Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Awash with chemicals.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

The lack of regulations on cosmetics, lotions, shampoo's, etc, is allowing producers
to "bathe" us in chemicals at every turn. Dow & monsanto must be so proud. :angry:

"Quaternium-15, a formaldehyde-releasing preservative, contain lead, diethyl phthalate (a hormone disruptor that is widely used in plastics and has been linked to sperm damageand other
reproductive problems) or 1,4-Dioxane, a carcinogenic byproduct, formaldehyde.
There are few safety standards for cosmeticsin the United States,“companies are basically
making their own decisions about what’s safe enough to sell.”  

http://www.washingto...56cQ_story.html

#2 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

Because we're talking about this in others threads-I wanted to include this link.

Also-

http://www.altenergy...m-its-products/

http://www.altenergy...itive-for-lead/

#3 FlanneryCam

FlanneryCam

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 5 rep

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

That's why I'm trying to make my own products. I really want less chemicals in my life.

Anyone heard that Johnson and Johnson says it will remove cancern causing agents from its baby shampoo by a certain date!? Good for the babies, but what about the rest of us?

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

View PostFlanneryCam, on 27 August 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

Anyone heard that Johnson and Johnson says it will remove cancern causing agents from its baby shampoo by a certain date!?
Good for the babies, but what about the rest of us?
http://www.altenergy...m-its-products/

#5 aphil

aphil

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 100 posts 10 rep

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:41 AM

This is a subject I am passionate about. I found out a bit late, while fighting illness, and the switch to safe cosmetics helped me so much. I use safe soaps, shampoos and body oils. I do need a better recipe for a safe, EFFECTIVE :wink: deordorant though.
Anyway, I just  have to have that video shortpoet to send out to family and friends! How did you get it on here and how can I get it and utilize it? Thanks for sharing.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

View Postaphil, on 30 August 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

This is a subject I am passionate about. I found out a bit late, while fighting illness, and the switch to safe cosmetics helped me so much. I use safe soaps, shampoos and body oils. I do need a better recipe for a safe, EFFECTIVE :wink: deordorant though.
Anyway, I just  have to have that video shortpoet to send out to family and friends! How did you get it on here and how can I get it and utilize it? Thanks for sharing.
It's on You Tube-type in "The Story of Cosmetics."  And you're welcome. :biggrin:

#7 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

I always try to buy natural cosmetics or shampoos and cleaners, but they are really pricey. Now I make my own laundry detergent because it is so much cheaper to make on your own and you don't have those irritants in your own soaps. If you think about it, there are chemicals all over the place. From our air fresheners to our carpet cleaners. I'm surprised we have lasted this long.

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

View Poststeph84, on 02 September 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

I always try to buy natural cosmetics or shampoos and cleaners, but they are really pricey. Now I make my own laundry detergent because it is so much cheaper to make on your own and you don't have those irritants in your own soaps. If you think about it, there are chemicals all over the place. From our air fresheners to our carpet cleaners. I'm surprised we have lasted this long.
Like most species, we adopt to our surroundings-just like the fish do.
Posted Image

#9 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

Cleaning your clothes may be hazardous to your health if labels are not read.

"According to studies by University of Washington professor Dr. Anne Steinemann,
fragrant laundry detergents (and other cleaning products) contain large numbers of
volatile organic chemicals (VOCs).
In a 2010 study published in the journal Environmental Impact Assessment Review, Steinemann and
colleagues analyzed 25 popular cleaning products that contained fragrance, including laundry products, personal care products, cleaning agents and air fresheners.
They identified 133 VOCs—an average of 17 per product—including 24 classified as toxic or hazardous under U.S. federal law.
Each product contained between one and eight toxic or hazardous substances and 11 of them contained at least one carcinogenic Hazardous Air Pollutant (HAP) identified under the Clean Air Act."
Source

#10 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 07 July 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Cleaning your clothes may be hazardous to your health if labels are not read.

....25 popular cleaning products that contained fragrance, including laundry products, personal care products, cleaning agents and air fresheners....

I don't know how much hazard the actually is, but so many artificial fragrances seem to have an offensive odor themselves, more offensive than whatever odor is already there.  If the artificial fragrance does seem to make things better, chances are a good scrubbing is what is needed.  In my opinion.

#11 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

View Poststill learning, on 07 July 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

I don't know how much hazard the actually is, but so many artificial fragrances seem to have an offensive odor themselves, more offensive than whatever odor is already there.  If the artificial fragrance does seem to make things better, chances are a good scrubbing is what is needed.  In my opinion.
We are bombarded with chemicals every day from almost every product.
Posting the information may help people reduce the amount of chemicals in their lives.
Some, of course, will choose to ignore this information and dismiss the "hazard"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users