Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

More reasons to #boycott #KFC.

animal cruelty forest destruction

45 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

Along with the fact that kfc (not capitalized-no respect) uses vendors that have been
repeatedly busted for animal cruelty at their chicken farms, they also use
unsustainable practices for their paper/cardboard products.
(Warning. Do not view the video if you are an animal lover-extreme cruelty)
http://www.mercyfora...s.org/hatchery/

(This article of text includes a video too, but you can ignore it if you want-shows
more cruelty.)
http://www.treehugge...aby-chicks.html

"KFC’s packaging is directly contributing to the destruction of our Southern forests.
While other leading fast food companies are working hard to adopt sustainable packaging policies,
KFC continues to make its famous buckets from trees that were “harvested” from
endangered forests
across the South, including The Green Swamp – a unique, irreplaceable forest in Brunswick County, North Carolina."
http://www.kentuckyfriedforests.org/

http://www.treehugge...estruction.html

And this is not to say that all fast food or restraurants are off the hook. Many use the same
cruel vendors.
Factory farmed eggs are just as bad, if not worse.
http://www.eggindustry.com/
http://food.thefunti...-by-aleutia.jpg

#2 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

As far as I'm concerned, kfc (no capitals, even from a grammar perfectionist, because as you say, they don't deserve respect) regularly and habitually commit crimes against the taste buds. Chicken is so versatile, and it can be served up in so many delicious ways. Not only do kfc not do this - the mission statement seems to be smother it in salt and fat and charge a fortune for it - they do not consider the environment when they are packaging their inedible rubbish. Let's just not buy it.

#3 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Here's my shameful secret - I love KFC original recipe chicken. And their gravy.
Here's what I'm proud of - I haven't eaten it in about 10 years.

That food will kill you. Literally. And then when Komen teamed up with them and made pink buckets it just turned my stomach. So, they were pink environmentally unfriendly buckets full of unhealthy food that contributes to heart disease and obesity, but a tiny fraction of the money spent was given to help women with breast cancer... great... :unsure:

#4 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

I don't eat from any fast food anymore ever since I realized I gained weight from always visiting these damn food chains. I am proud to say that I haven't gone in 9 months already (still not as noble as mariaandrea LOL), but I believe I really did great effort in not going to them anymore, because my workplace is just beside the Mall (with all of the fast food chains in it) and most of my workmates would eat there. I just tell them that I want to eat at another place or I am not hungry at all.

Food chains who are not concerned with their customers' health should not be given respect.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

View Postkatdolores, on 06 April 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Food chains who are not concerned with their customers' health should not be given respect.
Not to mention the chickens. :sad:

#6 katdolores

katdolores

Curious

• Shifter
  • 37 posts 1 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 06 April 2012 - 02:58 AM, said:

Not to mention the chickens. :sad:

Correct!

Whenever I see chicken from KFC I think about the overweight chickens being sold in marketplaces. I've seen these ridiculously fat chickens and the sellers say that they sometimes supply these chickens to fast food chains  and restaurants. I prefer the native chicken, the ones that you can take care of in your own backyard. They look and ARE healthier.

How true is it that they inject estrogen in chickens in order for them to grow bigger and fatter?

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

View Postkatdolores, on 06 April 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

Correct!

Whenever I see chicken from KFC I think about the overweight chickens being sold in marketplaces. I've seen these ridiculously fat chickens and the sellers say that they sometimes supply these chickens to fast food chains  and restaurants. I prefer the native chicken, the ones that you can take care of in your own backyard. They look and ARE healthier.

How true is it that they inject estrogen in chickens in order for them to grow bigger and fatter?
I don't know about that specifically, but they do inject them with various antibiotics, and other chemicals.
And it's not just the chemicals.
It's the "factory farmed" system. Stacks of chickens in cages piled up high, with no room to move, and being
shat on from the birds above. That's why they're pumped full of antibiotics.
http://www.idausa.or...yfarmfacts.html
http://www.naturalnews.com/024756.html

#8 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

I really do not like their food and I didn't before reading this.  I do love Popeyes (tho I don't eat out often at all), but that is the only fried chicken chain I like.

I didn't realize exactly how bad kfc was as a company.  Makes me glad that I never liked their food!

#9 Usty

Usty

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

I stopped eating chicken because I got sick after eating kfc one time. I won't even eat my mother's fried chicken. I grew up loving her fried chicken, too. kfc has put some sort of weird rift between me and my mom's cooking skills. :sad:

Screw that fast food joint!

#10 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostUsty, on 06 April 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

I stopped eating chicken because I got sick after eating kfc one time. I won't even eat my mother's fried chicken. I grew up loving her fried chicken, too. kfc has put some sort of weird rift between me and my mom's cooking skills. :sad:

Screw that fast food joint!

It really was just kfc I am sure.  Maybe you will try Mom's chicken again later down the road.  

I have heard some nasty stories about them.  One of my friends went to eat the chicken that was crispy on the outside.  When they bit into it, it was raw inside.  I heard of somebody else finding a part of the chicken in their food that shouldn't have been (I can't remember if it was a chicken head or foot.)  Horrifying.

#11 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 06 April 2012 - 03:27 AM, said:

I don't know about that specifically, but they do inject them with various antibiotics, and other chemicals.

Just to clarify... the USDA does allow the use of steroids, hormones, and antibiotics to increase the growth rate in cattle. However, the use of all of these things is not allowed by the USDA in chickens.  

So... every single brand of chicken on the market in the US is able to claim their product is free of added hormones and antibiotics, unless they are violating US food law.   :wink:

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

I wouldn't trust any of the chicken places, popeyes or whoever. They all use factory farmed, abused animals.
None of them are to be trusted.

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

kfc is not doing this-but it is related to chickens.
Poor babies.
Makes me sick. :sick:
http://www.nytimes.c...qoUA14T78zAao2Q

#14 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

I seldom dine out since I prefer home cooked meals and fast foods here are costly compared on preparing foods on your own. Knowing that kfc is not earth friendly and not animal friendly at all, it just just give me more reasons to prefer eating at home. I had tried their chicken and some foods before and better to prefer some other foods than those foods from them.

#15 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

I didn't realize that chicks were still dyed and that people still actually give dyed chicks to their kids for Easter. I guess if there's something that's stupid and inhumane there are always people around to do it. :angry:

#16 Hardison

Hardison

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 446 posts 37 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 06 April 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

kfc is not doing this-but it is related to chickens.
Poor babies.
Makes me sick. :sick:
http://www.nytimes.c...qoUA14T78zAao2Q

Wow! I have never heard of dying chicks before today.  The worst part is that the chicks are just abandoned. Chicks are a living breathing animal and not a toy. Somtimes, it really good to be aware that these are happening and other times, it just tragic to know what human beings are capable of doing.

There are a lot of urban legends associated wth kfc. I do admit that I love their mash potatoes, but it's been years since I've step foot in the store to buy them.

#17 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostHardison, on 07 April 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

There are a lot of urban legends associated wth kfc. I do admit that I love their mash potatoes, but it's been years since I've step foot in the store to buy them.
I know.
I used to love their cole slaw, but I won't give them a penny now.
Same thing with popeyes red beans and rice. It's off my list, because of the factory farmed birds they
allow to be brutalized.

#18 tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hear, hear! The only way I'd ever set foot in such establishments is if I was really dying to use their bathroom! They are quite popular down here and have been for as long as I can remember. I think they used lots of MSG in their "herbs and spices" to make the stuff really addictive. Have you seen the recipe for it? Our Peter Russell-Clarke (ex-TV chef, popular in the 1980's down here) cracked it years ago:

http://aca.ninemsn.c...aspx?id=1066183

Take it with a pinch of salt, though; the guy was quite the alcoholic when he "cracked the code", so his taste buds, etc, clearly weren't "all there" at the time.

For every female chicken that makes it to KFC, there are all those male chicks that get suffocated in a garbage bag as soon as they're old enough to determine their sex, just for being male. How can the government continue to subsidize such a wasteful and inefficient industry?

#19 tigerlily78

tigerlily78

Activist

• Global Moderator
  • 250 posts 71 rep

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

Well... here's a new wrinkle. New York Times reported on an study which analyzed samples of chicken feather meal and turned up a whole lot of interesting (troubling) content... some contained traces of antihistamines and antidepressants, and some samples included those banned antibiotics which are no longer supposed to be used in chicken production in the US. The study indicates that these substances are likely part of the proprietary food blends that major food companies distribute, and that many farmers are using this food without knowledge of the added ingredients.

http://www.nytimes.c...dit_th_20120405

#20 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

See? I'm right in my paranoia! Don't trust corporations. <_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users