Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Oklahoma "crossroads" wind farm-up & running.

renewables wind energy

2 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:37 AM

"The 227.5 megawatt Crossroads wind farm in Dewey county is complete, Oklahoma
gas and electric company announced.

The Crossroads wind farm in Dewey County adds 227.5 megawatts of renewable generating
capacity to OG&E's fleet, meaning the utility company can meet about 10 percent of its customers' energy requirements with wind.
“The Crossroads wind power project will meet the electrical needs of about 70,000 average homes,”
said Jesse Langston, OG&E's vice president of retail energy. “Crossroads also will deliver significant net savings to our customers for the balance of the project's 25-year expected life.”

http://newsok.com/ok..._financial-news

#2 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Great posting  I read the news article and was very happy to see that they have started using some of the new  three 3-megawatt, direct-drive Siemens turbines representing the next generation of renewable wind energy technology.

Both GE and Siemens are starting to integrate the direct drive technology into their product lines.  The direct drives can work at both higher and lower wind speeds and also eliminate the need for step up and step down transformers meaning that the amount of loss through transforming is eliminated.  Also these turbines actually cost less to manufacture and maintain meaning lower cost to utilities and customers.

Add to this that the minimum life span is 25 years and with upkeep the fact that they can last as many as 60 years and you see that this can be a real low cost over time eco friendly way to produce electricity.

Finally I know some on will bring up the issue of noise and birds.  These turbines-direct drive, eliminate over 85% of noise from turbines and finally as someone who has been designing wind farms for over 20 years, I have honestly never seen a study that concluded a significant risk to birds, bats or wild life, that said we place turbines in rural areas with a conceious effort to stay away from migration routes because honestly we don’t know what we don’t know and its better safe than sorry.

E3Wise

#3 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Bravo! I love that it's their 3rd wind farm and they already have plans for another. 10 percent doesn't sound like all that much until you see the figure of 70,000 homes and then you realize that every 10 percent matters. A lot. Gets us just that much closer to energy independence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users