Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Mining our ocean vents.

copper gold toxins

19 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:12 AM

A mining story we may have missed.(from March 2011) -

"Numerous companies are moving ahead rapidly with plans to mine copper, gold
and other minerals near hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor.
Biologist Cindy Van Dover warns that without environmental safeguards, the unique
ecosystems of deep sea vents could be severaly damaged.
Deep-sea mining is attracting growing interest from mining companies and could begin in earnest in just a few years.
Two firms — Canada’s Nautilus Minerals and Australia’s Bluewater Metals — have stepped up exploration of underwater mountain ranges in the South Pacific. China and Russia have expressed interest in mining the seabed below the Indian and Atlantic oceans, respectively.
And a recent report by Nautilus suggests the deep ocean produces several billion tons of minerals each year, including vast amounts of copper.

As the prospect of undersea mining grows ever more likely, one major question looms:
Can these valuable minerals be extracted on a large scale without causing significant environmental damage, particularly to the unique ecosystems near the deep hydrothermal vents where the minerals accumulate?"
Full interview here:

http://e360.yale.edu...l_impacts/2375/

#2 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 05 January 2012 - 04:12 AM, said:

As the prospect of undersea mining grows ever more likely, one major question looms:
Can these valuable minerals be extracted on a large scale without causing significant environmental damage, particularly to the unique ecosystems near the deep hydrothermal vents where the minerals accumulate?"

Of course not. I believe the engineers will design the safest and most efficient systems they can, because engineers love to do that. Then, the companies will say their systems are too expensive. They'll go back to the drawing board and try to figure out where they can cut corners. Corners will then be cut, but things will be "within the safety margin" and some engineers won't be happy. Then, as the project is taken out of the hand of the engineers, and put into the hands of the people who install it and run it and maintain it, a few more corners will be surreptitiously cut to save a few more dollars and most people won't know it and only a few people will know all the corners that were cut from the beginning to the end of the project, and they'll deny it once an accident happens. And an accident will happen and more pollution and toxic chemicals will spew into the ocean where dead zones are growing from the pollution already there.

Pessimistic mood today.

#3 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

I hear ya. It's hard to stay positive when so much *&%^ is going on. :huh:

#4 E3 wise

E3 wise

Shifted

• Premium Shifter
  • 1,027 posts 286 rep

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have to agree 100% with you guys.  These areas harbor many unique and unknown life forms.  Last night on the PBS news I saw a report on a new vent system found off Antarctica.  The scientist said that several new species have been identified.  There is no way mining these areas can be safe for these creatures or the surrounding oceans.  It’s terrible to think they could be destroyed by companies like these. Areas like this should be set aside as preserves and studied, not destroyed by greed.  Thanks for the posting.

#5 sculptor

sculptor

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 132 posts 26 rep

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

cost is an issue

the reason we don't have much in the way of undersea archaelogy nor exploration is tied to costs
and that would only need be done at 120 meters(390ft)

mining at the depths in question would need a whole new technology to be viable

in a way, having venture capital companies bear the cost of building out that tool kit, might help unravel a whole field of mysteries surrounding our past circa 20,000ybp

provide a % for archaelogy?

#6 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Mining on lands are destrcutive and that what I also think about mining on ocean vents and that's no exception to the rules. :tongue:
They will get all valuable things they could get from it since it will cost them too much money/investments to explore un the ocean. And that could mean in all means even destroying any life form or habitat that could come their way to earn billions on such mining project. Really hard not to think all those bad effects of mining as it was the fact that can not be just ignored.

#7 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

The Mining Boom saw Australia through the Global Financial Crisis, so I'm not one to bite the hand that feeds. Mines only operate in response to demand for resources. For Australia, that demand came from a growing and modernising China. To curb demand you would have to make countries such as China not want to modernise and upgrade their cities and infrastructure. That's a pretty big ask. Best policy is to just ensure that mining companies are bound to 'original earth' restrictions within a certain time limit at the end of the life of the mine. In Australia we are fortunate as most of our mines our outback strip mines that quickly recover once revegetated - there are numerous companies in the renewal of mine industry as the government mandates that a mine must be returned to it's original habitats at the end of the lease.

Now underwater mining is a whole different kettle of fish. In reality the constant pressure of water makes it virtually impossible to mine for solids. The vent mining is more of a filtration of output rather than an actual penetration of the seabed. Just as springs filter tiny bits of gold after rains, these vents filter tiny metalli particles out in to the layer around the vent - that surface layer would be scraped and filtered of heavy metals. Without a certain percentage of that being gold or platinum the whole operation becomes worthless. At least that's what my Investment broker has told me. He also said that even if any of them were successful they wouldn't be in operation for at least 8 years.

#8 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

From a 2007 article.

"A Canadian-based company is currently planning the world's first commercial undersea exploration for high-grade
gold and copper. They are targeting an area known as the Manus backarc basin off the coast of Papua New Guinea.
These deep sea hydrothermal vents could be the most ancient sites of life on Earth.

The mining operations will use a strip-mining approach to remove deposits within the top 20 metres of the seafloor,
using remotely operated underwater mine cutters and a hydraulic pump system to transfer roughly two million tons
of ore per year to the surface.

The process will also raise the concentrated nutrients from the deep sea to the relatively nutrient-poor surface waters
of the ocean, causing algal blooms and potentially contaminating waters."

http://www.scienceda...70517142603.htm
From 2011 article.
http://www.realfijin...-begin-in-2013/

#9 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

The second article basically said what my Broker told me. The mine in PNG may start operations by 2013, but it won't be until 2020 when it becomes profitable. To quote the second article :

"For the foreseeable future, simple economics provides some reassurance that vents will not be trashed en masse. Perhaps 1 per cent of vent fields contain commercially viable mineral deposits, estimates Mark Hannington, an economic geologist at the University of Ottawa in Canada. But if prices of copper and gold rise, the incentives will shift."

So given there's 72 known pluming vents and only 1 percent is viable, it looks like the PNG back arc is the only one to worry about at this time and they seem to have their environmental impact responsibilities well in hand , to quote again -

"Solwara 1 is a relatively quiet vent field that includes dormant chimneys and none of the gushing "black smokers" seen at the most spectacular vents. Still, chimneys venting hot water host vibrant populations of animals including Ifremeria nautilei snails and Eochionelasmus ohtai barnacles, which will be destroyed by mining. Nautilus is establishing a reserve site some 2.5 kilometres away, from which larvae should recolonise the mined area once operations cease, after 30months or so. To minimise damage from mining spoil, particles larger than 8 micrometres across will be removed by the processing ship, before waste water is returned to the ocean, about 50metres above the seabed."

Ironically it is the Scientists who are in fact doing more damage to the vents than the prospectors as they are dealing with the vents themselves rather than the surrounds.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:54 AM

And how many hectares of land were trashed in this country just for a small amount of gold? The small
percentage won't stop them. Copper mining too.

#11 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

The resilience of mother nature to rebound is underestimated. For Example, the Heard and McDonald Islans, considered the world least hospitable suffered a major volcanic eruption only a few years ago, completely wiping every last bit of life off the islands, now 3 years later the islands are completely revegetated and more bird colonies are living there than ever before. And it did all that by itself - mainly with bird droppings. There's an awful lot of hectares in the world, using a few for mining isn't as big a problem as water contamination from bad mining practices. This is why we need strong co-operation between the environmental agencies and the mining companies. Let's accept the fact that in the modern world we've a great need for minerals, i;m typing this on a machine made from many of those minerals, as are we all - let's not be hypocrites about it. We all want prosperity and a clean earth - we can have both, it just takes a little effort.

#12 Green Thumb

Green Thumb

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 135 posts 7 rep

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

View Postarboramans, on 11 January 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

The resilience of mother nature to rebound is underestimated. For Example, the Heard and McDonald Islans, considered the world least hospitable suffered a major volcanic eruption only a few years ago, completely wiping every last bit of life off the islands, now 3 years later the islands are completely revegetated and more bird colonies are living there than ever before. And it did all that by itself - mainly with bird droppings. There's an awful lot of hectares in the world, using a few for mining isn't as big a problem as water contamination from bad mining practices. This is why we need strong co-operation between the environmental agencies and the mining companies. Let's accept the fact that in the modern world we've a great need for minerals, i;m typing this on a machine made from many of those minerals, as are we all - let's not be hypocrites about it. We all want prosperity and a clean earth - we can have both, it just takes a little effort.

First the reasons must be weight. You can’t just go about accepting every change because although freedom is a choice your choice may not be the choice of others because they weigh things first. They look at the reasons as to why undergo big ventures, what for, who would benefit, how would it affect the environment, how safe it is, how would the big bodies of water react on it, what change would it bring - there are so many questions that has to be answered first before they could be let out there to penetrate the tranquil deep which bodies haven’t had the experience of being maneuvered and clawed and then their richness being suck out of them. People I believe are open-minded for change that’s why new ideas and discoveries surface the thing is being open-minded isn’t enough. It comes with BIG responsibility. Deep water exploration is one thing, conquering what you have explored is another.

"Nothing in this world works the way you think it does"- Jordan Maxwell

#13 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:24 AM

View PostGreen Thumb, on 13 January 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

They look at the reasons as to why undergo big ventures, what for, who would benefit, how would it affect the environment, how safe it is, how would the big bodies of water react on it, what change would it bring -
There is only one reason for this-$$$. All other considerations to them are moot.

#14 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Well the bottom line is the driving force in business. No one goes into business to lose money. Money is just the way we put a value on our limited time on earth. There's nothing inherently wrong with money. Often people will say that money is the root of all eveil, they are in fact mis-quoting, it is ' the love of money is the root of all evil'. Greed - or taking more than your fair share are negative human traits - money is an inanimate object with no motivations or concerns. The problem then with money comes from Usury. Sharia banking systems would be much more environmentally friendly as they would form co-operatives between different groups and varying viewpoints would be heard.

I don't see the point of having the resources all locked away underground when we could be using them. Take what is needed, don't contaminate the air/water and return the site to it's natural state afterwards and I can't see a problem. Most of the advanced western countries have laws to ensure this happens - the problem mines are usually in countries with little or no environmental regulation. It's the laws of those countries we should be worried about.

#15 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

How can we expect other countries to protect their precious resources, when we have gas fracking,
strip mining for coal, deep sea drilling for oil in this country?
Resource protection is at the bottom of the list to too many.

#16 sculptor

sculptor

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 132 posts 26 rep

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

View Postarboramans, on 13 January 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

Well the bottom line is the driving force in business. No one goes into business to lose money. ...

Ahem:
arboramans,
maybe you haven't been following the shake-out of corporate america, but many do indeed go into business to lose money-----------but not their money-----------there is an industry acronym OPM which is short for "Other people's money", and in the modern corporate world, losing that is no great sin

for example, Solyndra secured massive financing to produce solar panels that were less than 1/2 as efficient as the industry standard, and went broke, losing vast amounts of "Other people's money"

now lets look at the players in the aforementioned sea floor mining venture.

Nautilus has been at this game for 5-6 years and is still bleeding tens of millions of dollars every year
blue water is a consortium of a treasure hunting company and a geologists
and all
they have done so far is test drilling
their plan is to use remote operated vehicles(rovs) to work the sea-floor at 1600 meters(about a mile down)
you may recall the futile attempts and cost of using rovs to cap the deep water horizon's leaking well
these will guide a dredge which pumps an "ore rich" slurry to the surface for processing

and the plan is to run the machines from a ship to be built for herren and partner which the joint venture will lease for $70,000/day

as an investor, i wouldn't give these guys a single dime of my money, if however, i was running an investment fund, i might consider investing OPM -----well, maybe not me, but someone with a sense of entitlement and no sense of responsibility might, and someone most probably has

deep water mining one mile down is at best a crap shoot

would you gamble with OPM?
it's a wild dream that might come true, but comes with odds that are a tad too steep for my tastes

#17 jasserEnv

jasserEnv

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 406 posts 45 rep

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:15 AM

The thing about business is that so many people in it are not good at it. They might be good at getting the money to start in the first place by building a vision around what they are doing but they cannot execute on the plans or the idea was not one that had a good chance of making money. Unfortunately, it is often the environment that pays the price. The businesses will cut corners to reduce costs and the corners they cut are things like environmental standards which aren't included in the profit equation. I can imagine in the case of mining ocean vents that broken equipment would end up littering the areas around the vents because bringing it to the surface would be too costly.

#18 Guest_arboramans_*

Guest_arboramans_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

As I mentioned earlier, people who analyse the figures for a living say it's a no-go for investment, hence why I'm not worried and why I think any kind of alarm does more harm than good. Constant bleating about the potential dangers of everything sounds like a nagging fishwife. After a while people tune it out. We're losing momentum as a movement because of our negativity - everything's always going tobe a calamitous disaster - and yet years later whatever the problem was has been cleared up or sorted out or whatever. We act like the planet is a crystal vase taht could smash to pieces when it's more like a stress ball that can handle anything and still return to it's shape.

#19 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

View Postarboramans, on 17 January 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

Constant bleating about the potential dangers of everything sounds like a nagging fishwife.
:laugh:
Good one.

#20 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

I think mining in deep waters are more dangerous than in land. It would be better to develop first a technology that will ensure the safety of all miners as well as the safety of our environment. No matter how we look at it, it will always entail an effect in our ecosystem. No matter how small, if accumulated in long time will surely devaste marine life. The good thing is that, this will surely not happenng in our lifetime. So let's mine our ocean and harness its mineral deposit while it lasts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users