Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Scotts miracle- gro killing birds.

toxins pesticides fines

3 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:56 AM

"Scotts Miracle-Gro Co. has agreed to plead guilty to charges in federal court and pay $4.5 million
in fines in two incidents that date to 2008.
That year, the company recalled packages of wild birdseed coated with pesticides that were toxic to birds.

Court documents state that, from November 2005 to March 2008, Scotts distributed
73 million units of birdseed coated with insecticides called Storcide II and Actellic 5E.
This was done to keep insects from eating the seeds during storage.

Storcide’s label says the pesticide is “extremely toxic to fish and toxic to birds and other wildlife.”

Documents state that Scotts continued to sell the products despite warnings in the summer
and fall of 2007 from a pesticide chemist and an ornithologist, both of whom worked for the company.
Scotts officials said in 2008 that the fake numbers were the actions of a single manager who was later fired.
Court records state that the manager “intentionally misled EPA by assuring EPA officials that the products were registered, suggesting EPA had lost its files.”'

http://www.dispatch....m-in-fines.html

#2 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Ugh. So, they sold out one dude to "save" the company. I stopped using Miracle-Gro years ago and now I'm doubly glad. I have a local branch of the Audubon Society just down the road where I can get bird seed and I use seaweed or fish fertilizer for my plants. Organic.

#3 FlanneryCam

FlanneryCam

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 5 rep

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

That is just plain horrible! I cannot believe no one at the company made the connection that pesticides that will kill one thing and says it will kill birds shouldn't be anywhere near bird seed!

I faced pestcides poisoning animals they weren't supposed before. Whatever the city was spraying on the grass was killing the gophers. I took this to the Mayor as a 10 year old and the city counsel passed a pesticide ban. I was surprised that the city seemed to care so much. Living on the prairie the gophers were considered by most to be a pest. I think people were wondering what the pesticides were doing to their kids who played in those same fields...

#4 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

They're smart enough to go fishing, we must protect them.
http://www.onearth.o...rn-bird-brained

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users