Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

What light bulbs are you usng at home?

energy saving light bulbs CFL Light Bulb

129 replies to this topic

#1 Hayden

Hayden

Admin

• Global Moderator
  • 1,489 posts 72 rep

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

An average user can expect to save $36.00 per bulb per year when using Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulbs over incandescent bulbs. CFLs cost more upfront, however this cost is matched after using the CFL for 500 hours.

Currently at home we use GE CFL Daylight Light Bulb: 15 Watt (65W Equivalent).

According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, if every U.S. household replaced just one regular incandescent light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb, it would prevent 90 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions from power plants, the equivalent of taking 7.5 million cars off the road. And the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says that by replacing regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs at the same minimal rate, Americans would save enough energy to light more than 2.5 million homes for a year.

What about you what light bulbs are you using or plan to use?

#2 amylisa1127

amylisa1127

Curious

• Shifter
  • 17 posts 4 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:43 AM

I do use the CFL bulbs in every fixture in every room in my home. It only makes sense to me to save some money while helping the enviroment at the same time. In the future, it would be nice to see that CFL were the only choice people had.

#3 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

The use of CFLs also doesn't necessarily save you as much as many proponents promote especially in climates where some form of heating is required for part of the year. In these areas, the heat from the incandescent was heating the home in cooler months. You either pay directly or indirectly for the heating if you need to heat. Only if you have an air conditioner running much of the the time or need some level of cooling does the use of the CFL make complete sense.

In the future, we should move to LEDs to avoid the mercury problems associated with CFL bulbs and get even greater efficiency.

#4 Cecille

Cecille

• Shifter
  • 4 posts 1 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

I use CFL bulbs as well. It suits my eyes well compared to incandescent bulbs. Plus, it saves more energy so we choose to buy it everytime we need one. There are even cheaper brands here, though they don't really last long.

#5 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

About a year or so ago, I started to use energy saver bulbs. They are Hg WMn bulbs, I am sure they are saving energy, although I have not compared the new usage of the bulbs with any old bills. Wish there was an energy saver for the television set. "o)

#6 cyberrunner

cyberrunner

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 3 rep

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:46 AM

I have been using Energy saving bulbs for quite some time now, and I can say that I have slashed my electricity bill by 37%. I also like the fact that they are dimmer but one key factor is that it's quite still expensive. Hopefully, production cost will come down in the near future.

#7 kathie_san

kathie_san

Regular

• Shifter
  • 99 posts 5 rep

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

I've been using CFL bulbs for quite sometime and it really is better in terms of the light it sheds and energy consumption.Aside from that I think they last longer than incandescent bulbs, or is it just my effort of switching off the lights at night when watching TV? ;)

#8 gangandealer

gangandealer

Regular

• Shifter
  • 58 posts 2 rep

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

I am currently using a fluorescent light bulb, as I have already switched all of my old light bulbs. One point to make is that these fluorescent light bulbs save money and energy, but once they are no longer usable, they are really bad for the environment, If it goes into landfill, and the glass breaks, then the mercury inside the light bulb will be released in to the light bulb. I'm no rocket scientist, but I know for a fact that mercury is not good for our environment!

#9 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

The key to solving this is cradle to grave management of the product by the companies manufacturing and selling the products. Before you buy fluorescent bulbs, ask the retailer if they recycle the bulb. If they don't, buy the bulb where they do. You can also ask the retailers or write their headquarters demanding that if they are going to sell something that is toxic that they better take them back when they are done. Also be wary of any products made in 3rd world countries because although they may even take the product back, they might just toss it into a landfill because nobody is watching.

#10 nick87

nick87

Curious

• Shifter
  • 25 posts 5 rep

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

I use CFL bulbs even though LED bulbs actually save more energy (and consequently more money), but LED bulbs still cost more up front than CFL. It's one of those small steps forward without too much of change.

#11 Monkey Doctor

Monkey Doctor

Curious

• Shifter
  • 26 posts 3 rep

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

I am having a real dilem with this at the moment. We are encouraged to use energy saving lightbulbs yet the production of these bulbs is far more destructive/environmentally unfriendly than the old style of bulbs. When it comes to recycling they are a nightmare too.

At the moment all the lightbulbs in my house are energy saving but as all the electricity I use comes from sustainable sources I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wiser and more environmentally friendly to use the old style bulbs that are much more easily recycled...

#12 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

We are also using Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs in our household for years already since it consumes less  electricity. The price of electricity is becoming more expensive and we really like to find ways how to save electricity to lower those monthly bills. And knowing it is more healthy for the environment also, we all have the reasons to chose CFL bulbs than incandescent bulbs.

#13 Jkility

Jkility

Curious

• Shifter
  • 27 posts 0 rep

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

To be honest i really dont know, we've only just moved into this place a year ago because it is a new build, so were still using the light bulbs that have been in here originally.

#14 godarna

godarna

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 14 rep

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

I use energy saving bulbs since the introduction, 26 years ago. I still remember those awful big heavy bulbs Philips manufactured. But, it's still amazing how long those bulbs lasted. There are two bulbs in the bedroom's reading lamps, and I honostly forgot when I bought them. These ones must be more than 16 years old.

#15 BOF

BOF

Curious

• Shifter
  • 13 posts 0 rep

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Like most in this thread, my family also uses CFL bulbs. That said, I doubt the cost savings claims that are made because my electric bill was only marginally lower after making the switch. In the grand scheme of things though, the cost savings wasn't the reason why we made the switch so that's not a big deal to us.

#16 Bababooey

Bababooey

Curious

• Shifter
  • 44 posts 2 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

I've started using CFL bulbs as well, but only because they seem to have stopped making the regular 100-watt bulbs. I find these new ones aren't as bright, and the light isn't as "warm" as what I'm used to. The "daylight" bulbs also seem really harsh, and almost like industrial-type fluorescent. I suppose I'll have to get used to them.

#17 neodoxa

neodoxa

Curious

• Shifter
  • 36 posts 3 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

I use CFL bulbs, too.  The ones with the 5700K - 7000K color temperature have that "daylight" look to them and are pretty nice.  They work really well as grow bulbs on tanks (I grow bromeliads and other tropical plant species) for the wattage they use.  Apparently they have a bit of mercury in them or something, but I"m not very well versed in the lighting department.

Neodoxa

#18 Don

Don

Curious

• Shifter
  • 31 posts 2 rep

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

As soon as we bought our house, we switched up to CFL bulbs. We've been here four years now, and I've only had to replace two. However, my wife does say that the light is too harsh in the bathroom, so I suppose that's one drawback. Still, she'll live.

#19 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

I used to use CFLs but stopped after one broke and a few years later I went through an earthquake. I do *not* like that you need a hazmat team to clean those things up.

I'm in a small place, so I don't need as much lighting as a big house would need. Right now I'm back to the old bulbs. Sorry, but I've had it with CFLs.

Now you wanna talk LEDs, I'm all ears. I prefer using energy-saving bulbs, so I'm eagerly awaiting LEDs that are suitable for lighting up a room (that also fit in my budget).

I also use daylight when I can, too.

#20 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

I have CFLs in about half the fixtures here. I have yellow shades on the lamps with CFL bulbs and it helps to soften the light. I also have lamps that take low wattage candelabra type bulbs that don't use much energy and last a long time. I use those lamps in places that need light to get around without tripping over things. I find that we really need a lot less light than we think we do. Bright light for reading and cooking and that's it. I also have a string of inexpensive Christmas lights on our balcony that provides lots of light, lasted for 10 months before needing replacement - and that's with being turned on for a few hours every single night. I use candlelight a lot and I often use a booklight for reading that uses rechargeable batteries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users