Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Acidic oceans.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

"The world's oceans are turning acidic at what could be the
fastest pace of any time in the past 300 million years, :huh:
even more rapidly than during a monster emission of planet-warming carbon 56 million years ago, scientists said on Thursday.

Oceans get more acidic when more carbon gets into the atmosphere.

Human activities, including the burning of fossil fuels, have increased the level of atmospheric
carbon to 392 parts per million from about 280 parts per million at the start of the industrial revolution. Carbon dioxide is one of several heat-trapping gases that contribute to global warming.

The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change projects world temperatures could rise
by 3.2 to 7 degrees F this century."
(from a news sourse on the web)

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

It really a shame that more people just don/t understand how important this issue is,  If the air was getting more acidic people would pay attention. but the oceans. Don’t get me wrong, lots of environmental groups have been talking about this.  The National Resource Defense Council has the video acid test out.  I wish everyone would watch it.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Charlie tuna is :angry: :vava:

#4 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

When half or more of the fish species we regularly eat are gone and the price for the remaining fish reaches $20 a pound minimum, then people will notice. Of course, by then it'll be too late.

#5 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

The problem is, acidic oceans do not directly affect people like, for example, air pollution, so they think that because nothing bad is happening to them, it doesn't matter. Of course, what is happening is that marine life is being killed off. As Mariaandrea says, when it does start to affect people, by hitting them directly in the pockets, it will be too late.

#6 greenking

greenking

Regular

• Shifter
  • 60 posts 2 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

This is so sad =(

#7 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

This issue is so important because it ruins a major food source if anything goes wrong with our oceans. It totally ruins the ecosystem.

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

There may be a correlation between acidic oceans and toxic algae blooms. Algae blooms are becoming
very problematic, and are killing hundreds of species in the oceans.

#9 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

For another take on ocean resources check out the blog post I did on the story of sushi. There's a great video I found on NPR about the fish used in sushi and how unsustainable a lot of it is.

http://www.altenergy...y-of-sushi-r476

#10 hunysukle

hunysukle

Curious

• Shifter
  • 42 posts 1 rep

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

That is very sad information. Humans are literally ruining the planet and the oceans will never return to normal untill we are extinct.

#11 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

People need to understand that any negative thing you do to the environment today, will affect your life tomorrow and every will suffer for it. I don't know what it will take to make the man understand that every thing is connected to each other in this world. Ignorant is the cause of all these calamities w

#12 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

I think for every fossil fuel that we burn, and for every kW of electricity that we use, we should plant a tree. Trees are the ones who can reduce the carbon dioxide in the air. The problem is, people don't see the importance of saving forests and leaving great trees alone. Residential lots are increasing. More trees are cut. The balance is being disturbed. Humans!! Do some planting now!

#13 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

View Postkatdolores, on 05 April 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

I think for every fossil fuel that we burn, and for every kW of electricity that we use, we should plant a tree......

Trees are a good idea, but not enough.
As a practical matter we can't plant enough trees to offset our fossil fuel use.

Try a carbon calculator like the one here:  http://www.carbonify...-calculator.htm
How many trees do you get?
Now imagine trying to plant enough trees to offset the US's use of fossil fuels.

Can't just plant them, got to keep them growing.  If the tree dies and decays or burns, then the CO2 that was sequestered in the tree's biomass goes right back into the atmosphere.

#14 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

View Poststill learning, on 05 April 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

Trees are a good idea, but not enough.

But we could at least try, right? Maybe I have understated the fossil fuel consumption. :) I'm not saying that it is the total package to save the environment.

#15 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Oh, and I used the calculator.. The results were a bit scary. This is why we have to do every possible thing that we can to save the environment, even if it isn't enough......yet. :)

#16 SheforACT

SheforACT

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:04 PM

This is a serious problem that need an immediate action or solution.

#17 eds

eds

Shifted

• Global Moderator
  • 3,981 posts 263 rep

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

What action or solution can we do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users