Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Kreider egg farm-chicken abuse.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Warning. :ohmy:  The video in the link is brutal. View at your own risk.

"An HSUS undercover investigation conducted in February and March of 2012 revealed a range of severe problems, including inhumane treatment of animals, at a Manheim, Pa., egg factory owned by Kreider Farms.

Of the nation's 280 million egg-laying hens, Kreider cages approximately 7 million at its four Pennsylvania facilities.  Pennsylvania is the nation's third largest egg-producing state.

The following problems, among others, were documented by the HSUS investigator.

Birds were severely overcrowded in cages more cramped than the national average;

each hen received only 54–58 square inches of space on which to spend her life.

Injured and dead hens, including mummified bird carcasses, were found inside cages with living hens

laying eggs for human consumption.

Hens were left without water for days when a water source malfunctioned, causing many to die.

Hens' legs, wings, and heads were found trapped in cage wires and automated feeding machinery.
A thick layer of dead flies on the barn floors caused a crunching sound when walking on it."

http://www.humanesoc...rms_041212.html

#2 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

That is too sad, I don't have the heart to watch the video.  That and my daughters are on the couch by me so we don't need them seeing it either.

I wonder how people can be so cruel to animals.  It is not like they don't have the money to take better care of the poor chickens, I am sure they have more then enough funds to do so.

#3 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

Ugh. I can't watch. I've seen that kind of crap before and just can't do it again. Buy local organic eggs. Period. And here's the thing. At my farmers market, a farmer I know and trust sells his for $4 to $6 per dozen, depending on type and size. Compared to agribusiness eggs that's expensive, but when you think of meals per dozen and cost per meal and replacing some meat meals with eggs and your health, it's not really expensive. And it's not just eggs for eating by the dozen either. Think about how many eggs go into prepackaged foods, baked goods, etc you get at the grocery store and in chain restaurants. Places like Kreider is where they come from. Yet another good reason to do your own cooking and baking and to eat at local restaurants and ask where they get their food from.

#4 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

View Postmariaandrea, on 12 April 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Ugh. I can't watch. I've seen that kind of crap before and just can't do it again. Buy local organic eggs. Period. And here's the thing. At my farmers market, a farmer I know and trust sells his for $4 to $6 per dozen, depending on type and size. Compared to agribusiness eggs that's expensive, but when you think of meals per dozen and cost per meal and replacing some meat meals with eggs and your health, it's not really expensive. And it's not just eggs for eating by the dozen either. Think about how many eggs go into prepackaged foods, baked goods, etc you get at the grocery store and in chain restaurants. Places like Kreider is where they come from. Yet another good reason to do your own cooking and baking and to eat at local restaurants and ask where they get their food from.

I would rather pay that to support a local farmer who treats their chickens right then to pay a cheaper price to a company that treats their chickens horrible.  My Mom's friend has chickens and there are many times she gives me eggs.  She is not selling them, but she gives them to us so they don't go to waste.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

I didn't watch it either. But I knew it would be bad.
Local is the key. :wink:

#6 ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 237 posts 21 rep

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

None of us want to watch the video. I'm what you call a "sensitive viewer" and I cry when I see those animal abuse shows on Animal Planet. I don't think I can handle the chicken abuse video. I buy the eggs that say "free range" or "organic" on them and hope for the best. I live in the city and there are no farmers around here to sell me eggs, just a bunch of skyscrapers.

#7 irenen1

irenen1

Curious

• Shifter
  • 20 posts 2 rep

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

If you saw how any of the meat animals are treated you would become vegetarian. Things are done based on the bottom line and greed.

Humans are the caretakers of the earth. The Golden Rule applies to all creatures.

#8 Mouse

Mouse

Curious

• Shifter
  • 13 posts 0 rep

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

The sad thing is that Kreider is just one company. There are many more egg producers all across the world treating their animals with similar disregard. Then, think about every other animal that humans cultivate for profit, e.g, cows, ducks, pigs, sheep, goats etc. Each of these has the excellent, local farmers or small company treating the lifeforms enabling their living with the due respect they deserve. ( I won't go into the killing for food debate, but I'm vegetarian, say no more) As irenen1 says, for each of these animal's producers, there are also the companies that don't give a damn about the well-being of their animals and allow the suffering of their livestock to get their running costs as low as possible.

I agree it's all down to greed. It seems to me the vast majority of the world's problems boil down to that one word. Things won't change unless greed is removed from the equation. Until these people can see the other incentives beyond profit and power, we're screwed, and so are the animals.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Mouse- I have seen in uptick in chicken farmers that advertise no hormones added to feed, vegetarian diets,
free range.
Again, as long as we continue to vote with our wallets, they do listen.
Social media is playing an important role in this too I believe. Bringing the awareness to the masses.

How do I break out of this chicken outfit?
Why did the chicken cross the road?
What came first; the chicken or the egg?

Obviously, we've had them on our minds for a long time. They should be treated with the respect they deserve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users