Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Corporate criminals-

pollution climate change environment

5 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hall of shame-this years "awards" for some of the worst companies.
(Vote for the worst at link/site below)

"Syngenta-
Despite being banned in Europe Syngenta markets its herbicide Paraquat in the Global South. Thousands of farmers have already died due to the use of the product.
Vale-
In the midst of Amazonian rainforest Vale is constructing the Belo Monte dam with devastating consequences for the region's unique biodiversity and indigenous tribes.
Barclays-
Barclays, banking giant and the world’s fastest-growing food speculator,
drives up global food prices at the expense of the poorest.
Freeport-
For 45 years the US-mining corporation Freeport McMoran pollutes with its mine the environment in West Papua. Those who raise their voice get tortured or killed.
Tepco-
Against its better judgement, Tepco, Japan’s largest energy company,
grossly neglected the structural safety of its atomic power plants in order to cut costs.
Samsung-
In its factories, Samsung uses banned and highly-toxic substances without informing
and protecting its workers. The result: cancer."

http://www.publiceye.ch/en/vote/

Previous "winners" of the hall of shame awards.
Neste Oil, Anglogold Ashanti. Royal Bank of Canada, Roche, Newmont, BKW, Areva,
Glencore, Bridgestone, Novartis, Walt Disney, CitiGroup, Dow Chemical, Wal Mart,
Shell-Royal Dutch, KPMG.
http://www.publiceye.../hall-of-shame/

#2 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

I remember a documentary about the long term effect of pesticides in Japan farming industry. During the 60's Japan had widely use the insectecide in farming. The short term result is the boost in their production of their agricultural products. All are very happy. But then, research shows that these insectecide do had effect on the ecological balance of nature and even in humans.

Eventually after some protest, laws where passed and total banning of these pesticide was enforced over Japan. Good for the Japanese people. Bad for the pesticide companies.

But, these companies just simply shifted their markets to other third world countries. I can still see those pesticides being used by farmers today. The same pesticides that was banned long time ago in Japan.

#3 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

Should the cigarette producing companies be included on the list?
We know cigarette is dangerous to our health and to the environment but still those companies are producing lots of cigarettes just because of their large profits. It had killed a lot already and causes so many diseases and pollution in the air.

To those companies included in the link, some are really famous or popular like Nestle and Samsung.  Better that they change for the better and not just think of money!

#4 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

I voted for Barclays because without food security, it seems to me nothing else can be done. Local people who spend all their money and time trying to feed their families do not have the means or incentive to react against multinational companies who come to their countries to exploit their natural resources and pollute their environment. Those companies offer starvation wage jobs, which people are grateful to have because they're starving. Not to mention places in the world where plenty of people are starving without jobs. Without food there is no life. Food security gives people the strength to stand up for their rights.

Also, I'd vote for Monsanto if it was on the list.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

View Postjoeldgreat, on 24 January 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

I remember a documentary about the long term effect of pesticides in Japan farming industry. During the 60's Japan had widely use the insectecide in farming. The short term result is the boost in their production of their agricultural products. All are very happy. But then, research shows that these insectecide do had effect on the ecological balance of nature and even in humans.

Eventually after some protest, laws where passed and total banning of these pesticide was enforced over Japan. Good for the Japanese people. Bad for the pesticide companies.

But, these companies just simply shifted their markets to other third world countries. I can still see those pesticides being used by farmers today. The same pesticides that was banned long time ago in Japan.
Pesticide use is the reason that Japanese farmers have to pollinate their pear trees by hand-all the bees
in that region are gone.

#6 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

I had to vote for Vale. Dams are so destructive in general and when you place them in an area like the Amazon with so much biodiversity, you are doing irreperable harm and inevitably causing loss of habitat and species in the process. Segnmenting populations above and below a dam as well as around a water reservoir is something that has been studied to death in many parts of the world and it is just bad news for the ecosystem of an area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users