Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Let’s Share Green Pest Control Tips

28 replies to this topic

#1 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

We share our world with lots of pests of all sorts, and as soon as the weather warms up a bit we’ll be seeing lots more of them. Whether you have ants in your kitchen, aphids on your roses, or the neighbor’s dog or cat is doing its business in your petunias -- there’s probably a non-toxic answer for your problem!

I’ll start us off with this one …

We get those pesky little fruit flies all over the place for a month or two each summer. For one reason, we don’t have A/C so the doors and windows are open and those things come right through the screens. Second, we have all sorts of attractants here. Bananas and apples on the kitchen counter, empty soda and beer cans in the recycle bin, dropped fruit in the macaw cage. So we get fruit flies.

Make your own traps. Pour about 1/8 inch of fruit juice, beer or apple cider vinegar into an empty plastic cup. Add a drop of liquid dish soap (very important) and swirl around to mix. Drop a small scrap of very sweet fruit such as a piece of cantaloupe or half a grape into the liquid. Make sure that the liquid doesn’t cover the fruit entirely.

Cover the top of the cup completely with clear tape. Leave a ¼ to ½ inch opening in the middle of the taped area. Set the trap in your gnat area. They will be attracted to the fermenting fruit, enter the trap through the tiny opening and drown in the liquid below.

#2 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't know about fruit flies, but I always have a catnip plant to repell mosquitoes in the summer.  Researching the internet, don't remember the sites, I have learned that catnip, basil, rosemary, and mints can repell most bugs and mice.  It is very interesting to learn from the internet and try these things.  I have done the catnip for several years now and have not seen a mosquito.

#3 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

I make those fruit fly traps with whatever is on hand - last time I used some red wine that had gone bad, they loved it. I grow a lot of different kinds of herbs that keep a lot of pests away, plus I'm in an apartment 3 floors up so haven't had to worry about ants... I plant marigolds in containers by my tomatoes on the balcony to keep some of the common pests away - I'll be looking more into companion planting this year as I plan my balcony container gardening.

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

Mint and garlic are good ones to plant between veggie rows.
I've had a fair amount of success with a combo of dish washing soap, cheap hot sauce (or red pepper flakes)
and wait for it.........
a small amount of urine put into the mix.
Store it in a spray bottle for outside plants.
For non chemical treatment of weeds, simply pour boiling water on them.

I had grasshoppers the size of suv's (well, almost) in 2010 and nothing helped getting rid of them.
Regular pepper is good too, sprinkled around the base of flowers/bushes that may get buggy, but it's pricey.

#5 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

That fruit fly trap is really useful. We're just coming into the soft fruit season here, and although the fruit is ridiculously cheap, I think the fruit flies end up with more of it than we do, so I'll definitely try that.

We make our own wasp traps from 2 litre soda bottles. When I say 'we,' I mean my husband does. Make a cut about 4 - 5 inches from the base of the bottle, so you have a pot, then cut off the top of the bottle to make the inside of the trap. Invert it in the base, so the narrow opening of the bottle is at least one inch above the base. Then make two holes in the sides, so you can make a handle with string or ribbon. The easiest way to do this is to heat the tip if a metal knitting needle or something similar, and bore through the two thicknesses of plastic.

Now bait the trap with fruit juice, beer or sweet wine, and hang the traps in the trees and shrubs in the garden. The wasps will go down the funnel for the bait, but they won't be able to get out again, so they'll drown. If you feel guilty about this, bait the trap with booze, then at least they'll die happy!

#6 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostSandra Piddock, on 03 March 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

That fruit fly trap is really useful. We're just coming into the soft fruit season here, and although the fruit is ridiculously cheap, I think the fruit flies end up with more of it than we do, so I'll definitely try that.

We make our own wasp traps from 2 litre soda bottles. When I say 'we,' I mean my husband does. Make a cut about 4 - 5 inches from the base of the bottle, so you have a pot, then cut off the top of the bottle to make the inside of the trap. Invert it in the base, so the narrow opening of the bottle is at least one inch above the base. Then make two holes in the sides, so you can make a handle with string or ribbon. The easiest way to do this is to heat the tip if a metal knitting needle or something similar, and bore through the two thicknesses of plastic.

Now bait the trap with fruit juice, beer or sweet wine, and hang the traps in the trees and shrubs in the garden. The wasps will go down the funnel for the bait, but they won't be able to get out again, so they'll drown. If you feel guilty about this, bait the trap with booze, then at least they'll die happy!

Oh now that's good to know. I'll be setting out a homemade hummingbird feeder soon that's sure to attract wasps and I wasn't sure what to do about that. Luckily it will take constant monitoring and I can bring it in daily since it's just out on my balcony about 5 feet away from where I'm sitting, but I did want a better alternative. I would think after a few day, the others would learn to stay away, so maybe I wouldn't have to feel guilty about killing them. ;)

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

Shallow saucers of beer for eliminating slugs.

#8 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

These are all such excellent tips!

I wrote for an online gardening publication for a couple of years, and used a lot of this stuff in my articles because I advocated green methods as often as possible.

I love the wasp trap, Sandra! I found that some wasp and hornet species are attracted to rotting meat because they’re looking to lay their eggs in it. So if sweet liquid isn’t completely ridding you of your stingers, try dropping a piece of rotting meat into the trap with it.

#9 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

I live in Florida, so we have an abundance of roaches! A natural way to get rid of these pesky creatures is to use boric acid. ONLY put it where Children and Pets cannot get to it. Sprinkle it in the areas you have seen roaches. The roaches will walk through it, and it will cause them to dry up and die.

#10 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostSarah C., on 06 March 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

I live in Florida, so we have an abundance of roaches! A natural way to get rid of these pesky creatures is to use boric acid. ONLY put it where Children and Pets cannot get to it. Sprinkle it in the areas you have seen roaches. The roaches will walk through it, and it will cause them to dry up and die.

Sarah, I was born and lived my first 43 years in the Great State of Florida so I know exactly what you’re talking about!

I owned a small pest control franchise there for a couple of years, and learned this very effective tip for using your boric acid.

You probably already know that for every roach you see, there are 100 or more that you do NOT see. Where do you think they are? Why, they’re living in your walls !!! And how do they get in there? Via your wall plates. Believe it or not, a roach can flatten itself to squeeze into any crack that you can slip a credit card under.

Do this for one wall plate on each wall in every room of your home. If it’s a very long wall, treat two plates. Repeat every three months.

Remove the wall plate with a screwdriver. Use a PLASTIC spoon to CAREFULLY dump about ½ teaspoon of boric acid in the little metal box. Try not to touch anything. Replace the wall plate.

You’ll kill LOTS more of the li’l buggers a lot quicker that way.

#11 Jessi

Jessi

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

We do the bit with apple cider vinegar and dish soap. We don't even add the piece of fruit either....just put it in a shallow dish and they try to land. I'm assuming because it's apple cider specifically, they're still attracted to the sweetness, even though vinegar itself doesn't smell sweet really or have any fruit sticking out.

#12 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostJessi, on 07 March 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

We do the bit with apple cider vinegar and dish soap. We don't even add the piece of fruit either....just put it in a shallow dish and they try to land. I'm assuming because it's apple cider specifically, they're still attracted to the sweetness, even though vinegar itself doesn't smell sweet really or have any fruit sticking out.

Good point, Jessi.

It’s actually the odor of the fermenting process that attracts them, which is why even beer works. The females will go to the fermenting product to lay their eggs. They hang around to feed after that, and won’t willingly leave the eggs. The males are attracted to dinner, too, as well as to the females hanging out. However, males will leave when their business has concluded.

I just found that the fruit sticking out seems to attract more of them a little faster.

Oh, and by the way -- you put the drop of soap into the liquid to break the surface tension. If you don’t, those li’l stinkers can simply walk across the top of it!

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostHysssss-teria, on 07 March 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

If you don’t, those li’l stinkers can simply walk across the top of it!

So that's how santorum gets around.
(Sorry, off topic, but I couldn't help myself.) :laugh:

#14 Sarah C.

Sarah C.

Regular

• Shifter
  • 87 posts 8 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostHysssss-teria, on 07 March 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Sarah, I was born and lived my first 43 years in the Great State of Florida so I know exactly what you’re talking about!

I owned a small pest control franchise there for a couple of years, and learned this very effective tip for using your boric acid.

You probably already know that for every roach you see, there are 100 or more that you do NOT see. Where do you think they are? Why, they’re living in your walls !!! And how do they get in there? Via your wall plates. Believe it or not, a roach can flatten itself to squeeze into any crack that you can slip a credit card under.

Do this for one wall plate on each wall in every room of your home. If it’s a very long wall, treat two plates. Repeat every three months.

Remove the wall plate with a screwdriver. Use a PLASTIC spoon to CAREFULLY dump about ½ teaspoon of boric acid in the little metal box. Try not to touch anything. Replace the wall plate.

You’ll kill LOTS more of the li’l buggers a lot quicker that way.

EEk!!! lol In my walls!!! lol - Okay - I want to be sure here, we are talking about the light switches or electrical outlet plates. Right?

#15 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostSarah C., on 07 March 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

EEk!!! lol In my walls!!! lol - Okay - I want to be sure here, we are talking about the light switches or electrical outlet plates. Right?

Yep, in the walls!!!

You can treat either or both. Take your pick -- they’re both pretty much the same. Roaches run through each. The idea is to get the bait where roaches have to run through it when they scramble back to home base behind the walls..

If you’re as manic as I am, I just pull them ALL and bait them.

Hey, ShortPoet -- re your OT:  

*** Snork***

#16 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Yes hit the roaches one by one and crush the eggs. Posted Image
Making traps are good alternative than buying poisons for them specially if there are kids in the household.
I try to always check corners or where ever some pest might enjoy multiplying to get rid of them early.

#17 Jessi

Jessi

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostHysssss-teria, on 07 March 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

It’s actually the odor of the fermenting process that attracts them, which is why even beer works.
Oooo, I didn't know that. Maybe I'll try that then.

Oh, and by the way -- you put the drop of soap into the liquid to break the surface tension. If you don’t, those li’l stinkers can simply walk across the top of it!

I actually found this out the hard way. The first couple times I tried it, I didn't add the soap, thinking it was to kill them...and why, I could just trap them and do it myself instead of them flying around from the soap. Obviously that didn't work out so well, so now I always add a couple drops of soap.

#18 rbaker_59

rbaker_59

Regular

• Shifter
  • 86 posts 3 rep

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

I read an article that cockroaches can not handle sugar.  It is suppose to explode the stomach and kill them.  Has anyone else heard of this?  I thought the sugar would attract them more and feed them, haven't heard of this before.

#19 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

View Postrbaker_59, on 09 March 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

I read an article that cockroaches can not handle sugar.  It is suppose to explode the stomach and kill them.  Has anyone else heard of this?  I thought the sugar would attract them more and feed them, haven't heard of this before.

No, I’ve never heard of such a thing. Every roach I ever chased away from sugar looked pretty doggone healthy and happy to me!

By the way … (Cockroach Trivia Time)

Did you know … that a roach can live for a month with nothing to eat other than the glue on the back of a single postage stamp?

#20 Jessi

Jessi

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

View Postrbaker_59, on 09 March 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Close!

It's actually part of an old standby remedy to get rid of cockroaches. You mix sugar -and- baking soda together. Leave it in little milk jug caps or something in various places. The sugar will attract them to eat it, and then the idea is that they'll go get a drink or something, and the baking soda/sugar mixture ends up creating a gas inside them. It won't necessarily cause them to "explode," but it does kill them because they can't handle the gas/pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users