Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Warning. This animation will make you cry.

17 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

Time lapse map of every nuclear explosion since 1945.
http://www.celsias.c...explosion-1945/

And people wonder why we dying of cancers all over the globe?

#2 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

OMG and really?! :ohmy:
Some if not majority of those explosions are even useless for the sake of testing how to destroy the earth. :sad:

#3 magickat

magickat

Curious

• Shifter
  • 29 posts 1 rep

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Appalling stuff! I cannot understand why anyone could still want to harness nuclear power in this way having seen its destructive potential all to graphically.

#4 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

At first I thought 14 minutes was too long, but I was glued to it the whole time. That was jaw-dropping. I didn't realize there had been so many. My god. And yes, I don't see how that amount of radiation over that amount of time could fail to have serious negative consequences on our health. I'm just stunned.

#5 Jessi

Jessi

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Whoa. It was the last minute of it that made me stop and go "wow, really??" I know there have been a lot, but there's something about seeing it mapped out like that that makes it look so much worse than I realized.

#6 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

View Postmagickat, on 17 January 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

Appalling stuff! I cannot understand why anyone could still want to harness nuclear power in this way having seen its destructive potential all to graphically.

What connection do you see between the destructiveness of nuclear bombs and nuclear powerplants?

In general, critics of nuclear electricity don't cite nuclear bomb type of explosion as a reason for avoiding nuclear electricity.

#7 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:57 AM

View Poststill learning, on 17 January 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

What connection do you see between the destructiveness of nuclear bombs and nuclear powerplants?

In general, critics of nuclear electricity don't cite nuclear bomb type of explosion as a reason for avoiding nuclear electricity.
Correct. But then there's Chernobyl and Fukushima.

#8 Ansem

Ansem

Regular

• Shifter
  • 91 posts 5 rep

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 18 January 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Correct. But then there's Chernobyl and Fukushima.
Fukushima stayed some, Chernobyl was a disaster.
Also this quite shocks me, but then again, from the united states it wasn't surprising.
It's rare they actually do something that improves the world instead of worsen it.

#9 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostAnsem, on 25 January 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Fukushima stayed some, Chernobyl was a disaster.
Also this quite shocks me, but then again, from the united states it wasn't surprising.
It's rare they actually do something that improves the world instead of worsen it.

Not sure what "stayed some" means but in my opinion both Crernobyl and Fukushima were disasters.  Chernobyl the much greater disaster from the radioactive contamination viewpoint, but both were disasters .  In neither case was there concern of a nuclear bomb type of explosion though, no fission explosion danger.  The ordinary explosions scattering radioactive material from the reactors were quite enough.  Both disasters could have been much greater.

"from the united states it wasn't surprising"
And the other nations?  USSR/Russia, Britain, France, China, India, Pakistan, North Korea?

#10 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

I am shocked at the number of the bombs because one never sees them in one instance or at once. I think the effects of those bombs is more than cancer and we carry them without our knowledge and scientist are yet to find them.  We better wake up and smell disaster before it completely wipes us out.

#11 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

View Postkat74, on 25 January 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

...... I think the effects of those bombs is more than cancer and we carry them without our knowledge and scientist are yet to find them.  We better wake up and smell disaster before it completely wipes us out.

Two things:
What sort of unknown effects do you think there are?  Why do you think that effects are there yet to be found?
Don't forget that two Japanese cities were targets for atom bombs in 1945.  Public health has been followed in those cities pretty carefully http://www.hss.energ...an_radiate.html.  Apparently nothing unexpected.  For those caught in the blasts but not killed, the usual sorts of blast injuries and burns plus radiation sickness and later increased cancer risk.  For those exposed to severe fallout but not blast, radiation sickness and allied effects and later cancer risk.  For those exposed to lower level radioactive fallout, increased cancer risk.  Don't think there's been any heritable mutations found.

Wake up?  You are aware that the major nuclear powers don't set off nuclear explosions anymore?  Also that the later testing was underground, without radioactivity reaching the atmosphere and getting spread around?  Took a long time to wake up, an unconscionably long time, but it looks to me like the major powers have.  Need to make sure we don't forget though.  Need to keep at reducing the numbers of nuclear bombs/warheads too.

#12 hatteubanal

hatteubanal

Curious

• Shifter
  • 15 posts 0 rep

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Holy crap! What the hell are these people thinking?1?!?! This is really shocking. I was unaware that so many tests had been done and I believe they're still doing more. What scared me most was that a lot of tests were done near my country. How could the government allow such things? Un-freaking-believable!

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

View Posthatteubanal, on 03 February 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Holy crap! What the hell are these people thinking?1?!?! This is really shocking. I was unaware that so many tests had been done and I believe they're still doing more. What scared me most was that a lot of tests were done near my country. How could the government allow such things? Un-freaking-believable!
Allow?
They were the ones doing the testing.

#14 hatteubanal

hatteubanal

Curious

• Shifter
  • 15 posts 0 rep

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 03 February 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Allow?
They were the ones doing the testing.

My bad. What I meant was "our" government. I'm from the Philippines. Some of the tests were done within our territories. The must have some control over this somehow. Come to think of it, I shouldn't have bothered asking. Our country's so-called leaders have been kissing the US government's ass for as long as we can remember. :(

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Posthatteubanal, on 03 February 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

My bad. What I meant was "our" government. I'm from the Philippines. Some of the tests were done within our territories. The must have some control over this somehow. Come to think of it, I shouldn't have bothered asking. Our country's so-called leaders have been kissing the US government's ass for as long as we can remember. :(
http://en.wikipedia....tates_relations
(In the 40's, the US gave the Philippines their independence. I'd have to look at the video again to see the
time line of the testing, but either way, we had bases there for many years.)

#16 still learning

still learning

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 886 posts 162 rep

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

View Posthatteubanal, on 03 February 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Hm..
You think that nuclear bomb testing is still being done?  By which nations?
As far as I can tell, North Korea detonated test bombs in 2009 and 2006, Pakistan and India in 1998. Last US test in 1992. If you have other information, please share it.
http://en.wikipedia....weapons_testing

"How could the government allow such things?"
"Some of the tests were done within our territories."

Testing done in Phillipine territory?
Where and when?
The US did testing in the Marshall Islands, looks like about 3000 km to the east of the Phillppines.  Chinese testing to the north, maybe a little farther away.  1945 wartime nuclear bomb use on Hiroshima and Nagasaki a little closer.  
I don't think the Phillipine government would've had any say-so. regarding US nuclear bomb testing in a US administered area that far away.

" How could the government allow such things?"
I'd say learn some history, twentieth century history anyway, the cold war and the events leading up to it.  Both the East and the West had good reason to be somewhat suspicious of one another and suspicion deepened into paranoia on both sides with the arms race resulting, the nuclear arms race being a major part of that.  Very luckily for the world there hasn't been an outright war between nations that both have nuclear weapons.

#17 saver

saver

Regular

• Shifter
  • 61 posts 2 rep

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

That initially seems like a lot of blasts, mainly due to the fact the tests aren't advertised that well, so our perception is of fewer.

But this doesn't put me off nuclear power.
I know people will read into the facts what they want to see, and my mind can't help but think nuclear isn't that bad if all those tests have taken place and the world isn't more damaged.

#18 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:01 AM

View Postsaver, on 10 April 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

can't help but think nuclear isn't that bad if all those tests have taken place and the world isn't more damaged.
Compared to what? How do we know the damage we've caused? Will we ever?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users