Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Glass Plates

15 replies to this topic

#1 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

If you frequent any thrift store, you will often see tables and tables of random glass plates. One of my classmates recently gave a presentation on how she recycles people's old glass plates. She makes her own garden flower decorations and then sells them for a pretty good price (which she donates back to the thrift store she works at).

#2 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Those are really neat, it's a good way to repurpose something that someone no longer wants and turn it into art that they could use for years.  Glad your friends is able to upcycle and do some good for the thrift shop at the same time.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

View Postbtatro, on 15 April 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

If you frequent any thrift store, you will often see tables and tables of random glass plates. One of my classmates recently gave a presentation on how she recycles people's old glass plates. She makes her own garden flower decorations and then sells them for a pretty good price (which she donates back to the thrift store she works at). Check these out!

http://www.google.co...9,r:11,s:0,i:92

How cool are those? Super easy to make as well!

If we let the naysayers run our lives, then we buy "sets" of dishes-everything matches, cups, plates.
Boring.
I love thrift store kitchen items.
It adds color and cheerfulness to the table. Bring on the mis-matched! :laugh:
I've found some fabulous items, that in a "boutique" type store, would probably cost close to $100.

#4 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

The link keeps coming up "server not found" for me. We must be overwhelming it. :wink:

That reminds me of an old high school and college pal who's a former photographer with the Seattle PI who does art now - imagine The Cretaceous Gardenfilled with glass flowers made from vintage and antique glass and dinosaur sculptures made from scrap metal. That's Mike Urban's vision and it's awesome. His flowers can't really be made at home without some specific skills, but they're gorgeous to look at, and I love artwork made with reclaimed materials.

The flowers: http://home.comcast....wers/index.html
The dinosaurs: http://home.comcast....aurs/index.html

And Shortpoet - I do the same thing! Goodwill dishes and glasses - nothing matches, homemade mismatched table linens - I think it makes for a colorful, eclectic and cozy table. Thrift stores are my favorite places to shop for all sorts of things.

#5 aspen

aspen

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 220 posts 21 rep

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Nothing like recycling something into art that could be considered mundane. Congratulations to your friend on a great idea.
Often I look at  something that is to be disposed of and ask myself, how much can I make in dollar terms if I did something with it.
I must share by bubble wrap dilemma that was a winner for me a few years back.
I was able to view them here is a pic.

Posted Image

#6 clewand550

clewand550

Curious

• Shifter
  • 36 posts 1 rep

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Wow!  These are pretty awesome!  I love what she did with these.  What a great way to recycle and bring some cash back in to the thrift store.  I love this idea.

#7 MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 3 rep

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Incredibly beauty and artistic what someone can do when it comes to recycle materials like this.

I guess there are many other ways to reuse and recycle glass plates and would be interesting make a list of it.

#8 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

View Postaspen, on 15 April 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Nothing like recycling something into art that could be considered mundane. Congratulations to your friend on a great idea.
Often I look at  something that is to be disposed of and ask myself, how much can I make in dollar terms if I did something with it.
I must share by bubble wrap dilemma that was a winner for me a few years back.
I was able to view them here is a pic.

Posted Image

Do tell us about this bubble wrap dilemna!

#9 meowcow

meowcow

Regular

• Shifter
  • 51 posts 7 rep

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:18 AM

Wow this looks great! Your friend sounds like a very creative person. She did not only innovate a new use for these old plates but she also innovated a new income stream for her store. Thrift stores are really the best, I love going to them and finding great items that are not only unique but also cheap! Thank you for sharing this with us. :)

#10 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 15 April 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

If we let the naysayers run our lives, then we buy "sets" of dishes-everything matches, cups, plates.
Boring.
I love thrift store kitchen items.
It adds color and cheerfulness to the table. Bring on the mis-matched! :laugh:
I've found some fabulous items, that in a "boutique" type store, would probably cost close to $100.

:biggrin: I love mismatched beautiful dishes. Most of mine seem to have a certain them, but they are all gorgeous. You're right, it makes thinks quite cheerful and interesting!

#11 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Plus when you buy it at a thrift store and then you drop it when doing the dishes and it breaks it's not like you've ruined your 'set.'

#12 angeldrb

angeldrb

Curious

• Shifter
  • 34 posts 4 rep

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

I admire your friend's creativity! We no longer buy a set of dishes. All we have are mismatched ones (and some broken ones). Sadly, I can't find a thrift store in my area. Perhaps, I should start one. :D

#13 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Those are really nice decors and its always good to recycle. I have not tried recycling any glass plate as the usual that we threw away are already broken into pieces. Knowing such idea of making it a colorful decor is useful for the future use.

#14 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

View Postangeldrb, on 16 April 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

I admire your friend's creativity! We no longer buy a set of dishes. All we have are mismatched ones (and some broken ones). Sadly, I can't find a thrift store in my area. Perhaps, I should start one. :D

If you live in an area without a thrift store, I'd bet one would go over really, really well. Particularly in this economy. I think they're one of the greenest types of stores around and so fun to shop in, and not just because they're cheap. Start haunting garage sales and ask people if they have mismatched stuff they want to get rid of that you can have (preferably for free). This is something I would do if I lived in an area that wasn't already saturated. :smile:

#15 4leafclover

4leafclover

Regular

• Shifter
  • 73 posts 4 rep

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

She has indeed a brilliant mind! Now you gave me an idea on what to do with glass plates! I haven't found a trip store yet here in our area. :( But I honestly believe that its not on the price that makes an item valuable. It relies on how safe the product is and how the product was made in general.

#16 btatro

btatro

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 104 posts 1 rep

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

View Postangeldrb, on 16 April 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

What type of area do you live in. Honestly, if you have a fair amount of people (even via tourism) you may find that you would do fantastic starting this type of store. You could even do consignment as well as selling the things you yourself have / find. :) I would love to do something like this, but where I live is saturated with second hand stores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users