, crab and everything delightful. The outdoors in general made up a large part of my childhood. Then in 2010, revisiting some of these places 2 decades later, seeing how the sea levels rose, opened my eyes even further. I even posted before and after photos some where as well.

Being affected in such as personal way motivated me to try to help. First I started by just donating towards rebuilding beaches but as you know in another few decades the cycle will start all over again. So I started AltEnergyShift and as the name implies the concept was related mainly to clean energy. This was because my focus was still primarily on rising sea levels. :)

Once the site was online for a few months I realized that everyone has a story or a reason - some times a personal one - why they want to live cleaner/greener lives and it does not all revolve around global warming or rising sea levels. Thus, by mid 2011 I opened up the discussion forums to cover all areas of saving planet earth.

A few months later, by chance my wife (she was a big help early on when I left the forum for dead lol) met ShortPoet (GreenTeaDrinker) on TreeHugger and coincidentally Discovery just informed her that they were closing their discussion forums down and ShortPoet thankfully accepted my offer to help out here. So with the help and experience of SP and the other Treehuggers who migrated over with her... Tigerlily, Eds, Yoder, SpiroFlo and others, AltEnergyShift has become what it is... literally it's a forum created by green minded volunteers, for green minded persons.

I just hope that the forums continue to be a positive inspiration to more and more persons, that we can make a difference and even when some things are beyond our control, we can form a collective voice that can be heard. The website - even with the ads - does not pay for itself but it's largely because of my wanting to host it in a virtual hardware environment that uses less energy than hosting it from home on a PC that is otherwise turned off.

This is not the first forum I've created, but certainly the first where the general subject matter isn't exactly something that the masses are dying to chat about. That said it remains the most satisfying project, I've met a lot of cool Shifters and you dont have to worry about me closing it down because its something close to my heart.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Off topic but thank you for those kinds words Hayden. :hug: :wub:

#5 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

One of the things I particularly like about this forum is that it makes people think - and that means you can't just post one-liners, therefore all the idiots who frequent many of the forums don't swing this way. I have to be honest and say the main reason I got into green living was because I read somewhere that it would save money, and I certainly needed to do that!

That said, I've become fascinated by what people can do in terms of recycling, so I've now reduced my waste output considerably. At one time, I thought it was pointless recycling, because there was only so much that could be used, but the more I look into the subject, the more I realise that there's a use for almost everything.

As I get older, I'm beginning to think more of the world my grandchildren will inherit. and I want them to enjoy Nature in all its glory, just as I did when I was growing up. I care, because I want the world to carry on providing a source of wonder for my descendants, and theirs after them.

#6 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 27 June 2012 - 03:04 AM, said:

Off topic but thank you for those kinds words Hayden. :hug: :wub:

....and thank you and of course the rest of the Shifters who've helped make this an enjoyable and purposeful place for all of us to hang out.

#7 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

I had learned and could learn a lot of useful things/ideas on this forum.
This type of forum about alternative energy or environment can make people more aware of what is happening all over the world as we experience different weather changes and the news that had been shared here let me learn more about the situations even I am just sing my computer at home.

#8 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

I can't really put my finger on why I'm into recycling and being green. I think it happened when I lived in San Francisco. I always recycled. I gave to environmental causes. I got involved with an organization to protect the redwood trees.

Over the years, life happened and I moved away from issue that were important to me. I got caught up in the mundane issues of life. This forum has renewed my interest in protecting the environment and Mother Earth.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

And I love the fact that we have people chiming in from all over the world and not just the states.
Green the planet! Yay!

#10 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Great start guys, I like seeing why people want to make a differance and I honestly think that although we may never know it we can inspire others and be inspired ourself.  I look forward to reading more peoples postings and thanks everyone for taking time to share.

#11 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm from the "Silent Generation,"
. . . never heard of us,
. . . that's cause we are silent :unknw:

We few, were born during "The Great Depression,"
. . . when 9,000 Banks went under,
. . . over 30% unemployment and
. . . Job's were created by the WPA.

Then Men went to war, Women worked in factories,
. . . raised "Victory Gardens" and
. . . us "Silent Generation" kids grew up during "World War 2."

The were no TV's, Microwave's, School bus's, no toy's and
. . . Basic Food, Cloths, Gasoline, were all "Rationed."
. . . Horses and wagons were seen on cobblestone streets.

Food was stored in "Ice-Box's" and cooked on kerosine stoves,
. . . (Sounds like camping) :biggrin:
. . . Clothing was washed in the sink, on scrub-boards,
. . . wrung-out by hand and hung out to dry on the cloths-line,
. . . we walked everywhere, adults road bicycles to work,
. . . or took the electric trolly, that ran on rails.

We tried to make the words "Hunger-Pains," and "Hand-me-down's"
. . . disappear from our children's vocabulary.
In doing so, they forgot what the difference is
. . . between a "Need" and a "Want."
They forgot saying's like: "a Fool and their Money are Soon Parted,"
. . . "A penny Saved, is a penny Earned, and NOT Taxable,"
. . . "No body has ever figured a way of,
. . . putting non-renewable resources,
. . . back into the ground."  

The "Recession's" few hundred banks going under,
. . . 10% unemployment, Gasoline prices, debt, Freaky weather,
. . . are just a "wake-up-call."

7 Billion people,
. . . energetically stripping this planet of it's resources,
. . . is just . . . NOT . . . sustainable! :vava:

There were few "Silent Generation" babies to start with,
. . . are very few of us "Silent Generation" left now,
. . . but for our Children, Grand-children and Great-grand-children,
. . . I try to care and share with them,
. . . a picture of a gentler footprint on our planet,
. . . of powering your future, with the Sun and Wind,
. . . because the "Cost" of Not doing it for future generations,
. . . is catastrophic.

The Goal is clear,
. . . Countries other than the USA are leading,
. . . in changing energy source's to sustainable one's,
. . . drastically dropping the cost and pollution of our planet,
. . . improving communication, transportation and education.
While the USA is making some progress,
. . . as a nation, we spend too much time and energy,
. . . battling over who steers the ship.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well said, as always, Ed.

#13 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Loved the posting, how about we all plant a victory garden.

#14 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostE3 wise, on 28 June 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Loved the posting, how about we all plant a victory garden.
Indoor herb garden for sure
but
in my neck of the woods?
Nope - No - and No way. 104 today-It actually hurts to breathe when it's that hot.

#15 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

God I remeber those days in Texas when the days were so hot you just wanted to melt, so I thought I would aask for a poem from a poster we all know, she wrote this a while back but I think it fits, its called its so hot, I was going to post it but I could not find it maybe the original poster will put it back up.

#16 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Oh and to get backon point, I care because temperatures are rising along with sea levels, corals are bleaching, droghts and fires are more common and I can do something about it, so I care.  For those who have not posted yet, Why do you care?

#17 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

View PostE3 wise, on 28 June 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

God I remeber those days in Texas when the days were so hot you just wanted to melt, so I thought I would aask for a poem from a poster we all know, she wrote this a while back but I think it fits, its called its so hot, I was going to post it but I could not find it maybe the original poster will put it back up.
It must have made a lasting impression if you remember it. B)
But "It's so hot" was from an e-mail I sent to a friend. It's on page 6 of this thread.
http://www.altenergy...t/page__st__100
And here's my "Heat" poem too-
http://www.altenergy...1862-heat-poem/

#18 dissn_it

dissn_it

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 183 posts 6 rep

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostE3 wise, on 28 June 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

Oh and to get backon point, I care because temperatures are rising along with sea levels, corals are bleaching, droghts and fires are more common and I can do something about it, so I care.  For those who have not posted yet, Why do you care?
I care because I have four children and it would be nice to have a clean planet for them and all the future generations to live in. I feel that people can make a difference even if all they can do are simple, small things. It all adds up. Collectively we have a voice that can be heard! What we do in the here and now will determine what kind of world the future generations will have to live with. I hope it is a good and clean one.

#19 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

View Postdissn_it, on 29 June 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

I feel that people can make a difference even if all they can do are simple, small things. It all adds up. Collectively we have a voice that can be heard! What we do in the here and now will determine what kind of world the future generations will have to live with. I hope it is a good and clean one.
I wrote this before in another thread (and I hope members don't mind this double post)-

"Granted, our little acts of "kindness" to the Earth might not matter much
but
I've often likened it to rain.

One raindrop goes unnoticed. It rains harder, people cover their heads and duck in doors.
Rains harder still, and they're struggling to fill the sandbags as fast as they can.

Greenies like us? We are the raindrops.

Environmentalists can be that deluge.

Without us demanding change, it either won't get done, or will change too slowly.
We have to keep yelling- "Hey, I want a cleaner planet!"

'Cause if we don't, the single raindrops will continue to be ignored.
Noisy raindrops unite! Posted Image "

#20 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Well spoken dissn_it, I must agree 100% that little simple differences add up and affect the people around us in positive ways. It funny we all dream about big things that change the world but in all actuality it is often little things that cause people to stop and say, hey I can do that. I can use a cup and turn off the water while I brush my teeth, I can check my tires and reduce my fuel consumption, I can buy local and help the economy and reduce green house gasses. I think you are on the right track, all of my four children are grown and so I think about the world my grandchildren will have.
Will they be able to see pristine natural places, will they be able to enjoy living in a world where water and air are clean, and so on. Keep up the great work because little things do change the world.

To ShortPoet I want to say great analogy, rain gives life and causes growth and greening of the world around us, it nourishes the soil and cleans the air, and feeds plants with essintial elements. That’s what environmentalist do also.

On June 22, 1969, an oil slick and debris in the Cuyahoga River caught fire in Cleveland, Ohio, drawing national attention to environmental problems in Ohio and elsewhere in the United States; The Cuyahoga River at one time was one of the most polluted rivers in the United States. The river from Akron to Cleveland was devoid of fish. A Kent State University symposium, convened one year before the infamous 1969 fire, described the river as grossly polluted. This and other rivers caused people to say enough and like rain come together to clean and reclaim the river, it’s still not perfect but now fish have returned and people recreate along its shores.

So let it rain and god bless people who care.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users