Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Percentage of renewables growing/California

wind solar biomass

7 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

"They were a year late, but in 2011 both Southern California Edison and San Diego Gas &
Electric Co. delivered 20 percent of their electricity from renewable sources, both utilities
said Thursday.

After a massive contracting spree, San Diego Gas & Electric Co. and Southern California

Edison reached the milestone last year.

In 2011, renewable energy sources such as wind, solar, geothermal, biomass and hydroelectric represented more than 20 percent of the power provided to our 1.4 million electric customers,

"This is a terrific accomplishment given the fact that we had just 1 percent renewable power in our portfolio 10 years ago and about 12 percent renewables in our power portfolio in 2010."

http://www.nctimes.c...cad10ad834.html

#2 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Especially in a state like California with so much population to serve and poor financial performance as of late, this is very good news. I just wish this kind of news made it to large news outlets more often so people could see that there are gains being made and it is worth supporting those making the shift. Unfortunately, too much of this ends up showing up in trade journals and press release web sites where it is often quickly forgotten.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:03 AM

View PostjasserEnv, on 18 February 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Especially in a state like California with so much population to serve and poor financial performance as of late, this is very good news. I just wish this kind of news made it to large news outlets more often so people could see that there are gains being made and it is worth supporting those making the shift. Unfortunately, too much of this ends up showing up in trade journals and press release web sites where it is often quickly forgotten.
That's why sites like this are essential on the net. :biggrin:
Helping to raise awareness. msm is not reporting what is happening, only the "flash" stuff.
(Case in point, and no offense to Whitney Houston or her fans, but all 3 news stations, (msnbc, cnn, and fox) had her
funeral coverage for 4-5 hours yesterday.)

#4 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

It is indeed sad all the focus on fame and celebrity at the expense of real issues in the world. And, even though some celebrities do take up the cause of animal welfare, the environment, etc, I often think that their roles as spokespersons don't seem to change the lack of focus that people have toward real issues instead of the celebrities themselves. I think that only schools and churches really have any chance of shaking kids before they become as shallow minded as some of their parents.

#5 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

I think it is important to highlight states and utilities that have gotten the message that green energy is environmentally smart and economically smart.  California has been a leader in these issues and although no technology or state is perfect, real accomplishments should be made much more mainstream to build a popular consensus here in the United States.  Other states in the North East and North West are trying to match California’s commitment to green energy and seeing the successes, causes more people to get behind these ideas in their home states also.

As far as the lack of focus by the media and others, well as Shortpoet said it can be fickle and short, but I think it is up to people like us to shape a positive narrative that provides solutions and hope for a better more sustainable world and talking about these accomplishments does just that.  I joined facebook because my kids said it would change my life, and help me keep up with everyone’s.  Honestly I check it every few days.  Now I am telling them and everybody else about Alt. Energy Shift because I think it will Really change their lives and the worlds for the better.  You guys make that possible.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Said with an "Elvis" southern drawl- "Ah, thank you. Thank you very much. :blush:

(And it's off topic, but I love all the information you bring to the forum too. Thanks again.) :biggrin: :tongue: :smile:

#7 j_pin

j_pin

Curious

• Shifter
  • 26 posts 3 rep

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm glad that they are now using 20 percent renewable energy (I live in SoCal and have Edison).

Hopefully we can speedily get that number up to 50%! Wouldn't that be fantastic?

#8 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

E3 wise,

I completely agree with you that it is up to people with a focus on sustainability to take up the task of educating and promoting other people to also take action. My only whine in all of this is that it is such a massive machine that we fight against in trying to do so. That is the unfortunate part, but I guess it wouldn't be much of a movement if it didn't take so much effort and dedication to cause change to occur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users