Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Make your own cleaning supplies

39 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

You can make effective, non toxic cleaning products whenever you need them. All you need are a few simple ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, lemon, and soap. Making your own cleaning products saves money, time, and packaging,not to mention your indoor air quality.

#2 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have seen some of these ideas.  I use soap and water more often on my floor then chemicals.  I try to use baking soda and vinegar in my drains instead of using the harsh chemicals in the drain.  Dish soap can do wonders on cleaning many different things.  I also recently heard that if I add vinegar to the soap and water that it will get my floors even cleaner.  I am trying it today!
I think the chemicals have gotten way out of hand.  There is a cleaning chemical for everything now and you are right, we don't need to use them all!

#3 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

View Postdconklin, on 06 March 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

I have seen some of these ideas.  I use soap and water more often on my floor then chemicals.  I try to use baking soda and vinegar in my drains instead of using the harsh chemicals in the drain.  Dish soap can do wonders on cleaning many different things.  I also recently heard that if I add vinegar to the soap and water that it will get my floors even cleaner.  I am trying it today!
I think the chemicals have gotten way out of hand.  There is a cleaning chemical for everything now and you are right, we don't need to use them all!

I feel very strongly about this as well! There is no need to be using all of these chemicals in our home. Also, the containers these products are sold in add to the waste that is not easily degradeable. We have to wake up and realize that we cannot continue to live this way and not have more severe consequences to the earth.

#4 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostSarah C., on 06 March 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

I feel very strongly about this as well! There is no need to be using all of these chemicals in our home. Also, the containers these products are sold in add to the waste that is not easily degradeable. We have to wake up and realize that we cannot continue to live this way and not have more severe consequences to the earth.
They are not good for the planet or the us really.  I will never forget the time I bought Tilex many years ago.  I sprayed down the bathtub and shower as it said you could use it on.  I ended up with the worst headache and started feeling dizzy, it was horrible.  So imagine what this is doing to the planet with a lot of households using it!
I have very few chemicals in my house for cleaning.  One thing I wish I could replace is my oven cleaner but I have not found a combination of anything that cleans my oven and burners quite like it.  Do you have any suggestions for oven cleaners? I know they are horrible too.

#5 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

I think that it is a good idea to do ths. that way you know what you are breathing in your house. Harsh chemicals cannot be good for you, especially if you have little chidren. Even the pets can be affected.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

View Postdconklin, on 06 March 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Do you have any suggestions for oven cleaners? I know they are horrible too.
If you have build up from burned on food, place a wet cloth/rag on the area for 15-20 minutes. Scrape
as much of it off as you can with a spatula. Re-soak.
Repeat scraping if necessary, then sprinkle on some baking soda.

It will take some elbow grease to get the remaining stuff off, but it beats having our heads stuck in an oven
breathing chemical fumes. (If you use a metal scouring pad to ease the clean-up process, always
store in a plastic bag. That way, the pad won't rust and can be reused again.)

For future prevention, use aluminum foil (it can be recycled later) on the bottom, and shelves to catch drips.
(And for microwaves, place a container of water inside, "cook" for a minute or so to steam up the inside. Food
will come off easily if it's wet verses dried on foods. When finished, microwave a small amount of vinegar
for 40 seconds or so to remove any remaining food odors.)
Baking soda is also a good scrubber instead of ajax or comet, and no chemicals.
:wink:

#7 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thank you Shortpoet.  My biggest problem really is the top of the stove (I usually use oven cleaner on that too.)  It is a gas stove and things get burned onto the surface way too easy! My oven does't get done too often, I try to be real careful there.  I have a hard time bending and flexing to get into the oven, so I take extra caution to keep that clean :) I will try the soaking and baking soda under the burners.

#8 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

View Postdconklin, on 06 March 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

I just wanted to add that vinegar is not recommended on floors with wax.  I don't have a wax coat on the floors I am using it on.  I am using it on my kitchen and bathroom floors.  Vinegar will remove the wax off of a floor that has a wax coat.  I am new to using it myself, but have been told by a couple people that you don't use it with wax.  
Vinegar is also good at removing soap scum which is why I use that and baking soda in my drains.  Pour some baking soda in the drain immediately followed by some vinegar.  It will fizz a bit.  After about 15 minutes or so you can chase this down with boiling hot water.

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Postdconklin, on 07 March 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Thank you Shortpoet.  My biggest problem really is the top of the stove (I usually use oven cleaner on that too.)  It is a gas stove and things get burned onto the surface way too easy! My oven doesn't get done too often, I try to be real careful there.  I have a hard time bending and flexing to get into the oven, so I take extra caution to keep that clean :) I will try the soaking and baking soda under the burners.
You're welcome. :biggrin:
For the burners, you can do what I do when my hands get bad; take all the various parts down to the self
service car wash. Set it to the "degreaser" setting, prop your stove parts against the wall or in a crate so they don't
fly everywhere, and blast them with that soapy, hot water. Once every few months-(we don't want to waste too much
water) :tongue:
You can also bring along anything else that is hard to clean; dish rack strainers for instance,
or hard to clean pots/pans, bar b q grates, etc.

(Edit-text added)

#10 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

I would suggest to not let things harden on the stove. Clean any spills on the stove immediately with a wash cloth and hot soapy water. This will cut down the amount of cleaner you will need to use.

#11 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

I agree that cleaning regularly can help us avoid the need for stronger chemicals to clean it later. It can still be easily wiped out by simple rag and water or even with soap if cleaned immediately that let it stay longer.
I also try using vinegar as a cleaning aid in the kitchen. Calamansi or lemon can be used to remove stains on clothes.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

View PostSarah C., on 07 March 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

I would suggest to not let things harden on the stove. Clean any spills on the stove immediately with a wash cloth and hot soapy water. This will cut down the amount of cleaner you will need to use.
I agree. Prevention is the best, but sometimes foods get baked on in the oven and for me, soaking those burned
on globs is more eco-friendly than oven cleaner. :smile: (And let's be honest, when friends/family are over
for lunch or dinner, immediate clean up is not always an option.) :tongue:

#13 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostSarah C., on 07 March 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

I try not to let them get too bad, but the big problem is that it is a gas stove.  If I have it set to a higher heat setting and something spills, the flame pretty much burns it on immediately.  One disadvantage to a gas stove I guess :( Even when I clean it after I am done cooking, it is stuck on there too bad for soap and water on a scrubber.  I actually have stuff on there that never came off no matter what I use, it has been there for over a year.

#14 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 07 March 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

You're welcome. Posted Image
For the burners, you can do what I do when my hands get bad; take all the various parts down to the self
service car wash. Set it to the "degreaser" setting, prop your stove parts against the wall or in a crate so they don't
fly everywhere, and blast them with that soapy, hot water. Once every few months-(we don't want to waste too much
water) Posted Image
You can also bring along anything else that is hard to clean; dish rack strainers for instance,
or hard to clean pots/pans, bar b q grates, etc.

(Edit-text added)

It is actually the stove under the burners.  It is gas and I have my grate burners that go directly over the flame.  I don't have anything under to catch the spills, like I did when I had my electric stove.  If I could I would bring my stove to the car wash, but that won't work :smile:  I have yet to find anything to remove some of the burnt on stuff.  I love cooking with gas, but this is a big disadvantage.  My oven is usually spotless (and I use it very often) as it is much easier to prevent messes in.

If the plates to put under the burner grates fit on my stove, I would use them and if need be replace them when they were no easy to clean anymore.

#15 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Maybe it's time for a new stove! lol

#16 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostSarah C., on 08 March 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Oh no! That's what the 1% say when their car ashtrays are full-buy a new car.
Consumption-bah humbug.

#17 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

I too use vinegar and baking soda for a lot of my cleaning needs.  For other stuff I purchase my cleaning products from melaleuca.  I love it because they send you concentrates and you add water too it.  It's chemical free, non-toxic and much more environmentally friendly.  1 16 oz package of the bathtub cleaner makes like 6 full size squirt bottles of the cleaner.  Then the concentrate also comes in a plastic that is recyclable.  

The one thing I have a hard time finding a good substittue for is the toilet bowl cleaner.  Short of cleaning the toilets everyday I haven't found anything that removes that 'scum line' that can form.

What do you guys use for stuff that needs to be disinfected?

#18 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostSarah C., on 08 March 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

It does work well still and not a very old model.  I live in a house but it is an apartment rental so the stove is not technically mine.  I think that is another part of the problem is the person who used the stove before I moved in.  There were a couple spots that have been there since I moved here.

#19 Alli

Alli

Regular

• Shifter
  • 98 posts 8 rep

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Making your own cleaning supplies is a great way to make a difference right in your own home!
I also like that it is safer for kids and pets, too- I have a toddler, so I'm very concerned about what things are around him and don't want him exposed to all the chemicals in commercial cleaners.

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

View PostMakingCents, on 09 March 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

The one thing I have a hard time finding a good substittue for is the toilet bowl cleaner.
Short of cleaning the toilets everyday I haven't found anything that removes that 'scum line' that can form.

What do you guys use for stuff that needs to be disinfected?
Every 10-12 days (or so, depending on need) shut the water to the commode off-flush toilet.
Wearing gloves, use a pumice stone to scrap away hard water buildup (and the bacteria that attaches
itself to the mix.)
Pumice stones can be found in the foot care products area of the store. (Store the stone somewhere
so some one else in the home doesn't use it on their feet.) Ewwwww.

When finished, add a 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 1/4 cup of vinegar-let it bubble-sit for 15 minutes
or so before turning the commode water back on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users