Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Chipotle's commitment to sustainable food

12 replies to this topic

#1 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

So I don't go out to eat very often and when I do I avoid chain restaurants because it's such a treat I want to try fabulous local restaurants. But, I think I may have to visit a Chipotle in the near future. The
restaurant chain is, among other things:

It is committed to sourcing local, humanely raised food as much as possible and has started a foundation called the Chipotle Cultivate Foundation "dedicated to creating a sustainable, healthful and equitable food future" that supports family farmers, among other things.

I did not know any of this until today. I am impressed. They've set a bar for other nationwide and global chains and I hope others try to attain it as well.

#2 MakingCents

MakingCents

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 335 posts 23 rep

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

I do admire Chipotle for this, and Ilove their food so much that it makes me feel even better about eating there.  It's good to see a major company like this take a stand for the greater good.

#3 Mon-Jes

Mon-Jes

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 168 posts 12 rep

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

I haven't eaten there yet, but it's on my list. Especially because McD's apparently sold it a few years ago, so it's no longer part of teh eebil chain. :-)

#4 brihooter

brihooter

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 2 rep

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Chiplolte is so good!!  I have only had the chance toeat there about 3 times though.  I didn't know this either until you posted it :)

#5 SpiroFlo

SpiroFlo

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 181 posts 12 rep

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

Pity I prefer Qdoba (wife still prefers Chipotle though -- Colorado grown as they are -- so I still eat there).

#6 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

So an update on Chipotle - even though this ad is older now, they played it at the Grammys this year, which prompted Missouri Farm Bureau President Blake Hurst to write an op-ed piece for The New York Times defending the ugly practices of big ag - namely, factory farming. Grist has a really good analysis of and response to that piece this morning and it made me happy (and a little self-righteous, I admit) to read it. Take that, big ag.

http://grist.org/fac...d-scare-big-ag/

#7 redstarr

redstarr

Curious

• Shifter
  • 15 posts 0 rep

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

I had no idea! I think I have only eaten at Chipolte once. Now that I hear this encouraging news, I will have to visit a bit more frequently.

#8 Ansem

Ansem

Regular

• Shifter
  • 91 posts 5 rep

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

I think it's either the first time I have respect, or this is the greatest respect I've ever had for a company.
Especially in todays world where everything is about making profit at the cost of both quality and employees.

#9 happyrocinante

happyrocinante

Curious

• Shifter
  • 46 posts 0 rep

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I love Chipolte's!  I am so glad to hear they have such wonderful standards!  The closest one to me is an hour away but when I go shopping in town I usually try and get some to take home.  Thanks for the video.

#10 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

I also seldom dine out as I prefer home cooked meals.
Not sure if there is a chipotles restaurant here and I actually learned about this food chain only on this thread. It is really nice to know a company or a food chain that cares not only for their profit but also to animals and environment. But definitely they could gain more customers for being such kind of company.

#11 FamilyTreeClimber

FamilyTreeClimber

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 780 posts 98 rep

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I rarely eat out.  It's too expensive.  However, I am encouraged to hear that restaurants are thinking more about where our foods comes from and working towards sustainability.  The more that these companies choose better options the more acceptable they become.  Then industry will try to cater to them to get their business.

#12 FlanneryCam

FlanneryCam

Regular

• Shifter
  • 92 posts 5 rep

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

I wish we could push more and more fast food restaurants to think about where they are sourcing their foods! I will happily give more business to restaurants that go for more sustainable choices.

I tend to prefer Qdoba because we have one in our area. But next time I'm in a town with a Chipotle I will definitely give them my business for deciding to take a stand.

#13 ACSAPA

ACSAPA

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 237 posts 21 rep

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

View PostFamilyTreeClimber, on 09 May 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

I rarely eat out.  It's too expensive.  However, I am encouraged to hear that restaurants are thinking more about where our foods comes from and working towards sustainability.  The more that these companies choose better options the more acceptable they become.  Then industry will try to cater to them to get their business.

I also don't eat out that much because I'm frugal and trying to save money by cooking at home.  But I also like that Chipotle is the largest restaurant buyer of humanely raised meat, so I might have to try their food sometime. I like sustainability and burritos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users