Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

More good news for #Windpower.

renewables clean non-emissions

97 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

I recently posted a "more good news for solar", so I wanted to post it about wind too. Posted Image

"GE will supply 38 wind turbines for four wind projects in construction in Northern Poland.
When operational, these projects, referred to collectively as Darlowo Wind Energy Center,
will mark the first use of GE’s 2.5-megawatt class wind turbines that feature
103-meter rotors for high productivity in Poland.

Invenergy and Polish development company Enerco are collaborating to develop nine wind energy generation projects in the region in and around Darlowo, near the Baltic Sea.
GE provided 32 wind turbines for Darlowo which was fully commissioned in March 2011 and today produces 80 megawatts of power.

Phase Two, will bring the total installed capacity of wind energy in the Darłowo area to 175 megawatts.

Phase Three will consist of two additional projects, which currently are under contract.
These sites will boost the aggregate output of the nine Darlowo projects to 250 megawatts."
Source

#2 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Outstanding!!!!  How are we doing on wind energy by the way?  At one time I heard we were #1.  Is that still the case?  I wonder how we are doing per person, not just by country.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostPhil, on 08 May 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Outstanding!!!!  How are we doing on wind energy by the way?  At one time I heard we were #1.  Is that still the case?  I wonder how we are doing per person, not just by country.
We're cooking. (according to wiki)
"Construction of new wind power generation capacity in 2011 totaled 6810 megawatts (MW) bringing the cumulative installed capacity to 46,919 MW.
This capacity is exceeded only by China.
In 2011 the electricity produced from wind power in the US amounted to 120 terawatt-hours (TW·h) or 2.9% of all electric power.
In 2010, the wind power industry in the US received 42% ($4986 million) of all federal subsidies for electricity generation.

Fourteen states have installed over 1,000 MW of wind capacity, and a total of 37 states now have installed at least
some utility-scale wind power.
Texas, with 10,337 MW of capacity, has the most installed wind power capacity of any U.S. state, :cheer:
followed by Iowa with 4,322 MW.
The Alta Wind Energy Center in California is the largest :biggrin: wind farm in the United States with a capacity of 1020 MW of power."
http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

#4 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

THis is good news, it's good to see more states and corporations getting behind the idea of wind power.

#5 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

I think more countries are coming around to the idea that, while wind turbines may not look good, they are necessary for sustainable energy. Spain certainly seems to have embraced wind power. Driving up through the middle of the country, there are turbines stretching as far as the eye can see across the mountains. You'd think they would be a blot on the landscape, but strangely, they don't detract from the natural  beauty - if anything, they seem to enhance it. And that's not just my eco-friendly view either. Others have said it's quite a sight to se rows of turbines stretching out along the mountains.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostSandra Piddock, on 09 May 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

I think more countries are coming around to the idea that, while wind turbines may not look good, they are necessary for sustainable energy. Spain certainly seems to have embraced wind power. Driving up through the middle of the country, there are turbines stretching as far as the eye can see across the mountains. You'd think they would be a blot on the landscape, but strangely, they don't detract from the natural  beauty - if anything, they seem to enhance it. And that's not just my eco-friendly view either. Others have said it's quite a sight to se rows of turbines stretching out along the mountains.
Like white Pelicans sitting on the shore. :wink:

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:56 AM

Found this too.
Clean water from wind power. :tongue:

"A cool new concept being tested in the Abu Dhabi desert uses a wind turbine to condense water from the air
and pump it into storage tanks for filtration and purification.
The 30-kW wind turbine houses and powers the whole system.
Air is taken in through vents in the nose cone of the turbine and then heated by a generator to make steam.
The steam goes through a cooling compressor that creates moisture which is then condensed and collected.
The water produced is sent through pipes down to stainless steel storage tanks where it's filtered and purified.
A prototype of the technology has been installed in Abu Dhabi and has been capable of producing
500 to 800 liters of clean water a day from the dry desert air."
Source

#8 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

California and Texas, seem to be out front and progressive, with alternative sources of energy. It is so great to see movenment in the states. Hopefully it will continue. Thanks so very much for the great information.

#9 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

I actually like how wind turbines look, they remind me of giant toys or something :P   Maybe I like how they look because I know I am looking at beneficial progress :)

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

View PostMakingCents, on 09 May 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

I actually like how wind turbines look, they remind me of giant toys or something :P   Maybe I like how they look because I know I am looking at beneficial progress :)
I think so too. It's visceral. We know it's better than coal, so we subliminally like it. :biggrin:

#11 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Good to hear.  I know WA is installing wind power along the coast.

#12 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

Excellent news!  When companies like GE get involved, you know that a shift in thinking is beginning to happen.  Once they decide that they can make a profit off something, they find a way to get develop the technology.

I remember Governor Schweitzer of Montana talking about wind power production in his state.  I think Montana supplies energy to five states with it's wind power production.  Schweitzer mentioned that one thing Montana has plenty of is wind.  It's a smart to take advantage of something that is free that you have an abundance of.

I'm only aware of the Altamont Pass wind turbines in California, but I am sure there are more.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:53 AM

More jobs being added too because of wind power.
Source

#14 dissn_it

dissn_it

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 183 posts 6 rep

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

It is so good to hear that wind power and other alternative energy technologies are finally starting to take off. I know Oregon has a lot of wind turbines along the coast now. They are also working on wave energy. Here locally, a farmer will be using his fields while the wind tubines spin above him. We have a house just down the road from us that has their very own small wind turbine. It is wonderful to see more and more progress is being made everyday.

#15 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

If I'm not mistaken Montana surpassed Texas as the largest wind power producer.

#16 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

According to this site, there are 68,000 turbines in operation around the world. B)
http://www.biofuelsw...-of-wind-power/

#17 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Really great news and more to come! :biggrin:
Also hoping that there will be an increasing number of wind turbines here since the turbines in a certain province seems to be really useful there and it even become a tourist spot or attraction for the province.
More corporations/companies like GE should be a supporter of alternative energy sources projects.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

Siemens pushing ahead with more turbine installations.
http://cleantech.str...sl=DUiiLPv5Tff1

#19 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Wow, that's a lot of power!  Looks like England is making some big moves.

#20 Pat

Pat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 108 posts 7 rep

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

This is good new.  More good use of  natural wind to produce electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users