Create a Free Account or Sign In to connect and share in green living and alternative energy forum discussions.

Sustainable resolutions

habits usage reduce

27 replies to this topic

#1 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

Yes folks, that time of (new) year, is once again upon us. :ohmy:

But since we're all geared towards living more sustainable lives here (but not always
able to be as green as we'd like to be, in certain areas)-

what are the green resolutions you will strive for in the new year?

#2 kat74

kat74

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 154 posts 9 rep

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

That will be save as much energy as I can, my environment around me has to b clean from plastic bags which all all over due to poor management. Those bags just make me so furious because they litter everywhere and the wind helps spread them. So next year I will not allow any bag near my house or the surrounding.

#3 artistry

artistry

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 852 posts 62 rep

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

I am going to write to a few people in Congress and ask what their iniatives are for reducing  pollution and greenhouse gases, in  the country. I want to see if anybody really gives a good one. We are closing in on very bad stuff here, in my opinion and I am interested in their agendas regarding this issue.

#4 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:00 AM

I don't usually make "resolutions" but there are a few things I've been planning on doing anyway. :)

Be more activist politically. Contact Congress, make my voice heard, petition...

Make more new things out of old things. Ramp up the crafting into the arts and see if I can create a sustainable business model with my work.

Grow more veggies, herbs and fruits on the balcony this year.

#5 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

View Postmariaandrea, on 22 December 2011 - 01:00 AM, said:

Be more activist politically. Contact Congress, make my voice heard, petition...
Excellent. We all need to do that with you.
C'mon everybody here-write, call, e-mail, tweet, facebook em'.

#6 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:48 AM

Greenpeace has helped all of us with their awareness campaigns.
They rock!
http://www.greenpeac...ut-you-20111221

#7 Alli

Alli

Regular

• Shifter
  • 98 posts 8 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:39 AM

I think a good one for me would be to use public transportation more and taxis less (we don't have a car ourselves.) In my immediate space, I plan to get a bunch of houseplants to improve indoor air quality.

#8 Pushhyarag2000

Pushhyarag2000

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 141 posts 5 rep

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:28 AM

• I'll walk as much as I can, avoiding car wherever I can.
  • I'll try to reduce my overall electricity consumption: by being more watchful about the heating load at home.
  • I'll try to keep reusable bag whenever I go out for shopping.

#9 makeitmom

makeitmom

Curious

• Shifter
  • 45 posts 2 rep

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

I promise to buy local first.
To always buy through my farmers market.
To ride my bike everyday, whether I'm going anywhere, or to just enjoying the scenery.
-- and when my bike fails to remind myself that walking is the 'higher power's' way of saying 'slow down and smell the roses'.
To never take anyone for granted, and let the people in your life know they're a blessing.

#10 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:16 AM

View PostAlli, on 22 December 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

I think a good one for me would be to use public transportation more and taxis less (we don't have a car ourselves.) In my immediate space, I plan to get a bunch of houseplants to improve indoor air quality.
Not to sidetrack this thread, but pathos is always a good plant. Almost impossible to kill, runners can be snipped
off, stuck in water til they sprout roots so you can start a new plant for free. And they don't require a lot of light,
so you can have plants in every room.
(If you plan on putting them outdoors in the summer, put them in a semi-shaded area; the leaves can burn
from direct sunlight.)

http://gardening.abo...ts/p/Pothos.htm

Ok, sorry-back to the topic at hand . :blush:

#11 eweaver15

eweaver15

Curious

• Shifter
  • 12 posts 1 rep

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Our family is working on creating a list of sustainable changes to make this year. We're going to make a big garden and raise some chickens to reduce our dependency on supermarkets as food costs rise. We are also going to build an outdoor kitchen that is electricity free so we can grill and use a wood powered oven to cut our electricity use.

#12 zararina

zararina

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 660 posts 19 rep

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

I also do not create/make resolutions but I think I could have some for next year specially for our environment.
- Will save more electricity and water.
- Reuse and recycle as much as possible.
- Have more plants even on plots.
- Will seldom use washing machine and dryer.

#13 joeldgreat

joeldgreat

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 162 posts 6 rep

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

Planting more trees, this is one of the most easiest to do. I had participated in various activities in the past years and this year alone I already had planted more than 20 trees. Hopefully by 2012 I may doubled the figures. If only one of us should be able to plant at least 10 trees in a years, then all our forest could be covered already.

#14 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 22 December 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

Excellent. We all need to do that with you.
C'mon everybody here-write, call, e-mail, tweet, facebook em'.

For anyone else who wants to do more in the political action arena, but doesn't have a lot of time, things like emailing or calling your senators and representatives is easy and adds your voice to important issues. This page on the US government website has listings for every elected official, with addresses, phone number and websites. Shoot them an email and tell them what you think. It's part of their job to listen to you.

http://www.usa.gov/C...t/Elected.shtml

Think about adding your voice to a petition that is monitored by the White House. When enough signatures are gathered, a response is made.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions

Contact the elected officials in your city and/or state and demand action on the issues that are important to you. Our government is by the people and for the people, but the people sometimes forget that because some of the politicians would rather not have us remember that.

#15 steph84

steph84

Activist

• Pro Shifter
  • 265 posts 12 rep

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

I am finally going to try to live off the grid this year and get some solar panels installed! I don't know if I want to get them in my backyard so that they are not on my roof. I just think that it's time. I've done my research and now I'm ready to live a cleaner life. I'm also going to plant more in my garden and try to advocate for a community garden.

#16 Shortpoet-GTD

Shortpoet-GTD

Shifted

• Validating
  • 8,025 posts 758 rep

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:20 AM

I contact mine so often, they probably know my favorite color by now.

In fact, kay bailey hutchinsen is quitting and hopefully, all of my e-mails telling her how wrong her votes were,
finally pushed her over the edge to quit. :laugh:

And boehner/mcconnell caved on the tax break extension, is large part because of my tweets. :wink:  

We all have to "embrace our inner brat" and scream, throw hissy fits and bang the floor with our feet-
to our elected officials until they hear us. :poke:

#17 kate

kate

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

View Postmariaandrea, on 22 December 2011 - 01:00 AM, said:

I don't usually make "resolutions" but there are a few things I've been planning on doing anyway. :)

Make more new things out of old things. Ramp up the crafting into the arts and see if I can create a sustainable business model with my work.

Grow more veggies, herbs and fruits on the balcony this year.

All wonderful ideas!!

I'm going to try to grow more of my own chicken feed and make better use of the lovely fertilizer my girls leave me!  I've also pledged to encourage my nieces and nephews into more sustainable lifestyles by planting a row of their favorite veggies, and helping then can and preserve whatever comes up.

This year, we'll plan our u-pick adventures better, so that we don't get short-circuited by horrible heat as we did last year!

Any day that is above freezing is a good day to hang out clothes on the line to dry, in my new resolution.  We are trying to cut way back on use of the dryer.

#18 kate

kate

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 27 December 2011 - 03:20 AM, said:

In fact, kay bailey hutchinsen is quitting and hopefully, all of my e-mails telling her how wrong her votes were,
finally pushed her over the edge to quit. :laugh:

And boehner/mcconnell caved on the tax break extension, is large part because of my tweets. :wink:  

We all have to "embrace our inner brat" and scream, throw hissy fits and bang the floor with our feet-

LOLOL.  So THAT'S why Boehner agreed??  Those must have been some powerful tweets!!

#19 fancyfingers

fancyfingers

Regular

• Pro Shifter
  • 149 posts 13 rep

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

My goals for the new year are: to reduce, recycle and reuse as much as I can and continue to gently remind family and friends to do the same. Not only plant a vegetable garden but plant fruit trees as well. Start crafting now so I will have Christmas presents finished before Thanksgiving.

#20 mariaandrea

mariaandrea

Activist

• Veteran Shifter
  • 722 posts 146 rep

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

View PostShortpoet-GTD, on 27 December 2011 - 03:20 AM, said:

I love my inner brat. She doesn't like me as well though, 'cuz I don't let her out to play as often as she would like, but she's going to love this upcoming year and "playing" with politicians. :biggrin:

And, excellent job on the tweeting! :wink:

View Postkate, on 31 December 2011 - 05:22 AM, said:

All wonderful ideas!!

This year, we'll plan our u-pick adventures better, so that we don't get short-circuited by horrible heat as we did last year!

Good one, and one I'm adding to my list. There's tons of u-pick places only 30 minutes from here but I forget about them until the season is over, or plan poorly and never get as much as I'd like. It's cheaper and I really want to do some canning this year. Thanks for the reminder! Hope you have a cooler summer. B)

View Postfancyfingers, on 31 December 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

Start crafting now so I will have Christmas presents finished before Thanksgiving.

Yeah, I have a crafting goal too, but good point. Can't let this one slide and must start now, or will regret later. It could end up like the baby blanket I started crocheting when my sister was pregnant. I gave the blanket to my niece for her sweet 16th birthday. :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users