Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Breathe easier Tigerlily.

coal pollution toxins

2 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

For Immediate Release: March 20, 2012

Atlanta, GA – "Today, the Georgia Public Service Commission approved the retirement
of two coal-burning units at Georgia Power’s Plant Branch in Putnam County,
and one oil-fired unit at Plant Mitchell near Albany.
Sierra Club welcomes the news of the retirements, which will close some of the dirtiest coal burners
in Georgia.
However, the Sierra Club views Georgia Power's choice to defer a decision on the retirement of additional old and polluting coal burners as saddling ratepayers with unnecessary expenses which
keeps Georgians tied to old, dirty, forms of power.

Today’s decision retires two coal-burning units at Plant Branch, with a total of 569 megawatts of
capacity, and one unit oil-fired unit at Plant Mitchell, with 33 megawatts of capacity.
Georgia Power's over-reliance on coal-fired power has caused it to fall far behind other utilities
that have invested in reliable, clean energy production.
The company’s continued use of coal in lieu of cleaner forms of electricity is costing ratepayers as coal becomes more and more expensive."

http://action.sierra...?em_id=231294.0

#2 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Yep! I got this alert today... was sure wishing it was the one upwind of us that was closing down.

Our electric co-op board also recently voted to suspend any further involvement in the development of those two new coal plants we have been fighting against for 3 years now.

Get this... the rat in charge of the development company hired by our co-op to build the plants basically came out in the local paper saying they "never really intended on building those plants anyways".  Not sure if I am buying that story, or if he is just a sour puss at losing his cash cow. Apparently he claims getting all the air and water permits was an "investment" they plan/ned to sell off to someone else. Personally, with the cancellation of Plant LongLeaf by LS Power and Georgia Power's slated expansion of their Nuclear plants... I don't forsee these permits actually recooping the $12million or more that went into getting them.

This is of course good news. But then on the other foot you have the House (at least I think it is the House... I read the article earlier today) pushing to make it impossible for the EPA to pass any new air pollution restrictions, particularly regarding green house gases.  (BOO!)

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

Another coal mine bites the dust-this time in Hungary. :yahoo:
http://www.nytimes.c...usegasemissions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users