Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Why not just pass a law?

22 replies to this topic

#1 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hey, an idea from North Carolina:  Just pass a law saying that there isn't any climate change.

That's just about what some state senator seems to have in mind for North Carolina.  Proposing a law prohibiting coastal planners from using science to plan for sealevel rise, instead using past history.

see http://blogs.scienti...l-rise-illegal/
see   http://www.nationofc...ence-1338561911

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

GAFB.
Folks in Oklahoma & Texas could ignore the twisters.
- California could ignore the wildfires.
-Louisiana, Mississippi could ignore hurricanes.
-New England states could ignore record snow fall amounts that crush their homes.

What a concept. :blink:
It would also stop all gun violence, because people wouldn't be killed by bullets as long as they ignore them.
"The horror-the horror." Colonel Kurtz

#3 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

And we could pass a law simply ignoring the category/signal warnings of a cyclone/typhoon here in our country. Its signal #1 right now here and already been raining hard. And if it ignored, what would be the consequences of it. I just missed the radio/TV announcement of it this morning and forgot to bring my umbrella on way to a Saturday's overtime work, now I'm soaking wet upto to the socks.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:38 AM

View Postjoeldgreat, on 01 June 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

And we could pass a law simply ignoring the category/signal warnings of a cyclone/typhoon here in our country. Its signal #1 right now here and already been raining hard. And if it ignored, what would be the consequences of it. I just missed the radio/TV announcement of it this morning and forgot to bring my umbrella on way to a Saturday's overtime work, now I'm soaking wet up to to the socks.
But according to this new law they're purposing-they'd ask-what socks, what rain? :laugh:

#5 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard of.  Pretending something doesn't exist not only DOESN'T make it go away it generally makes it worse!

#6 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

Good grief, I am surprised they have not thought of this a long time ago. Nothing iike creativity to help block reality. Doesn't it all make sense? The planet is changing and the delusional people keep on walking around with blinders on. I just hope my air conditoner keeps working this summer. Cheers.

#7 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

wow...really?? So what are they going to do when the ocean covers some of the beach front houses? Maybe they will tell them their calculations were off a little.  Let me guess, these lawmakers live far inland? I just don't get why people can't see the scientific facts, science has proven us to be accurate many times over.  Scientists know what they are doing on an average.  Wait, maybe that's the problem :blink:

#8 dissn_it

dissn_it

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 183 posts 6 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

They want to do what? Let me see if I have got this right. They want to pass a law that requires past history is used to plan for future coastal issues and simply ignore what the scientists are saying. Denial isn't good planning at all. What happened in the past isn't going to predict the future, especially when it comes to climate changes. That state senator that proposed this bill really needs his head examined.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

"No State agency, board, commission, institution, or other public entity thereof shall adopt any rule, policy,
If the Commission has not approved a sea-level rise rate, then the sea-level rise policy shall not use a rate
of sea-level  rise.  
If the Commission has not approved a sea-level rise rate,
then the sea-level rise policy shall not use a rate of sea-level rise."

Written in part by Sandy I.M. Airhead.

Posted Image

#10 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hey, could work out pretty well for developers.

Buy here at this beautiful beachfront development. When sea level rises and wipes it out they say, "hey, sorry, these things happen, no one can predict them and we consulted and abided by state regulations. But look, we have this other development we built a little inland that's now beachfront property. Buy here. It's perfectly safe now. The state say so. But, you know, just in case the sea level continues to rise, we have this other development even farther inland. Just keep retreating and buying new houses and you'll always have beachfront developments!" (and we'll always have profits and a steady stream of customers).

That's facetious, of course, but you just know that someone somewhere is profiting by this.

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

Folks in California have taken a different view-they're dealing with it and moving inland, rather than throwing
good money after bad, trying to fix piers and moorings that were beaten up by the waves.
Across the globe, people are either reinforcing and building walls or retreating.

Story here.

#12 Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007

Curious

• Shifter
  • 24 posts 0 rep

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Heck, I guess we could pass a law at the same time saying the war between the States never happened, we never were a part of Britain, or that the planet should no longer be called Earth, but home. This is outrageous and why should they not let the planners use this type of information, I mean who is going to get the last laugh? My money is on the planet.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Tthe boogie man under the bed can't get me as long as my feet don't touch the floor........................ :wacko:

#14 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Well, as always, you are as always a funny person. If you don't believe, it won't eat ypu. Close your eyes and the dragon will disappear.
These are serious times with unserious people. Wake up from your long sleep people. The currents are moving.

#15 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

Californians could pretend there are no earthquakes.  Just earth remodelers.

When did we get to be such science deniers?  Were Americans always like this, but we didn't have the Internet to tell us so?

I sometimes think that when I was in science and biology classes learning things, those around me must have been asleep.  It's scary to me to think that the people in their 40s and 50s who are a part of my generations are the ones being so stupid.

#16 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

They surely never heard the tune-"She blinded me with science!" :laugh:

#17 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Jerry Libbin, the Miami Beach commissioner says it's "common sense" to deal with rising sea levels, and is taking
steps to do so.
They have proposed a stormwater management master plan, drawn up in conjunction with the Army Corps
of Engineers.

And hold onto your hats everyone, it's based on-
wait for it-
data and science! OMG.

They also mention their puzzlement over North Carolina's decision to deny, deny and of course, deny.

But the article also points out that North Carolina isn't alone in their nimby thinking-
Arizona, Louisiana, Alabama, Kansas and Tennessee all think so do. Nah-it ain't real here. Nimby.

Tennessee has passed a resolution-
condemning sustainability. :ohmy:

Full article here.

#18 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Amazing, what the ham happened? Unbelieveable. Maybe, there is hope yet. Thanks much. Cheers.

#19 ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 237 posts 21 rep

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:32 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 14 September 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Jerry Libbin, the Miami Beach commissioner says it's "common sense" to deal with rising sea levels, and is taking
steps to do so.
They have proposed a stormwater management master plan, drawn up in conjunction with the Army Corps
of Engineers.

And hold onto your hats everyone, it's based on-
wait for it-
data and science! OMG.

I'm from Miami so I'm relieved that the Miami Beach commissioner is being so logical and not putting people in danger.
That North Carolina senator sounds like he might be slightly mentally ill. You can't make something go away by pretending it's not real. You can't dismiss science.

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:43 AM

View PostACSAPA, on 16 September 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

That North Carolina senator sounds like he might be slightly mentally ill.
:laugh:
You nailed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users