Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Safeway Pulls Pink Slime Beef

2 replies to this topic

#1 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

My darling (and very patient) husband left a note for me on the dining room table this morning: “Safeway Supermarkets Pulls Pink Slime Beef From All Stores” -- Yayyyyyyyyy!!!

Safeway’s Statement:
“Safeway is committed to providing our customers with the highest-quality products. While the USDA and food industry experts agree that lean finely textured beef is safe and wholesome, recent news stories have caused considerable consumer concern about this product. Safeway will no longer purchase ground beef containing lean finely textured beef.”

ABC Reports:
“Makers of ‘lean finely textured beef’ and the USDA say that it is not an additive and need not be labeled, and is safe to eat. But critics, including former USDA scientists, contend the ammonia-treated ‘pink slime’ -- made from low quality scraps once used for dog food and cooking oil -- is less nutritious than pure ground beef.”

Stores operating under the Safeway banner include: Randalls, Tom Thumb, Vons, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Pavilions and Carrs.

It’s too bad there aren’t any Safeway holdings in our area L

http://www.safeway.c.../Our-Story.page
Today M.B. Skagg's value vision still drives Safeway, though on a dramatically larger scale. There are 1,702 Safeway stores across the US and Canada. These include 312 Vons stores in Southern California and Nevada, 112 Randalls and Tom Thumb stores in Texas, 37 Genuardi's store in the Philadelphia area, as well as 17 Carrs stores in Alaska.

#2 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostHysssss-teria, on 21 March 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

ABC Reports:
“Makers of ‘lean finely textured beef’ and the USDA say that it is not an additive and need not be labeled, and is safe to eat. But critics, including former USDA scientists, contend the ammonia-treated ‘pink slime’ -- made from low quality scraps once used for dog food and cooking oil -- is less nutritious than pure ground beef.”

What they really mean is that if we correctly label it, no one would buy it. We're really all about the money so we're aren't going to tell you what it really is!

Stores operating under the Safeway banner include: Randalls, Tom Thumb, Vons, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Pavilions and Carrs.

Today M.B. Skagg's value vision still drives Safeway, though on a dramatically larger scale. There are 1,702 Safeway stores across the US and Canada. These include 312 Vons stores in Southern California and Nevada, 112 Randalls and Tom Thumb stores in Texas, 37 Genuardi's store in the Philadelphia area, as well as 17 Carrs stores in Alaska.

Crap! I have probably eaten some of this crap! I mostly buy ground turkey, but sometimes I do buy ground beef.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

It's been around for years, but very few knew about it. Ask anyone that has ever worked at a meat
packing plant.
But I understand your passion about this Hyssteria, you have several ongoing topics on it.
(Don't forget to hit the twitter or facebook button on the top of these topics-to help spread the word.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users