Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Ooh, I sprained my arm!

21 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Patting myself on the back! :laugh:

I just got my April electric bill.

Last years usage 38.5KWH/day
This years usage -6KWH/day

That's minus as in negative!  Even better, they rebated me $12.16 which lowered my basic customer charge.  Last year's bill $86, this years $10!

If you are sitting on the fence, STOP IT!  Jump in now!

#2 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

Wow. that's incredible. In the long run, it's well worth it. Congratudlations. :yahoo:

#3 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

We have to celebrate the positive!  Can't wait till BEV's become affordable, that's my next goal.

#4 4leafclover

4leafclover

Regular

• Shifter
  • 73 posts 4 rep

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Hats off to you! I am actually really working on lowering my electrical bill, my aim is to lower is to about 30-40% off from the previous ones so thanks for the boost!  :)

#5 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'm also waiting for LED bulbs to mature a little more.  I have 24 incandescent floods but can't find a dimmable LED that works with electronic dimmers.  Once they go main stream one may be easier to find and I may be able to get to net zero electricity.

#6 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

Congratulations! That really is great and the more people who can do it, should do it.
I'm not sitting on the fence, though, just in a city apartment. :tongue:
So, I can't install solar panels, but I can and have and continue to improve efficiency and conservation and lower my bills. Still, I'm jealous. :tongue:

#7 meowcow

meowcow

Regular

• Shifter
  • 51 posts 7 rep

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Those savings are HUGE! SOLD! Lol Billy Mays couldn't have sold it better himself. :) I am happy to hear of your success, I am wishing you a lot more savings! I can't wait to be able to afford solar panels so I can test this out myself. Thanks to your story, I am now more motivated to earn and save more so I can faster reach that goal. Thanks for sharing!

#8 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Mariaandrea,

Every bit helps of course.

Meowcow,

Thanks!  If I can encourage just one person to get excited it's worth it!

#9 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

You can really encourage a lot with your opening posts. :wink:
That was a $76 savings/earnings and that was already a lot. So in the long run you can really get back the expenses you had used for solar panels and setting it up.

#10 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

With all the subsidies and low prices, now is the ideal time to buy.  Self install can really make it pay off if you are able.

I think we are at the beginning of a world wide shift in energy generation and usage.   A decade from now the world will be a different place if trends continue.

#11 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Oh my, don't remind me the electric bill, I'm scared to death whenever I hear about it due to the high consumption of this house and the little I can do while leaving here, my parents' house where people is reluctant to observe environment-friendly measures.

However, CONGRATS PHIL!!! Yes, all in uppercase because it's a great achievement besides good money saving.

#12 Grandma Hugme

Grandma Hugme

Curious

• Shifter
  • 12 posts 0 rep

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Purchasing solar panels is the next step in our plan to reduce our electric bill.  We had bronze colored tint placed on each window and found it reduced the bill by $65.00!  Wow!   But after reading the savings reported above, we are definitely headed out to find the best possible solar panels for our budget and roof.  Thank you for sharing!  You can still keep patting yourself on the back - but don't strain that arm!  It's needed for other projects!

#13 JBMedia

JBMedia

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 3 rep

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Wow that's amazing! I never would of guessed doing something as simple as tinting your window could save a good amount of money on your electric! This will be something that I most definitely am going to have to try out.

#14 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Conservation is always a good first step!  I think light bulbs are another big area, it's amazing how quickly the power can add up, one 100w bulb at a time.

#15 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Every single cent counts because its saving the energy. That's only shows that it can be done. Thumbs up!.

#16 saver

saver

Regular

• Shifter
  • 61 posts 2 rep

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:51 AM

Could you let us know roughly where you live Phil - not so sunny for some of us!

#17 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

I'm in the Port Angeles area, a ferry ride from Vancouver, BC.  I'm basically on the Canadian border.  PA is on the strait, northwest of Seattle.

#18 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

How great is that! Good for you on your achievement. You should be proud. You are more than likelly leading the way as others, hopefully do the same thing. Congrats. Thanks for sharing.

#19 Phil

Phil

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 944 posts 142 rep

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

Thank you.  My goal is to inspire others.  According to CNBC's Fast Money, Solar is now the cheapest alternative energy source.  Many don't realize how far prices have fallen in the last few years.

#20 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Great!! I cannot put up solar where I am.  So many things including living in a historic building in the historic district of town.  They are quite strict with what can and can't be done.  I also rent the house, but if I owned it I still wouldn't be able to do it.  I do save all I can tho, my bill dropped $10 for May.  It was $34 this month and I was quite impressed with myself on that one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users