Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Arsenic in rice.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Ok, so a few days back, I posted links about the story of lead in over 400 lipsticks,
and now this.
We need much stronger regulations, contrary to what the #gop would have us
believe, especially for foods.
And you thought "organics" were safe? Think again.

"Is there arsenic in your rice?
Probably.
That's the news behind a study that found surprisingly high levels of arsenic in rice-based organic toddler formula and energy bars.
One toddler formula with organic brown rice syrup as the primary ingredient had
arsenic concentrations six times  the federal limit of 10 parts per billion for arsenic in drinking water.

There are NO federal limits for the amount of arsenic that's acceptable in food. :blink:
So why is arsenic in rice?
The plant apparently has an affinity for arsenic, a toxic element that occurs naturally in soil and groundwater.
Arsenic also shows up in apple and grape juice, according to tests conducted by Consumer Reports. As a result of those tests, earlier this month legislation was introduced calling for the Food and Drug Administration to establish standards for arsenic and lead in fruit juice."

http://www.npr.org/b...bad?ft=1&f=1025

So how long have we been ingesting arsenic? They plan to introduce legislation?
Unbelievable.
Nuclear tests in the desert for decades, lead in make-up, arsenic in food among
other things. Why are any of us alive?? :unsure:

#2 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 20 February 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

So how long have we been ingesting arsenic? They plan to introduce legislation?
Unbelievable.
Nuclear tests in the desert for decades, lead in make-up, arsenic in food among
other things. Why are any of us alive?? :unsure:

We're alive all right, but maybe we should ask why the pharmaceutical industry is worth billions upon billions. Why are cancer rates going up? Why are more and more children born with food allergies?

We're alive, and medical science can keep us alive longer than ever, except of course for our children who have a lower life expectancy than we do because of obesity, but the quality of life? I wouldn't say we're healthy. Cancer rates are going up but cancer deaths are going down, meaning we've just figured out how to prolong things for the most part.

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yes we are alive with increasing numbers of illnesses and some are new, no cure and weird. LOL
There is what they called safe amount and dangerous amount and maybe as long as its still on a safe amount, we can still live. And the power of our immune system helps us fight certain illnesses and conditions.

#4 Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 329 posts 34 rep

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

Arsenic is often found in the ground in areas where mining has taken place, and it apparently remains a problem and can contaminate crops for many years. I suppose the reason we're all still alive is that we're ingesting small amounts and building up a tolerance. The problem is, there will come a time when the tolerance level is reached, and what happens then? You'd think with all the technology available today something could be done about this, so that poisons don't find their way into our food chain - or is that asking too much?

#5 Hysssss-teria

Hysssss-teria

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 99 posts 19 rep

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Arsenic was also recently discovered in BABY FORMULA and BABY FRUIT JUICES.
The culprit: Brown Rice Syrup or Brown Rice Starch.
Brown rice syrup is used as a sweetener in baby formula and baby fruit juices. It was found in two out of 17 baby formulas tested, but nobody is releasing the names ( !!!!! )

Somebody did some digging and found names here, though:
http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/02162012high-levels-of-arsenic-found-in-baby-formula/
“Rice starch is commonly used in Infant Formulas (Enfamil AR®, Similac Sensitive® and Parent’s Choice™ Added Rice Starch ) to help reduce spit up, and in some formulations it has been clinically proven to reduce frequency and quantity of spit up.”

“Researchers at Dartmouth College tested 17 infant formulas. Two of these formulas listed organic brown rice syrup as the primary ingredient. One of these formulas had an arsenic level that was six times the federal legal limit of arsenic allowed in bottled water or public drinking water. It is noted that these high levels are particularly worrisome for babies because they are especially vulnerable to arsenic’s toxic effects due to their small size.”

“Currently the limit for arsenic in bottled water is 10 ppb (parts per billion). There is no federal limit for arsenic in fruit juices and most foods. According to Consumer Reports, legislation was recently introduced to the House of Representatives asking the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to establish standards for arsenic in foods and juices.”

#6 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

This is the same as the arsenic in the apple juice.  The FDA says that the levels of arsenic is 'safe' YET there are no regulations as to what is and isn't safe.  If you ask me there is no safe amount of arsenic but I dont see how the FDA can call it sick when they don't have regulations for it.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

"(using) Tubewells, has resulted in the worst chemical disaster in human history."
A strong statement.
You be the judge.
http://www.arsenic.l...ce01/Rice01.pdf

#8 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

This is all at some point going to be traced back to the levels of arsenic in the soil which is probably due to the levels of toxins in the water.  Scary scary stuff.

#9 redstarr

redstarr

Curious

• Shifter
  • 15 posts 0 rep

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Arsenic?! This is horrifying! When are going to be able to depend on the companies whose job it is to provide us with safe food? We should only have to contemplate what we choose to feed our families and should not have to worry about what foods being sold might kill us. Very sad.

#10 dconklin

dconklin

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 413 posts 14 rep

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I have heard of other problems showing up in the baby foods too.  When my girls were young, I mashed a lot of things for them to eat.  But the sad part is the juice, formula and cereal (of course Drs start them on rice cereal) are all something that we are told to give them.  Of course breast feeding is better, but formula is required when breast feeding is not an option.

Kind of makes me wonder if our ground is safe here for growing.  It was an old train turn around and when you dig deep in the dirt, you find broken glass and the flip tops to the cans.  I have found some weird light weight rocks too.  Our veggies tasted good last year, but I am wondering if the soil is safe?? Would have had to been long ago even tho I don't have to dig deep to find these items.  The house is in the historic category.

#11 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I heard about the arsenic in rice and the juices as well, a few months ago. I would guess that the regulators think and that is all, they think, that the body can absorb a certain amount of arsenic, even children and not be affected. But here's one better for your digestion.
Funeral directors have stopped embalming people because, bodies are being semi-preserved over time by eating the foods, sold in the market place, which contain multiple preservatives, and do most of the funeral director's job. Cheers.

#12 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:55 AM

View Postdconklin, on 02 April 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

I have heard of other problems showing up in the baby foods too.  When my girls were young, I mashed a lot of things for them to eat.  But the sad part is the juice, formula and cereal (of course Drs start them on rice cereal) are all something that we are told to give them.  Of course breast feeding is better, but formula is required when breast feeding is not an option.

Kind of makes me wonder if our ground is safe here for growing.  It was an old train turn around and when you dig deep in the dirt, you find broken glass and the flip tops to the cans.  I have found some weird light weight rocks too.  Our veggies tasted good last year, but I am wondering if the soil is safe?? Would have had to been long ago even tho I don't have to dig deep to find these items.  The house is in the historic category.
I know you can get your soil tested for ph levels from the county extension office, but to have it tested
for poisons, you'd have to research that as to what companies to send the soil to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users