Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Thinking of a new year's diet?

salmonella toxins e. coli

5 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:36 AM

Remembering these incidents may help us all eat less, eat local.

(And demand stricter standards from the FDA.)

http://www.huffingto...11_Blue_Plastic

#2 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:57 AM

Quite right, we never know which dangerous substance has gotten into what stuff. Adulteration, carelessness in collection and preservation or transporting-all seem to add items so disagreeable to safe food. It gets quite confusing at times what would be a safe food to survive. Radiation in fish and adulterated liquour? Hmmm..watch out!!

#3 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'll be growing a lot more of my vegetables this year. Got a seed catalog in the mail a couple of days ago and am planning now. Between early crops in the spring and things that can grow into the winter, like kale, we'll have something like 8 months of fresh produce. Not enough to replace all store-bought, but a good, money saving addition. And, I'll be doing this on a 3.5 foot x 12 foot apartment balcony. I'll also only be buying meat and eggs from local, organic farmers I know of and trust. The eggs are a reasonable price considering they're a large source of protein for us, replacing meat, but the meat, which is expensive, will be a treat. It's healthier eating more vegetarian anyway.

#4 Alli

Alli

Regular

• Shifter
  • 98 posts 8 rep

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:28 AM

It is so scary... the food safety thing can strike anyone, anywhere- even very healthy foods get infected (the sprouts, cantaloupe, etc.) I really need to figure out how to start growing things in my apartment if I can. My partner really wants to get a mini citrus tree, so that might be our first step!

#5 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Very alarming to see or know healthy foods such as vegetables could be included the deadliest list.
Better to really grow our own foods although it would be very hard for us who do not have garden space anymore. We could plant on pots but for sure it could not supply or produce all we need. Caution on choosing food by knowing food sources, clean preparation and thorough or right cooking.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

If we had more people like Cesar Chavez fighting for Latinos, many of these problems might be a thing
of the past.
How can consumers expect sanitary produce when the pickers are forced to work in unsanitary conditions?
http://www.enchanted...merican/chavez/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users