Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Pink Slime” Coming to a School Near You (Or, Where’s the Beef?)

9 replies to this topic

#1 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

We’ve known that “hamburger” is “bad for you” as long as I can remember. But I did NOT know about Pink Slime!!!

If you thought cafeteria food was gross before…

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/seven-million-tons-8220-pink-slime-8221-beef-180500764.html
“McDonald's and Taco Bell have banned it, but now the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is picking up 7 million pounds of beef containing ammonium hydroxide-treated ground connective tissue and meat scraps and serving it up to America's school kids.”

A few interesting excerpts from another article today:
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03/05/030512-news-pink-slime-1-3/
“The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s continued purchase of so-called pink slime for school lunches makes no sense, according to two former microbiologists at the Food Safety Inspection Service.”

“Made by grinding together connective tissue and beef scraps normally destined for dog food and rendering, BPI’s Lean Beef Trimmings are then treated with ammonia hydroxide, a process that kills pathogens such as salmonella and E. coli. The resulting pinkish substance is later blended into traditional ground beef and hamburger patties.”

“We originally called it soylent pink,” Custer told The Daily. “We looked at the product and we objected to it because it used connective tissues instead of muscle. It was simply not nutritionally equivalent [to ground beef]. My main objection was that it was not meat.”

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

You bet! That way they'd have no chance of getting into "snob" college because they're brains are fried.
I know, that sounds like a lunatic screaming "conspiracy" but I wouldn't put it past the likes of corporations
and their minions. (and we all know who their minions are don't we?)

"Although many fast-food chains, including McDonald's,
have said they are pulling the infamous "pink slime" from their hamburgers."
http://vitals.msnbc....ent-lunch-menus

Which leads me to the question-
how many years have mcbarf's been "allowing" the pink slime into their burgers? OMG

And from this ABC news article, it's in 70% of all ground beef sold in supermarkets.
"ABC News has learned the woman who made the decision to OK the mix is a former undersecretary
of agriculture, Joann Smith.
It was a call that led to hundreds of millions of dollars for Beef Products Inc.,
the makers of pink slime.
When Smith stepped down from the USDA in 1993, BPI’s principal major supplier appointed her to its board of directors, where she made at least $1.2 million over 17 years."
http://abcnews.go.co...ins-pink-slime/

$$$$$$$$$$ is ruining everything it seems.

(Edit-text/link added.)

#3 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

It's getting to the stage where you can't trust anything or anyone when it comes to food. The fact that they can put ammonia into food and there is no requirement to say they're doing it is frankly wrong. We have a right to know what we're eating - and what our children are being fed.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostSandra Piddock, on 12 March 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

It's getting to the stage where you can't trust anything or anyone when it comes to food. The fact that they can put ammonia into food and there is no requirement to say they're doing it is frankly wrong. We have a right to know what we're eating - and what our children are being fed.
As much as we can-grow our own or shop from local farmers.
I see very few people reading labels in stores, even with all the dangers and recalls but it's essential.

#5 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

This is absolutely disgusting. OMG! I can see vegetarianism in my future. This explain how Taco Bell and McD can be so cheap. I never eat at a place if it doesn't smell like real food is being cooked.

I do read food labels and it's a very interesting read. At the stores I shop at, there are many people who do the same. I didn't realize how pervasive high fructose corn syrup was unitl I started reading labels.

#6 CryoMage

CryoMage

Curious

• Shifter
  • 16 posts 2 rep

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

Pink slime is one of the few things in this world that makes me puke. When I caught my nephews eating McNuggets I prepared them live in front of them, in all its bone-grinding skin and fat connecting glory.  When I started squeezing the slime out, he almost gagged, and swore to never ever eat things like McCancer again.
That is a little trick I learned from Jaime Oliver.

#7 iebo

iebo

Curious

• Shifter
  • 43 posts 1 rep

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

It's used in about 70% of ground beef in the US.
That's the scariest part. It means I've probably eaten it without knowing about it.

View PostHardison, on 12 March 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

This is absolutely disgusting. OMG! I can see vegetarianism in my future. This explain how Taco Bell and McD can be so cheap. I never eat at a place if it doesn't smell like real food is being cooked.

If you read the article it actually says Taco Bell and McDonald's have banned it in their products. It looks like they have more sense than the government on this one.

#8 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

View Postiebo, on 14 March 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

If you read the article it actually says Taco Bell and McDonald's have banned it in their products. It looks like they have more sense than the government on this one.

The article doesn't state when they stop us this stuff. Still, it makes me wonder about Burger King, Carl's Jr, Wendy's, etc.

#9 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

They showed the chicken version of pink slime in the first season of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. There was an episode where he showed a bunch of kids how chicken nuggets were made from pink slime. He even made up a batch in front of them. They thought it was gross, but in the end most of them said they would still eat the nuggets because they're so good. That's what we're fighting against.

I saw an article yesterday on a local news site that interviewed a high-up muckety muck who buys/plans food for Washington State schools who said the stuff has never been purchased here and the supplier we use doesn't even sell it. It would be interesting to know exactly what states and school districts use it. A really targeted campaign against it might be more effective. No demand dries up supply...

#10 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

I told my girls about this and they said they don't want to eat the beef at school anymore.  They get more turkey and chicken then anything else tho.  My older daughter said the beef in school looks weird anyway and she didn't eat it.  She said that it looks darker tho.  
It is bad when McDonald's stops using something and the government won't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users