Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

How to Cook Green?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Jayde

Jayde

• Shifter
  • 3 posts 0 rep

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

I love baking and cooking and I do it quite often. However, I want to try and use methods that are better for the environment and our bodies, methods that are more green. I've already stopped using paper cups when I make cupcakes or muffins. That way, I am not wasting paper and the cupcakes turn out just as good.

I know there must be more ways than this, though! How do YOU stay green in the kitchen?

(note that I am asking for ways to be green in the preparation and maintenance of the kitchen, not the food itself, so it doesn't belong in the food subcategory!)

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Compost kitchen scraps. Keep a small to medium size container for it, and then dump it in a tumbler or pile weekly.
Health wise-extra virgin olive oil is better than others. (Personally, I wouldn't buy corn oil if it was a penny
a gallon but that's because of their choke hold on the market and their giant lobbying machine, but that's me.)

Try to stay away from spray oil-I don't think the aerosols in those cans can be trusted, no matter what they say.

When washing produce, don't let the water run. Fill a medium sized bowl with water and wash in that bowl.
When finished, water an indoor plant with it, or throw it out outside to water something there.

Use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning vs. chemicals. (Probably the greenest tip of all.)

Install a counter top water filter. Coffee, tea, soups will all taste better, you'll be healthier for it, and you can
stop buying bottled water (if you are still buying it.)
:biggrin:

#3 dissn_it

dissn_it

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 183 posts 6 rep

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Those are some really good ideas to be more green in the kitchen. We have been composting, making homemade cleaners and using EVOO. I have not done the other ideas but will start doing them, too. I like the idea of using the produce rinse water to water other plants. I already use the fish tank water on my houseplants whenever I clean the fish tank. I'll start using the produce water to water my front flower bed plants.

#4 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Buy only what you plan to eat.  I've had the best of intentions while standing in the produce aisle only to end up throwing away moldy produce.

Freeze leftovers.  I always make enough for 3 or 4 meals.  I freeze a couple of portions.   You can freeze things like canned bean and tofu, too.   It saves time and money.  I would assume it saves electricity and gas since you're not starting a whole meal from scratch.

Don't peel your vegetables.  Scrub them clean to get off the dirt.  Many of the nutrients are in that first layer.

Read up on fresh vegetables to see if the whole plant can be eaten.  Some of those greens we chop off and throw in the garbage/compost are edible.

Use an environmentally safe dish soap.  I use Seventh Generations brand with no scents, dyes, or other additives.  Some people make their own.  Don't run the water while you are scrubbing your pots and dishes unless it is necessary.  That wastes a lot of water.

#5 aspen

aspen

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 220 posts 21 rep

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

We can tell how much packaged food we consume by the amount of recycled waste we need to deal with. If you have easy access to whole foods stores to bulk buy grains, legumes, cooking oil and other foods then you are closer to cooking green. Our local bulk-food store closed down after years of providing this type of products in our town. I have noticed how much I now buy from a large chain supermarket by the packaging I need to throw away into the recycling bin. :sad:  My next nearest bulk-food shop is in the capital city an hours drive away.

#6 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

We do buy organic or fresh ingredients and we ensure there are no or less leftovers. We also cook in big/large amount and usually just one dish so that less time to be consumed when cooking which can also mean less fuel or heat used. And we segregate cans if ever we have as well as bottles both plastic or bottle since those can be brought in the junk shop.

#7 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

Wish I could buy a solar-powered stove or one using bio-fuel but not having any yet, I try to cook more than one dish at once to reduce electric consumption since I don't have gas supply just now.

In addition, I wash my dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher.

#8 Green Steve

Green Steve

Curious

• Shifter
  • 11 posts 1 rep

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Without question, the biggest factor in whether you are cooking green is how often you cook meat and what meats in particular. Now don't get me wrong, I do eat meat but knowing that lamb and beef are far worse in terms of carbon footprint than chicken, fish and even pork leads me to save these more carbon heavy meats for special occasions. That and I try to have a few vegetarian meals each week.

#9 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have reduced the amount of processed food purchased. Not only is it green, it's healthy I no longer buy bottled water. We use a filter. I also don't buy a lot of food at one time. I only buy what I need for a couple of days. One of my favorite grocery stores is a mile away and it's no problem for me walking to the store. Living in an apartment, it's hard to be green. Especially if your roommates are not on the same page as you.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

I ran across this article and even though it's not about cooking green, it's related because it's about greening
the kitchen.

Remodeling a more sustainable kitchen-
1- Using salvaged wood or old cabinets vs. purchasing new which has a larger footprint on forests.
This would also include, reviving existing cabinets with sanding them down, adding a new stain color
or paint (low to no voc's of course.) using salvaged hardware or even utensils (fashioning spoons or forks
for the hardware) or removing centers and inserting recycled glass panels.

2- Replacing old appliances with Energy Star models. (And taking old appliances to the recycling center.)

3- Update lighting to cfl's/led's. Installing a sky tube so lighting may not even be necessary.

4- Do your homework and find the most eco-friendlier counter tops. Mining for granite or quartz is very destructive to
our ecosystems.

5- Set aside an area for composting vs. installing a garbage disposal. Food sent down water waste lines
are overwhelming many city systems and that food can be composted into black gold instead.

6- Installing a grey water system for watering outside plants and trees.

7- Flooring. During the remodel, would it be possible to install  a heated floor system before you recover with
tile? It would help reduce the heating use for the entire house if this is installed.
Also looking at the products for the flooring - what is the most environmentally friendly covering?

http://sustainablog....ontent=My Yahoo

#11 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

I think the single most 'green' thing you can do regarding cooking is to do things in bulk. Buy ingredients from 'weigh and save' stores which use minimal packing materials. Cook in bulk - it takes no longer to cook a meal for 6 or 8 than to cook a meal for 2. Then all you have to do is freeze the surplus, then thaw and reheat as necessary. I also reuse the vegetable washing water, either for watering plants or for flushing the toilet, depending on how much there is, and whether it's been raining or not.

#12 BuddhaStarlight

BuddhaStarlight

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 7 rep

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostSandra Piddock, on 27 June 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

I think the single most 'green' thing you can do regarding cooking is to do things in bulk. Buy ingredients from 'weigh and save' stores which use minimal packing materials. Cook in bulk - it takes no longer to cook a meal for 6 or 8 than to cook a meal for 2. Then all you have to do is freeze the surplus, then thaw and reheat as necessary. I also reuse the vegetable washing water, either for watering plants or for flushing the toilet, depending on how much there is, and whether it's been raining or not.

Whenever I do that we end up just eating more and it's gone in the same amount of time, lol.

#13 adam_a

adam_a

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

I think shopping at farmer's markets will also help. You can talk to those who grew your food and find out if they used any pesticides or fertilizer (I buy from the farmer’s who don’t). In my case I can actually go to a free-range poultry farm to buy my eggs and play with the baby chicks.

Don’t forget to bring your own bags to cut down on plastic bags/packaging.

On the same note you can grow some of your own food in a garden or window box.

#14 fancyfingers

fancyfingers

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 13 rep

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Reading through this thread, a lot of this information can double as how can I save money. These ideas that have been posted will cut your spending down, that will free up funds to apply somewhere else in your budget, plus, your body will be healthier. Maybe with the saved funds you can purchase a solar oven. Or if you are adventureous, find the how to on the internet and build your own solar oven.

For me in the kitchen, I plan my meals, including what to do with the left overs. I will freeze single servings, as well as full entrees. Preparing vegetables and meats for a variety of meals (like slice onions for fajitas, dice onions for chili, etc and freeze in a meal packet). This saves money, time and we eat healthier.

#15 ChanellG

ChanellG

Regular

• Shifter
  • 67 posts 7 rep

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

You could try cooking less. Serve meals made up of dishes that don't require a lot of use of the stove or oven and you'll save energy, which is definitely a greener way to live. Also, when you do cook, try one pot meals like adding onion and vegetables to rice as it's cooking. Cook in large amounts so you have left overs, especially if you can make things that can also be served cold or at room temperature.

#16 johnygreen

johnygreen

Regular

• Shifter
  • 69 posts 3 rep

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

From my point of view, following are some eco friendly tips to be more greener in kitchen:

If you do not like to eat what you cooked yesterday then do not cook in more quantity than the actual requirement, because this way some food will go waste. Otherwise you can store leftovers in fridge which can be used later.

If possible then water the plants by the water which you use in washing vegetables.

Use Glass Jars(big or small both) instead of plastic jars to store raw food products like grains, cereals, spices, etc. As these are more long lasting(if proper care is taken) and more eco friendly than the plastic jars. These are also safe for our health as well.

Buy organic food products. If you are not aware of this then do a little research for organic farming.

The leftovers of the raw vegetables & fruits can be used in garden to make compost manure.

Do not waste much water in kitchen, try to prevent wastage of water, it is quite common by our improper practices we waste a lot of water which can be saved if used wisely.

Use grocery bags made from jute to bring vegetables or grocery items, instead of poly bags, paper bags and cotton bags, as jute is much more eco friendly than paper, cotton and plastic.

Be vegetarian! As being vegetarian, you will help the environment a lot. Don't believe! Then read this.

That is it. Thanks!

#17 ChanellG

ChanellG

Regular

• Shifter
  • 67 posts 7 rep

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

One way to cook green, that is to be able to use less energy, is to cook a large amount of a staple side such as plain rice, pasta, or some other grain, and recycle a portion of it each day. You can mix other ingredients with the rice or pasta to change flavors from day to day and even serve the new dish cold or at room temperature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users